F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearly marked jumping points under the bonnet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearly marked jumping points under the bonnet?

2016 Jaguar F type R is dead. I found the positive jump point. Are you just connecting the negative to the frame?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

You connect the negative lead to the earthing point shown in this pic:

The "bolt" in the lower centre of the pic with the "spiral" bit on top.

The following users liked this post:
Desert Dawg (05-02-2017)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You connect the negative lead to the earthing point shown in this pic:

The "bolt" in the lower centre of the pic with the "spiral" bit on top.

Can I connect my smart charger this way, positive to the positive jump point and negative alligator clip to that bolt?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
Can I connect my smart charger this way, positive to the positive jump point and negative alligator clip to that bolt?

that's how I connect mine ......

Old 05-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mja xkr
that's how I connect mine ......
Thanks, it seems easier than taking the whole back of the car apart.

I pulled everything apart in the back today and it just seems much easier to alligator clip it under the hood.

Do you store that car for over a week this way and it starts right up?

I want to leave my car at our shore home and there might be two week periods of time when we are not there.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

See posts 48 to 56 in this thread for an easier way to connect a battery charger to the under-hood charging points (well I reckon it is!): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...stions-153350/

Old 05-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
Do you store that car for over a week this way and it starts right up? I want to leave my car at our shore home and there might be two week periods of time when we are not there.
Thanks for the good chuckle. 2 weeks left un-attended is more like simply "parking" it. No need what-so-ever for a battery tender on it for such a brief duration. I have a couple of cars & have left my R in the garage for a month in the winter without any concern about trickle charging it so you don't really "need" to put it on a charge but on the other hand, it also won't hurt it to do so either so go for it if you like but you also needn't bother if your just planning on leaving it for a few brief weeks at a time.

RickyJay52 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
No need what-so-ever for a battery tender on it for such a brief duration. I have a couple of cars & have left my R in the garage for a month ... without any concern about trickle charging it so you don't really "need" to put it on a charge ....
+1.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

For "might be two weeks" I would do nothing. If you were talking about six months in storage I would do the drill. MAYBE a battery manager, if it would help you sleep.

ndabunka (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
See posts 48 to 56 in this thread for an easier way to connect a battery charger to the under-hood charging points (well I reckon it is!): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...stions-153350/
Thanks, looks clean and functional

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Thanks for the good chuckle. 2 weeks left un-attended is more like simply "parking" it. No need what-so-ever for a battery tender on it for such a brief duration. I have a couple of cars & have left my R in the garage for a month in the winter without any concern about trickle charging it so you don't really "need" to put it on a charge but on the other hand, it also won't hurt it to do so either so go for it if you like but you also needn't bother if your just planning on leaving it for a few brief weeks at a time.
I figured Better safe than sorry,
I never know if it will be a longer time and it is over 100 miles away

Originally Posted by Suaro
For "might be two weeks" I would do nothing. If you were talking about six months in storage I would do the drill. MAYBE a battery manager, if it would help you sleep.
Maybe I will try not using the smart charger, I also have a jump starter if it won't start.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

In the beginning - over 3 1/2 years ago - I bought a battery tender plus with the intention of using it over the winter. Not only did I not use it but I drove the car throughout the entire winter (enjoyably). Not only that, there were periods where I didn’t drive the car for a solid 30 days - until recently I had 3 other cars - without attaching the battery tender plus, and it never ever failed to start up immediately. In...the dead of winter. YMMV.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

It's unfortunate that the F-Type still suffers from the stigma of the early days when the OBD issue was not widely understood and people lost confidence in the ability of the car to hold a charge. It is interesting to see that the Jag techs are still not generally aware of this issue. It would be simple for them to ensure that a car never leaves the shop without being "rebooted".

Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
In the beginning - over 3 1/2 years ago - I bought a battery tender plus with the intention of using it over the winter. Not only did I not use it but I drove the car throughout the entire winter (enjoyably). Not only that, there were periods where I didn’t drive the car for a solid 30 days - until recently I had 3 other cars - without attaching the battery tender plus, and it never ever failed to start up immediately. In...the dead of winter. YMMV.
That makes me feel better

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's unfortunate that the F-Type still suffers from the stigma of the early days when the OBD issue was not widely understood and people lost confidence in the ability of the car to hold a charge. It is interesting to see that the Jag techs are still not generally aware of this issue. It would be simple for them to ensure that a car never leaves the shop without being "rebooted".
Actually, this comes from my days of owning Vettes and other newer cars with all the modern electronics, all the little things draining the battery, just a precaution.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

....and on the flip side; I installed a pigtail in the trunk making it super easy to plug in the maintenance charger (I think Lance posted the details originally - thanks again!)

These cars are hard on batteries; they have a ton of powered components that don't go "to sleep" immediately when the engine goes off, the start/stop and then the OBD port issue so since there is zero harm in putting the car on the maintenance charger and since I don't drive mine daily, I plug it in always.

YMMV

Dave

Harley N (08-18-2021)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
....and on the flip side; I installed a pigtail in the trunk making it super easy to plug in the maintenance charger (I think Lance posted the details originally - thanks again!)

These cars are hard on batteries; they have a ton of powered components that don't go "to sleep" immediately when the engine goes off, the start/stop and then the OBD port issue so since there is zero harm in putting the car on the maintenance charger and since I don't drive mine daily, I plug it in always.

YMMV

Dave
That is my feeling, it can't hurt.

DPelletier (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you guys make any distinction of where the smart key is relative to the vehicle and how often you have to charge/maintain your battery? I understand the car and the key will continually "talk" to each other and prevent the car from going to sleep if the key is in or near the car.

I keep my key at least 30 feet away from the car and use similar charge/maintenance intervals from those above.

Has anyone had any issues leaving the key in the center console and had a dead battery in a week?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

If I keep my key in the garage, the car seems to recognize it and not go completely to sleep; in the laundry room on the other side of the door it seems fine.

Dave

Old 05-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier

YMMV

Dave
Giving credit where it is due, my friend Foosh posted those details. He has now graduated to yet another Vette since he abandoned the F-Type.

DPelletier (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Giving credit where it is due, my friend Foosh posted those details. He has now graduated to yet another Vette since he abandoned the F-Type.
A yes, well I'm tipping my glass to Foosh, may he be "vetting about" with a smile on his face. At the same time I'm sure I forgot to thank you for something else along the way so keep it! LOL

Cheers,
Dave