E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Series 3 bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series 3 bumper conversion

I own a 1974 series 3 roadster. I want to convert the front and rear bumpers to euro style (I have the new bumpers).
I’m looking for a step by step guide or video that will help complete this conversion.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 PM

I am in the process of doing the same thing. Where did you get the bumpers?
David
Lexington, Ky

Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

I found a kit for this that might come with instructions (you could also contact them and ask for instructions): https://mrfiat.com/jaguar-e-type-xke...rsion-kit.html

Here is a video on fitting Series 1 bumpers:
It may help.

Sorry I wasn't able to find anything better...

Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the reply! I am also getting ready to install the bumpers on a 64 coupe as well.

David

Old 02-23-2020, 06:28 PM

Has anyone used the stainless steel conversion kit on a 1973 US version XKE?
If so, how did it work?
Was any drilling and filling required?

Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

I believe that MrFiat gets the bumpers from the Harrington Group.
https://groupharrington.com

You may be able to save a few buck buying them direct.

The following users liked this post:
nora (07-20-2022)
Old 03-04-2021, 07:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Harrington Group bumpers for '74 E-Type

Originally Posted by Jon Gardner
Has anyone used the stainless steel conversion kit on a 1973 US version XKE?
If so, how did it work?
Was any drilling and filling required?
Several years ago I purchased the Harrington Group's bumper kit off Ebay to convert my US-spec '74 E-Type that was being refurbished. Their kit for converting a US-spec '73 E-Type is the front bumpers (only) from their '74 kit. The front fit well except the overriders are very awkward to tighten in place. The rear bumpers were another story, but this won't come into play on a '73. The initial fit was done before the repaint but after the body work, although there was very minimal bodywork since it's an unwrecked, rust free car. We found that the curvature of the rear side blades was exaggerated compared to the body line, so we had to grind the forward-end tips down so that the middle portion of the blade would fit closer to the body line. The result, after grinding, was satisfactory so we took the bumpers off and put them in storage. Not surprisingly, it took longer than expected to have the car painted and just a few months ago it was ready to attach the bumpers permanently. The fit is still good but we found the stainless steel finish had degraded and we could polish it back to what we'd remembered it being, or at least to the show quality of the rest of the car. So I bit the bullet and had them stripped and chromed. They look fantastic now, but I am, of course, into them for about twice what I'd originally expected, although still less than if I'd splurged on all new chrome pieces from one of the well-known classic-Jag suppliers. There is a 3rd alternative, a metal fabricator in Chula Vista, Ca, who I had considered, although I've never seen or heard anyone mention his work. He advertises new chromed bumper sets on Ebay for about 50% (starting bid) more than Harrington, but this guy's stuff is chromed. I spoke with him on the phone, and he offers a 15-day return policy if your dissatisfied with the quality. My reservation was that his "kit" isn't made to fit with the US-spec front energy absorbers but is actually just the original style pieces for a '71/72 E-Type. This means removing the energy absorbers and welding up and painting over the holes for them in the bonnet. A large proportion of '73 and '74 E-Types I've seen for sale, recently, have had this conversion done. What surprises me, though, is there's so little discussion in the ads, or here, about the alternative suppliers.

Last edited by JagJonz; 03-04-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an older thread, adding to it as a new member. I converted to euro style bumpers for my 74. front was pretty well bolt on. rear did require minor fabrication at license plate area, which was completed at same time during tub restoration.

The following users liked this post:
nora (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 01:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vintisingh
an older thread, adding to it as a new member. I converted to euro style bumpers for my 74. front was pretty well bolt on. rear did require minor fabrication at license plate area, which was completed at same time during tub restoration.
That looks beautiful! Where did you source the replacement parts from? I want to do this on my '74 Roadster as well.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:25 PM

When you say bolted on to the front with little trouble, did you have to remove the impact bumper?

On another note, does anyone know where to source the rubber on the '73 (different design than the '74) over riders? Tried all of the mainstream suppliers without any luck.

thanks

Old 07-21-2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by nora
That looks beautiful! Where did you source the replacement parts from? I want to do this on my '74 Roadster as well.
Group Harrington sells a stainless conversion kit for a '74 or '73 that bolts onto the exterior mounting brackets of the front impact bumper. They also sell a replacement for the rear '74 bumper that matches the '71-'73 rear bumper, but I've noticed some "conversions" of '74s are just removing the black rubber rear over riders by removing the steel box section they mount to. .This leaves the rear chrome bumper blades but no over rider, and doesn't look as good as a full conversion, IMO. Group Harrington operates out of the UK but the bumpers are made in Vietnam. See my post from a couple years ago, above, about my experience with their stainless. As an alternative, some are buying and installing the original style '71/'72 front bumpers in chrome by removing the impact absorbers and wielding up the bonnet holes. This might be the better way to go if you're repainting the bonnet anyway.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:49 AM

What fabrication did the rear require? On my '74, I only had to unbolt and remove the steel box section used to mount the black rubber rear over riders.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, JagJonz! I appreciate the advice