E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

E-Type Outside Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Type Outside Mirrors

My name is Craig S. Nelson, US Navy (ret). I am currently a 5th year senior at McPherson College in Kansas and will graduate in May 2016 with a B.S. in Automotive Restoration Management and a B.S. in Automotive Restoration Technology.

I am currently interning at a shop for the summer, started last month, and must depart in early August. The goal is to finish the electrical and final assembly before I leave on a '67 E-Type Series 1.5 OTS with the 4.2L engine.

In the attached picture, it shows an E-Type with the bullet style outer mirrors mounted on the body panel between the door and bonnet. Our customer is inquiring into also using this mirror setup versus mounting in the doors or the bonnet.

My question is what is considered correct? It is my understanding that E-Types never came with outside mirrors and were a dealer installed option.

My other question is how the hell do you mount the mirrors in that location? The other pics show that access to mount it is almost non-existent. We would need the arm and hand size of a small child to reach into that cavity all the way to tighten any hardware.

I can always be reached at (619) 944-8971 or nelscra@bulldog.mcpherson.edu.

Attached Thumbnails E-Type Outside Mirrors-xke-mirrors-05.jpg   E-Type Outside Mirrors-img_5859.jpg   E-Type Outside Mirrors-img_5860.jpg  
Old 07-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Mirrors

Wing mirror part number C19909 was available as an option for front fender mounting from 1961 on.

With the introduction of the S1.5, the US specification cars came fitted with a driver's side side view mirror, and I believe to be an item specified by the US safety regulations. Many S2, RHD cars are seen without any exterior mirrors, so it was not supplied for all markets.

If you want to fit the incorrect mirrors shown in your attached pictures to the cowl, you should be able to gain access to that area through where the door hinge attaches (with the hinge removed of course).

Did the answers supplied by the various Forum members help with your wiring and dash panel issue? Its helpful to others following the Threads to know if the advice is rubbish or not.

Regards,

Brent

Old 07-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigNelson
My other question is how the hell do you mount the mirrors in that location? The other pics show that access to mount it is almost non-existent. We would need the arm and hand size of a small child to reach into that cavity all the way to tighten any hardware.
As I remember from back in the day (when the dealer would install just about any style of mirror since there was no standard US mirror), the mirror mounts were such that at that location no access to the innards was required. Just drill the appropriate sized holes at the appropriate locations from the top-side and use the appropriate sized sheet metal screws to attach the mirror base. Then the mirror proper just snaps onto the base. The mirror mounting hardware is thus hidden at the bottom. I don't know if such mirror configurations are still available. Perhaps these bullet mirrors are of such a design - the mounting base was usually quite well hidden.

For my car, it was even simpler. The dealer in 1966 seems to have just grabbed a J.C. Whitney (or was it a 1958 GM product) mirror off the shelf that had exposed mounting screws and attached it, exposed screws and all. It is a really funky, original, 50 year old mirror that still looks great, and I am too fond of it to ever replace it (plus it has an excellent field of view).
Here's what mine looks like:

E-Type Outside Mirrors-img_1156-1024x768-.jpg

Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkeats
Wing mirror part number C19909 was available as an option for front fender mounting from 1961 on.

With the introduction of the S1.5, the US specification cars came fitted with a driver's side side view mirror, and I believe to be an item specified by the US safety regulations. Many S2, RHD cars are seen without any exterior mirrors, so it was not supplied for all markets.

If you want to fit the incorrect mirrors shown in your attached pictures to the cowl, you should be able to gain access to that area through where the door hinge attaches (with the hinge removed of course).

Brent
Great info Brent. You mention the incorrect mirrors in the pic and that part number showed this:

Martin Robey

Is the mirror in Craig's pic a bullet mirror or no? Honestly, just seeking clarification.

You also mention 'fender mounting', so I presume that means mounted to the bonnet. Just trying to be as correct as I can be before the drill comes out!

Is door mounting acceptable in concours judging? Bullet or flat? I have read the judging guide and remain unclear on the topic.

Thanks so much in advance.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:42 PM

Just a thought. Since the E-Type's outside mirror opens up a can of worms, why not be just like the factory for every S1 E-Type sent to the US: just have no outside mirror - that is truly original. With the evident quality of this restoration, the car will probably not be driven in commuter traffic, so perhaps an outside mirror is not needed? On the street, on a fine day, an outside mirror is not required with the top dropped - just look over each shoulder before making a lane change.

Last edited by SCMike; 08-05-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SCMike
Just a thought. Since the E-Type's outside mirror opens up a can of worms, why not be just like the factory for every E-Type sent to the US: just have no outside mirror - that is truly original. With the evident quality of this restoration, the car will probably not be driven in commuter traffic, so perhaps an outside mirror is not needed? On the street, on a fine day, an outside mirror is not required with the top dropped - just look over each shoulder before making a lane change.
I hear you loud and clear! But I'm about safety, and a car like an E type needs all the help it can get. I actually do plan to drive this car, though not in commuter traffic, but more than a garage queen.

Thumbs up or down on 'acceptable correctness' on this ->

Attached Thumbnails E-Type Outside Mirrors-jaguar-mirror-location.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want pure originality and safety there are mirrors that clip on to the chrome window track. The ones from Tex Automotive are popular in the e-type world. The MQO4 and MQR4 are very period. I understand they need a bit of trimming so the mount doesnt interfere with the window in the track.

Good luck,

Jim

Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by vrracing
If you want pure originality and safety there are mirrors that clip on to the chrome window track. The ones from Tex Automotive are popular in the e-type world. The MQO4 and MQR4 are very period. I understand they need a bit of trimming so the mount doesnt interfere with the window in the track.

Good luck,

Jim
Thanks so much Jim. Just sent them an 'enquiry which they endeavor to respond'. Gotta love the English.

Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In my experience when working on the Jag there is little love directed towards the English!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Not that this helps much, but, I'll offer ....I'm the second owner of my '67 2+2. It came with Talbot bullet mirrors mounted on the front fenders.
Adjusting is a pain, visibility not too bad. I've learned over the past 43 years, or so to be vigilant.

Attached Thumbnails E-Type Outside Mirrors-img_1211.jpg   E-Type Outside Mirrors-jag-mirror.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by vrracing
In my experience when working on the Jag there is little love directed towards the English!
Ha! Agreed. I've also learned a couple of Italian curse words working on other cars.

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Not that this helps much, but, I'll offer ....I'm the second owner of my '67 2+2. It came with Talbot bullet mirrors mounted on the front fenders.
Adjusting is a pain, visibility not too bad. I've learned over the past 43 years, or so to be vigilant.
That's how my car initially came - and you're right - the adjusting part would drive me semi nuts. Seems vibration, closing the bonnet, etc would do some unintended adjusting for you. I do greatly prefer the Talbot look however.

I think I'm either going with door mount or the clip on version, which has obvious appeal also.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Note that these pictured mirrors are top-mounted (sheet-metal screw clearly visible in photo) and could be as easily installed on the outside cowl nearer to the windscreen as on the wings (fenders). Same way my original 50 year old cowl mirror is installed, shown at post #3 earlier.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Note that these pictured mirrors are top-mounted (sheet-metal screw clearly visible in photo) and could be as easily installed on the outside cowl nearer to the windscreen as on the wings (fenders). Same way my original 50 year old cowl mirror is installed, shown at post #3 earlier.
Yeah, probably function better. Perhaps, the antenna was a reason for mounting on the fender? Those fender holes could easily be closed.
BTW, I never liked the location of that antenna too.
Happy Motoring.....

Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Yeah, probably function better. Perhaps, the antenna was a reason for mounting on the fender? Those fender holes could easily be closed.
BTW, I never liked the location of that antenna too.
Happy Motoring.....
Yup - my original antenna is at the same spot. It makes for an easy run for the antenna cable from the base of the antenna to the radio box. Plus, I only have the one exterior mirror on the opposite side of the cowl. I guess that it was the best option for the dealer 50 years ago.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Yup - my original antenna is at the same spot. It makes for an easy run for the antenna cable from the base of the antenna to the radio box. Plus, I only have the one exterior mirror on the opposite side of the cowl. I guess that it was the best option for the dealer 50 years ago.
Well, if and when I get the energy, I'll remove that antenna and plug that hole. It's gets in the way of the cover anyway. I'll try one of those windshield types to replace it.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:28 AM

Sadly, Tex Automotive responded to neither the inquiry form off their site or a direct email. Oh well. There are other vendors I guess.

If any of you have an alternate lead on an A post-mounted round mirror, I'd be very appreciative.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AHudson
Sadly, Tex Automotive responded to neither the inquiry form off their site or a direct email. Oh well. There are other vendors I guess.

If any of you have an alternate lead on an A post-mounted round mirror, I'd be very appreciative.
I'm sure one of our "lurking" supporting vendors will chime in......
Good Luck...

Old 08-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Correct or not, your customer will hate the mirrors on the cowl, or fenders, as opposed to on the door.
They are almost worthless in that location...The door is far more practical...
If he has to have them on the cowl, or the fender, see if he would accept convex mirrors, as at least they will then be somewhat useful.....Just my 2 cents.
Edward

The following users liked this post:
JagGuardian (09-15-2020)
Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

...sorry to be so late chiming in on the placement of Talbot mirrors.
I have a 67 coupe with the Talbots mounted on the bulkhead just behind the bonnet.
The style I used have an extended base with screws that are accessible from the outside. At the time I bought them (1970) there were the two styles, short and long base, but I couldn't see how to mount the short-base type where I wanted them. Once they were adjusted and tightened, they stayed put until some jerk would purposely mess with them!
The point of mounting the mirrors far forward on the fenders was to be able to spot other (race) cars with just a movement of the eyes before you made your move. The closer to the driver, the more head movement is required to check out the mirrors.
How well have they worked? I've never had a sideswipe in the 45 years they have been on the Jag!