Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Not your typical CD changer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not your typical CD changer question

I was told when i bought my car that it came with a 6 disc changer, in fact there was a cd changer installed but not working. ( I did not buy it from a Jaguar dealer)

I bought a new CD changer and a link lead cable (Fiber optic) but it still wouldn't work. I took it to the dealer with everything connected as it should to have it programmed but the tech got an error message saying it could not be programmed.

The odd part is the CD changer has power, will load and eject the cartridge, but will not be recognized by the radio. (Everything in my car is stock)

I believe it may be that the car never originally came with a cd changer and the wire harness from the stereo to the cd changer does not have the correct wiring to make this work.??? This is just a guess but Im hoping someone with a little more knowledge on the topic can shed some light.

Are all wire harnesses the same or should I invest in a new one?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Oh, one other thing.

I tried hooking up a stock single CD changer in replace of my tape deck. It came out of an Xtype, Im not sure what year, but that also didnt work. Could it be the CD button on my radio? Or would the single CD player have to be programmed by the dealer too?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a long shot, but is it possible that your car has the Audio Control Module (ACM) installed, and the switch is in the ACM-on/changer-off position?

The ACM switch is usually mounted in the center console, but could presumably be mounted in the glove box or elsewhere. See my ACM page for a picture of the switch assembly, as typically mounted in the center console. http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-bluetooth/acm.html

If it's not there or in the glove box, you might want to pull off the passenger's side floorpan-tunnel cover, and look for the ACM control module. It will be a 4x8x1 inch box with fiber optic cables and wiring running to it. There wouldn't be anything else like it in the tunnel.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 AM

Thats a good idea, Ill look for it. Two questions though, Is the ACM an aftermarket part or do all jags have them? and also What is the passenger side floor pan tunnel? Im not familiar with this but would love to give it a try.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by rhriczko
Thats a good idea, Ill look for it. Two questions though, Is the ACM an aftermarket part or do all jags have them?
Ummm... "yes and no" to your first question.

The ACM is built by an aftermarket company called Dension. They sell it through retail channels for other cars like Mercedes, among others.

Jaguar takes that same product and packages it as an option for some models. Some time late in the production run of these models, Jag started including it as standard equipment. I don't know the starting date for that change.

It wasn't standard equipment in 2002 on the X-Type. But that doesn't mean that a previous owner didn't have one installed.

and also What is the passenger side floor pan tunnel? Im not familiar with this but would love to give it a try.
The floor pan is the part of the car underneath the carpet in the passenger compartment. The tunnel is the hump that runs through the center of the car.

Seeing you ask this question, I'm going to suggest that you don't pull the tunnel apart to look for an ACM control module. Just stick with searching in the usual places for the switch assembly: the center console is the factory-recommended mounting place, and the glove box seems like a possible alternative. If you don't see the switch, you don't have an ACM.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Ok... It must not be a part of my car. Although, after looking in to it I think I may add this. I really like the idea of being able to connect my Ipod right into my console.

I still would love for the CD changer to work though. Especially since I invested money onto the darn thing.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 PM

On the one hand, having an iPod connection might suffice for you in lieu of a functional CD changer.

On the other hand, the ACM relies on the same connections and communications to the head unit that the CD-changer relies on. In other words, the ACM might not work until you get this other issue resolved.

I suppose you could try it, and if it doesn't work, you're back to square one trying to get your CD-changer to work. That might be an expensive experiment.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 PM

I agree, It's definitely going to cost $$$. lol. Thats what happens when you love a Jag. haha.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found a 'better than expected' solution to my woes. I didn't really listen to CD's so I've kept the broken dash mounted CD unit in place , and added a 'Jaguar AUX input via Wired FM Modulator Veba FAKRA iPod iPhone MP3 car adapter' from ebay user 'Incarconnections'. The whole thing came as a kit with adapters for the aerial input. You can switch the whole thing on and off - and other than the 3.5mm jack, there are no wires on show anywhere.
A little bit of farting around fiddling and I've now got my iphone connected to the car. The signal is wired, so crystal clear like a CD, and all for less than £50 !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/incarconnections?_bkw=jaguar