Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Headlightlens corrected and UV coating reapplied

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Headlightlens corrected and UV coating reapplied

Here is a set of headlight lenses that I recently restored in which I have reapplied a coating which is very similar to the OEM sacrificial coating that comes from the factory. It is applied after the lens is prepped, no need to polish the lens out. After the UV clear aerosol coating is applied you must then cure each lens using a UV curing lamp.....Here are some before and afters...

Before restoral shots...

Name:  DSC_0979-1.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0976-1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0975-1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  42.7 KB

After restoral shots...

Name:  DSC_1061-1.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  DSC_1064-1.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  DSC_1063-1.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  83.6 KB

What a dramatic difference........

Here is a flip video I made showing the process on my Youtube channel....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-p3HNmHxE

Off to work........cars to detail, and an 05 Porsche 996 that needs headlights done this afternoon......

Have a great day!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Great job Dave, my question is, how did the lights become opaque as in your before pictures.

The paintwork doesn't look too bad (lol), so how'd the lights get like that?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Or I can just take my newly coated headlamps into the tanning bed with me, right?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  19.3 KB

Great work as always Dave
I have to say I don't really see any cars with that problem over here, other than maybe my sons Clio with the plastic lights which I did a number on.
They certainly didn't come up anywhere near as good as yours but an improvement for sure

Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's a great work ,it's hard to believe they are same headlamps , namely after seeing those dull headlamps before detailing

Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

whats the UV coating product you use? I know two cars in my family that suffer from the persistent clouding. It would be nice to get them polished up and sealed for good.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Translator
Great job Dave, my question is, how did the lights become opaque as in your before pictures.

The paintwork doesn't look too bad (lol), so how'd the lights get like that?
Thank you Translator, lack of care, oxidation and sunlight can dull the surface, turn it yellow or leave it cloudy and scratched. The vehicle looks good from far, but far from good....Its bright red so it hides a lot because of its shine.

Originally Posted by h20boy
Or I can just take my newly coated headlamps into the tanning bed with me, right?
Sure, maybe a large industrial size drive-thru tanning bed.

Originally Posted by JimC64

Great work as always Dave
I have to say I don't really see any cars with that problem over here, other than maybe my sons Clio with the plastic lights which I did a number on.
They certainly didn't come up anywhere near as good as yours but an improvement for sure
Thank you Jim, out here I can count the vehicles all day long.....everywhere lenses that are failed. Thinking of starting some kind of express lens restoral station....could be a great idea!!

Originally Posted by cadillac
That's a great work ,it's hard to believe they are same headlamps , namely after seeing those dull headlamps before detailing
Thanks Cadillac, definitely a tremendous before and after.......

Originally Posted by h20boy
whats the UV coating product you use? I know two cars in my family that suffer from the persistent clouding. It would be nice to get them polished up and sealed for good.
The coating I use is a professional product available to the body shop industry. It generally runs about $40.00 per can and you must have a UV curing lamp for proper result which runs about $225.00.

Here is a slide show I made of a 05 Porsche I restored lenses on yesterday.

Thanks again..

Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

^ now that is pretty cool! When I need a UV lamp, I'll let you know j.k

Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 PM

Most definitely an interesting process, the Porsche was the first set that used this lamp on....Customer was very pleased.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing difference. I was in my local Target store the other day and noticed that Meguiar's has a headlamp-restoration product. Do you have an opinion on that?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Aerosol UV Protection for Headlamps

An alternative areosol application-

Ultra Violet Protection

In order to restore the lens back to its OEM standards a new UV coating must be re-applied. Once both lenses were finished sanded to 1500 grit, this ensures the clear coat has a ‘key’ to enable adhesion. When you spray clear coat on the sanded lenses it fills in those light scratches and makes them clear and glossy making them look brand new. SprayMax® (aerosol spray) is a 2K clear urethane that contains UV-B protection.

Application:
Shake aerosol can vigorously for two minutes before activating. To activate, take the red button from the cap and attach it to the pin on the bottom of the can. Put the top of the aerosol can on stable on a stable surface and push the red button firmly and press the pin into the can. Shake again for two minutes to ensure activator is thoroughly mixed with clear coat.

Apply 2-3 light coats and allow 5-10 minutes between each coat. After the application of the final coat allow approximately 24 hours dry time

Note:
1. Hardener contains isocyanates take necessary precautions eye and breathing protection.
2. Empty aerosol can before disposal
3. Recommended Dried Film Thickness: 51 µ (2.0 Mil )
4. Higher humidity levels will increase the dry speed of this product.
5. Do not spray in temperatures less than 60.°F
6. Also available in one gallon plus five quart hardener kit

Last edited by Togwt; 04-12-2011 at 07:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jag79 (04-21-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by treetopdaddy
Amazing difference. I was in my local Target store the other day and noticed that Meguiar's has a headlamp-restoration product. Do you have an opinion on that?
Treetopdaddy,

Absolutely, and you can definitely see the difference either day or night!

The Meguiar's products are available in either a standard or heavy duty kit, depnding on the amount of failure your lenses may have. For DIY these can work well, but frequent polishing to keep up the clarity will be required. For this reason I recommend recoating your lenses for the long term advantage.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
An alternative areosol application-

Ultra Violet Protection

In order to restore the lens back to its OEM standards a new UV coating must be re-applied. Once both lenses were finished sanded to 1500 grit, this ensures the clear coat has a ‘key’ to enable adhesion. When you spray clear coat on the sanded lenses it fills in those light scratches and makes them clear and glossy making them look brand new. SprayMax® (aerosol spray) is a 2K clear urethane that contains UV-B protection.

Application:
Shake aerosol can vigorously for two minutes before activating. To activate, take the red button from the cap and attach it to the pin on the bottom of the can. Put the top of the aerosol can on stable on a stable surface and push the red button firmly and press the pin into the can. Shake again for two minutes to ensure activator is thoroughly mixed with clear coat.

Apply 2-3 light coats and allow 5-10 minutes between each coat. After the application of the final coat allow approximately 24 hours dry time

Note:
1. Hardener contains isocyanates take necessary precautions eye and breathing protection.
2. Empty aerosol can before disposal
3. Recommended Dried Film Thickness: 51 µ (2.0 Mil )
4. Higher humidity levels will increase the dry speed of this product.
5. Do not spray in temperatures less than 60.°F
6. Also available in one gallon plus five quart hardener kit
..If I use the 3M kit, after which process shall I start using the clear coat MaxSpray? Will it be still good to use after doing the final step of using the 3M rubbing compound or just not use the rubbing compound step and just clear coat instead after sanding?
http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
Thanks.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by jag79
..If I use the 3M kit, after which process shall I start using the clear coat MaxSpray? Will it be still good to use after doing the final step of using the 3M rubbing compound or just not use the rubbing compound step and just clear coat instead after sanding?
SprayMax 2K Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat
Thanks.
If you are using the 3M or Meguiar's kit, no compunding or polishing is required when recoating. You want the polycarbonate lens to have a little bite, therefore resurface with the highest disc (3000 grit) clean with IPA then recoat.

IMO this MaxSpray is not the product I would suggest for this type of restoration. It is not a replacement sacrificial coating for headlight lenses, it is more for spot paint repair product. First of all it is a product to be applied over base coats, not polycarbonate lenses. It takes at least 24 hours to completely dry, therefore be prepared to have some tweezers handy to pick out the contaminants from the tacky coating.

I would much rather choose a product that is specifically designed as a UV Headlight Coating and not some clear coat that is for base coat coverage.

You could invest upward of over $400-$600 for a system like this, or pay a professional between $75-$85 per lens for this type of pro restoral.

YouTube - SEM Products, Inc. - 21013 Solaray UV Headlight Repair

This is one of the systems that I use.......now you tell me doesnt this product deliver professional results?....Questions or Comments?

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (04-30-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by treetopdaddy
Complete waste of money if used as directed. I tried it and was very disappointed.

The only way to achieve the clear lense result is to sand the lenses and buff back to clear. The Meguires product will not do that by itself.

The missing step seems to be the UV protectant when you get through. If someone can find an affordable product or a small quantity bottle I would buy it. I don't need to do 60 headlights.............

"EZ"

Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing
If you are using the 3M or Meguiar's kit, no compunding or polishing is required when recoating. You want the polycarbonate lens to have a little bite, therefore resurface with the highest disc (3000 grit) clean with IPA then recoat.

IMO this MaxSpray is not the product I would suggest for this type of restoration. It is not a replacement sacrificial coating for headlight lenses, it is more for spot paint repair product. First of all it is a product to be applied over base coats, not polycarbonate lenses. It takes at least 24 hours to completely dry, therefore be prepared to have some tweezers handy to pick out the contaminants from the tacky coating.

I would much rather choose a product that is specifically designed as a UV Headlight Coating and not some clear coat that is for base coat coverage.

You could invest upward of over $400-$600 for a system like this, or pay a professional between $75-$85 per lens for this type of pro restoral.

YouTube - SEM Products, Inc. - 21013 Solaray UV Headlight Repair

This is one of the systems that I use.......now you tell me doesnt this product deliver professional results?....Questions or Comments?
Thanks, I guess I'll stay away from it now,lolz...Any chance you coming down to Orlando, Florida for the summer