Exterior Talk about your rims, bodykits, and other exterior mods here.

What do you use to clean your exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Question What do you use to clean your exhaust?

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to tackle the exhaust tips on my S-type but I just can't seem to get them cleaned and polished as best as I know they can be.

When I bought the Jag in January, the exhaust tips were about the only thing on her that wasn't well looked after. There's a fair bit of build-up on the bottom lip of the tip - kind of like a creosote of sorts. I just can't seem to cut through it with any product I've tried.

So my question to everyone is - how do you clean and polish your exhaust tips?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! It's driving me batty looking at the *** end of my car and seeing that all the time.

Cheers!
Rob

Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Wire wool, those pads with detergent built in are very effective, after that some good old metal polish.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  19.3 KB

Good tip dj
Have to say Spitfire that I thought the problem must have been inherited....your Jag always looks spotless.
I was going to say that I wash mine every time I wash the car so don't have that problem, but, obviously not very helpful here, in your case......

It sounds like a really bad build up. You could try a wire brush attachment on a drill to remove the worst, followed by wet n dry grit 800 or so moving up to 1500 and then followed by some Autosol metal polish or similar. I'm sure that'd do the trick for you buddy

If you have any doubts, please either ask the question in the detailing section so Dave can answer or pm him personally for his recommendations.
I'm sure you'll get it sorted soon, no doubt.

How about some before pics, the methods products used, time taken and some afters to show the end result? Its a question thats always asked regularly

Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Rob, I am sure that you are aware that the tips are anodized (clear). You can remove the anodizing by purchasing the YELLOW can of Easy Bake oven cleaner. Warm the tips up, spray on use a scotch brite or mild cut steel wool, CAUTION WEAR PROTECTIVE GLOVES!!!! Then use SS Polish such as Mothers to shine up nice and bright. I'll be watching for the after pics, beware the DustBunny Police are lurking on this thread!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Yup, periodic fine steel wool followed by stainless polish. Lasts for a while and then next time you do it takes very little effort.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the tips on cleaning my tips guys! I've cleaned them up a bit already, but haven't used the steel wool on them yet. There was quite a bit of build up on them when I purchased her.

And of course I'll post some pics for you guys too!

I bought some red caliper paint today. I was going to go with silver, but decided to break out of my conservative box and go with something a little flashy. I figure if I don't like the red, I'll just repaint them silver Pics of course are forthcoming on that project!

beware the DustBunny Police are lurking on this thread!
I bought me a mitt-full of microfibre cloths! You'll have to look harder Rick!

your Jag always looks spotless.
You bet she's always spotless! I'm driving my wife nuts how often I'm cleaning and detailing her! Hmmmm, maybe she's a bit jealous. Will have to offer my wife a full detailing......

Cheers!
Rob

Last edited by Spitfire; 05-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Rob stick with the silver

BTW, I always like to give the wifey a buff and shine every now and then too!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just a cotton cloth and traditional car wash liquid [Meguiar's Gold Class] to clean all the crud off the tips. During the Texas summer, I'll often get melted blacktop goop stuck to the inner fender liners and tips. If I can't remove it with traditional soap/water, I'll just a cotton cloth and brake cleaner [very sparingly]. If you go the brake cleaner route, make sure you clean it all off and you DO NOT get it on your paint. It was erode the clear and first color coat off.

Once I get it clean, I use Eagle One Never Dull metal paste/polish. This is the clothing "wadding" with the polishing oil embedded in it. Use a small piece to rub it into the tips, then buff it out with a cotton cloth. Repeat it once or twice until the tips are perfectly reflective.

For those in the US, you can Never Dull at your local auto parts store...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=556779_0_0_