Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes

Listers,
I have been wanting to paint the inner most part of my headlamps black (currently silver), to match the body color on my 98 black/black vert, and install angel eyes. I'm no stranger to putting headlamps in the oven to take them apart as I've done that to our Range Rover Sport with success for painting and angel eyes install, however the Jag headlamps are a total different animal and I am at a loss as to how to separate the glass and inner surround. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? I have searched and cannot find any info on this. Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Thanks much!

Attached Thumbnails Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes-wp_000076.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 05:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker
................ I'm no stranger to putting headlamps in the oven to take them apart as I've done that to our Range Rover Sport .............
What size oven have you got! I can't even get my car into our kitchen.

Do you want to remove the glass entirely or is separating the Lens (item 2) from the Housing (item 1) sufficient?

Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes-headlamp.jpg

(click on the diagram to enlarge it)

The diagram isn't the best but shows the slotted tabs around the edges of the Lens and Housing. With the headlamp unit out of the vehicle, these can be prised up to release them allowing the Lens to be separated from the Housing.

Graham

Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I know exactly what you're trying to do. I tried as well but those clear lenses are a b#%€h to get apart from the chrome shroud. I gave up.
Waiting on my 2006 HID lenses from gaudin. Already have my angel eyes too.
Already installed the larger ones in my chrome lenses but I'm adding the smaller when I do the lense swap to black interior.
Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes-image.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
Superchargedxkr (02-24-2023), User 070620 (08-05-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Listers,
I have been wanting to paint the inner most part of my headlamps black (currently silver), to match the body color on my 98 black/black vert, and install angel eyes. I'm no stranger to putting headlamps in the oven to take them apart as I've done that to our Range Rover Sport with success for painting and angel eyes install, however the Jag headlamps are a total different animal and I am at a loss as to how to separate the glass and inner surround. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? I have searched and cannot find any info on this. Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Thanks much!
Hey, just saw your car pic!
Good lookin'
Reminds me of another car!! Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes-image.jpg

Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Default Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. Yes the glass has to be separated from the reflective piece to be painted.....ugg! So the later lamps can be separated for painting? If so, what is the going cost?
PS I think we have similar tastes! Looks very nice!
Thanks again

Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. Yes the glass has to be separated from the reflective piece to be painted.....ugg! So the later lamps can be separated for painting? If so, what is the going cost?
PS I think we have similar tastes! Looks very nice!
Thanks again
Well, it's actually about the same to just order the 2006 HID lenses that come black from the factory. (I was quoted 400.00 at body shop not including rings, just painting!) You simply remove the headlamp assembly, unclip the lens (it's attached, plastic welded, to the chrome housing) and exchange it for the black interior lens.

I put my LED ring inside the lens housing opening with two part epoxy clay but some people attach them to the high beam reflector. I wired the rings to the parking light bulb in the assemble BUT!!!! Test before you re install!!! LED must be wire to pos neg properly or they won't work!! It really sucks to get them installed and find one side doesn't work!!!

FYI, I'll be selling my chrome lenses with the LED rings as soon as I replace with the black interior ones!!

The following users liked this post:
platinummaker (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Thanks. What are you having to pay for your new lenses? No such thing as an inexpensive mod to our Jags I guess!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. What are you having to pay for your new lenses? No such thing as an inexpensive mod to our Jags I guess!
SO TRUE!
I think in total, about 500.00. The other reason I went that way was because I've been warned that painting over the chrome usually ends up with it peeling from the heat down the line. And they usually leak water afterwards too. Not that mine don't fog from time to time as it is,
Now one mod that was unusually reasonable was swapping for the smoke Victory edition tail lights. You should check them out.
Painted Headlamp Surrounds and Angel Eyes-image.jpg

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi gents! The Victory tail lights look as sleek as it gets ! On my list whenever the fortune wills it
Philhef, could you give me your take on whether I could purchase the Xenon XKR (black) lens without the washer opening? Cars without the washers (mine ) have a washer delete as part of the headlight which leads me to the concern that I'd need to buy the black lenses w/washer assemblies only so I could delete the opening and leave them sitting unplugged . In other words, are there any black lens (xenon) XKs out there without washers?
Thanks in advance!
Danny.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dannyS
Hi gents! The Victory tail lights look as sleek as it gets ! On my list whenever the fortune wills it
Philhef, could you give me your take on whether I could purchase the Xenon XKR (black) lens without the washer opening? Cars without the washers (mine ) have a washer delete as part of the headlight which leads me to the concern that I'd need to buy the black lenses w/washer assemblies only so I could delete the opening and leave them sitting unplugged . In other words, are there any black lens (xenon) XKs out there without washers?
Thanks in advance!
Danny.
I just got my new 06 lenses in today! One had a damn clip broken but I don't think it will be a problem and Gaudin said I can return of it is and they'll replace. As for the washer, funny you mention it! My car had the 2002 halogen with washer but I noticed the new lenses have two tabs where the washer goes. I'm pretty sure you can use those tabs and epoxy dummy washer covers right over that location and BAM, they should look right!

Also, for anyone thinking about ordering LED rings for the interior, the sizes are 100mm for the high beam and 60 for the low beam. It really should be more like 65 but I found the low beam is actually a bit flat on the outer upper corner so 60 is as close as its gonna get!

I've reordered my rings (they don't make the ones i want in 60mm so i had to order a different style) for the new lenses and hope they'll be here first of next week so I'll take pics of installing in the lenses. This time though, I'm going to direct wire to a hot source so they come on with the ignition.

The following users liked this post:
dannyS (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM

Philhef thanks for your follow up but I'm confused. I took part #C2N2468 to my local dealership and the parts guys pulled the part and two things stood out; the reflective piece was still silver/chrome like ours is currently, and the reflective piece was still glued on to the glass as well. Did I provide them the wrong number? Was your new reflective piece black? Thanks again

Old 08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Philhef thanks for your follow up but I'm confused. I took part #C2N2468 to my local dealership and the parts guys pulled the part and two things stood out; the reflective piece was still silver/chrome like ours is currently, and the reflective piece was still glued on to the glass as well. Did I provide them the wrong number? Was your new reflective piece black? Thanks again
Hi.
I suggest calling Mark at Gaudin jaguar parts, Internet sales. In AZ. Tell him you want the same lenses as Phillip in NC.
He has figured out the correct parts. It must be for a 2006 HID headlight assembly. WITH washers. The confusion may be that it's not just a lens. It's the front half of the whole assembly, the non electrical portion. And no, the clear lens itself can't be removed easily without possibly damaging the rest of that front housing. And most likely if you do separate them, they will never seal properly, allowing water to get in.
I've got mine right here and they are clear lenses with the low and high beam surrounds in black and the turn signal and parking light in chrome. They even came with the new rubber gaskets. Mine are shot!
I'll post a photo of the lens as soon as I get home.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I made my headlights center section black by easily removing the silver chrome "paint". Just remove the headlight assembly and use a rag with some wax or plastic polish and rub off the metallic chrome finish. Underneath is a nice gloss black plastic smooth finish. It takes some effort to reach all the way to the front where the glass is, but by using a screwdriver wrapped with a rag, it can be done in a short time. The look is very cool on my black 2001 coupe. no need to paint it black, since the black paint will probably not adhere to the chrome. Also, no need to remove the glass lens. This is an easy project!

The following 2 users liked this post by XKRCoupeMan:
dannyS (08-08-2013), Superchargedxkr (02-24-2023)
Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

XKRCoupeMan, what a remarkable post! Thank You for that! I was wondering myself why is my silver powder coming off so benevolently when I was working on my Xenon conversion! Any chance you can post a pic of your lens?
Best,
Danny.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts
Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRCoupeMan
I made my headlights center section black by easily removing the silver chrome "paint". Just remove the headlight assembly and use a rag with some wax or plastic polish and rub off the metallic chrome finish. Underneath is a nice gloss black plastic smooth finish. It takes some effort to reach all the way to the front where the glass is, but by using a screwdriver wrapped with a rag, it can be done in a short time. The look is very cool on my black 2001 coupe. no need to paint it black, since the black paint will probably not adhere to the chrome. Also, no need to remove the glass lens. This is an easy project!
I tried that when I first bought my 2002 XK8 because I read that on this forum but I could only get off part of the chrome. I used everything I could find but it came off only in big patches. I had to get a new lens on ebay.
I think it has something to do with moisture or heat or something building up over the years. THe chrome only came off on the bottom of the lens and where it did come of on the sides, it actually showed where water had dripped or something.
I had the same issue with my XJS headlights when I had it. It's like the chrome breaks down over the years.

Last edited by philhef; 08-08-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted a picture in my profile album.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRCoupeMan
I posted a picture in my profile album.
Ok now I see. I did get the middle basically similar to yours but there were some runs that the chrome wouldn't budge.
And the other issue was the textured area at the low beams. I really wanted fully black interiors. I even wanted the rest black too, aka Aston Martin look!!
Maybe if my high beams section had looked as good as yours, I'd have been happier.
I did try heating the trashed lens in the oven to separate but I couldn't get it to budge. It has worked on other cars. They must have used some uv glue or something.