F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Jaguar F-Type Trade in Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Jaguar F-Type Trade in Value

Does any one know the trade in range of a fully equipped low mileage V8S?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Before you get fourteen replies telling you to check KBB and NADA... car dealers NEVER use those amounts. They go by a handful of other indicators, primarily the current going rate for the vehicle at auction assuming it's not a car that's going to take a lot of interest on their late. Think worst case scenario. Some dealers might give you a good deal if they know someone already interested in purchasing your car... assuming you are taking it somewhere besides a Jaguar dealership, the lot you're on will call the closest few Jag dealers and ask what they'd wholesale the car from them for. Being that I doubt any F-types have gone to auction yet, your best bet is calling a dealer (Jag) yourself and seeing if they'd be interested in purchasing your car outright. Even if you want a car at another dealership, the Jag dealer can always purchase the car you want for you (dealer to dealer) and then apply the trade amount (what you're selling your car for), to the invoice and offset the taxes owed saving you from having to pay taxes on the car youre purchasing.

That, or put it on eBay and see if you get any bites, as that's a secondary source of info for a dealer on what a car is worth.

And don't forget, regions vary, options vary, color combo varies... if you have a green/tan car with no options, you'll obviously get less than a black/black fully loaded with rims.

Your question can have such broad answers, it's impossible to give you a straight guess.

Hope that makes sense. LOL

Old 03-28-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Before you get fourteen replies telling you to check KBB and NADA... car dealers NEVER use those amounts. They go by a handful of other indicators, primarily the current going rate for the vehicle at auction assuming it's not a car that's going to take a lot of interest on their late. Think worst case scenario. Some dealers might give you a good deal if they know someone already interested in purchasing your car... assuming you are taking it somewhere besides a Jaguar dealership, the lot you're on will call the closest few Jag dealers and ask what they'd wholesale the car from them for. Being that I doubt any F-types have gone to auction yet, your best bet is calling a dealer (Jag) yourself and seeing if they'd be interested in purchasing your car outright. Even if you want a car at another dealership, the Jag dealer can always purchase the car you want for you (dealer to dealer) and then apply the trade amount (what you're selling your car for), to the invoice and offset the taxes owed saving you from having to pay taxes on the car youre purchasing.

That, or put it on eBay and see if you get any bites, as that's a secondary source of info for a dealer on what a car is worth.

And don't forget, regions vary, options vary, color combo varies... if you have a green/tan car with no options, you'll obviously get less than a black/black fully loaded with rims.

Your question can have such broad answers, it's impossible to give you a straight guess.

Hope that makes sense. LOL
Thanks for you excellent info. I have looked at Edmunds, KBB and NADA and they do not list the 2014 Jaguar F-Type yet because I presume that there have not been enough used cars sold as of yet.

I did get a trade in price from a Jaguar dealer yesterday for "$85K ish" in which he indicated he could retail the car for $87K to $92K so I would think that "$85K ish" trade is in the ball park at this time.

I have in my past got very close to the three sites that I listed above for trade in. In fact I got more when I recently purchased a 2014 Acura RLX Advanced for my wife with $10,700 off MSRP and more than $800 higher than KBB trade in for her 2013 Lexus ES350.

I have found that selling cars to the dealer and places like Carmax give you more of a wholesale price and not a trade in and then of course you lose your trade in value for tax purposes with another car purchase on the most part.

I have thought of trying to sell cars through an overseas seller because the car prices are much higher in Europe then in the US so I will probably took into this today.

Thanks again for your post.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by cas534
I have found that selling cars to the dealer and places like Carmax give you more of a wholesale price and not a trade in

Right. Selling a car to a dealer and using the car as a trade-in at a dealer are not quite the same thing.

I have thought of trying to sell cars through an overseas seller

Are you a dealer or broker, or are you just looking for an alternative to trading the car in? Just wondering.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-28-2014, 09:56 AM

The biggest and in my eyes, only real benefit of trading a car, is offsetting the taxes you owe on the 'new money'. Meaning, if you get $80k for a trade and buy a $90k car, you only owe tax on the $10k difference... sometimes it makes up for what you lost by not selling it.

I stand by what I said. Find a buyer, then trade the car to your dealer, then let the new buyer purchase from dealer... you still maximize what you get and you still get the trade (tax) credit.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

The biggest and in my eyes, only real benefit of trading a car, is offsetting the taxes you owe on the 'new money'. Meaning, if you get $80k for a trade and buy a $90k car, you only owe tax on the $10k difference... sometimes it makes up for what you lost by not selling it.
Depends on the State. A few don't allow tax offsets. California, the DC, Hawaii, Maryland and Michigan.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Seriously? So when you go to trade in the car you pay the full sales tax amount on the final sales price of a new car regardless of how much you get for your old vehicle?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Seriously? So when you go to trade in the car you pay the full sales tax amount on the final sales price of a new car regardless of how much you get for your old vehicle?
Yup, sucks too. Then the next person that buys that vehicle pays sales tax as well. Double, triple dipping. At least you can deduct all of that tax payed on both vehicles from your federal taxes.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Right. Selling a car to a dealer and using the car as a trade-in at a dealer are not quite the same thing.

Are you a dealer or broker, or are you just looking for an alternative to trading the car in? Just wondering.

Cheers
DD
Neither, yes, just looking for another alternative.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Yup, sucks too. Then the next person that buys that vehicle pays sales tax as well. Double, triple dipping. At least you can deduct all of that tax payed on both vehicles from your federal taxes.

The state with arguably the highest taxes and cost of living--but look at all the great government services we get---NOT!!

Doug

Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Ebay has several used F-Types one at $93,920 and another at $89,979 that are similar.