F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default F-Type Brakes

I have enjoyed having a 2006 XK-8 convertible for 5 years and I just traded it in for a new 2017 F-Type convertible. It is the standard model, not the sport or R version. I did drive the sport and noticed the extra stopping power of the brakes.

I would love to get about 15 -20% more stopping power if possible without breaking the bank. If I change/ upgrade the pads would this accomplish this? What brands/models do you all recommend? I will not be going to the the track. Just spirited weekend drives etc. Also, it is a 3 year lease that I will have to return to Jaguar.

Other than that, I am in love with this little roadster. I just think it should stop as easily as it takes off.

Buddy

Old 09-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

If you have the base model then you most likely have the "performance" brakes, 355 mm front and 326 mm rear. They're not bad brakes, I had them on my old XFS.
The stock/OEM pads are pretty good for initial bite and stopping power, but they wear out very quickly and they are dusty as hell, and can by noisy/graunchy. I swapped out the pads on my old XFS for Power Stop Evolution ceramics, much better - smoother, zero graunch, almost zero dust, still good braking performance, just not as much initial bite. There is a new player now as well, Porterfield brakes, who do the R4-S pads for all F-Type brakes. I fitted these pads all round a couple of weeks ago and very happy with them so far as are several other forum members, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ilable-186933/
Alternatively you can upgrade the brakes, I upgraded the rears on my S a couple of weeks ago from the stock 326 mm to the "super performance" 376 mm, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...brakes-182088/
But I wouldn't do that without upgrading the front brakes as well to the big 380 mm ones, which are the stock front brakes on the S and R. Obviously I know the rear brakes can be upgraded from 326 to 376 without too much cost or hassle, but I don't know about the front brake upgrade, it may not even be possible without different hubs, and the parts would likely be twice the cost of the rears. There are a few sellers of the full "super performance" front and rear brake package on the net but IIRC the cost is around $4-5,000 US.
If I were you I would just swap out the pads for now to either Power Stop or Porterfield and then see if you want still more stopping power.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Default F-Type Brakes stopping power.

Thanks Oz,

It seems that if I were to upsize my brakes, I would need new calipers and possibly rotors as well as pads - yikes! While the OEM are a bit dusty, I only have 500 miles on the car so they are new. The stopping power is my only real complaint. I will check what installation for a new set of pads in the Los Angeles area would run and perhaps give it a try.

If they do wear out quickly, perhaps I should wait until they do? How many miles are we talking about?

Buddy

Old 09-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm quessing hundreds of dollars to mess with new calipers, rotors then consider brake proportioning.....messy. And not sure what measurable improvement you would feel.
Are you getting brake fade? Or concerned about stopping distance, bite etc ?
If you want to try different pads there don't seem to be a lot of options.
A number of us have bought the R4-S pads ( mine are resting in the box so far) many like the lack of brake dust. I used them on a Z3MCoupe before I went to track tires and found them superior to the Pagid etc pads available and am looking forward to improved brake function when I get them on the FType.That said, on my 5 or so track days I did not experience fade with the stock pads. I'd break the car in a bit, get used to the current brakes/ pads then mess with a few pad choices before embarking on a brake "switch". As OzXFR pointed out it can , and has, been done....a major project.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Budster
Thanks Oz,

It seems that if I were to upsize my brakes, I would need new calipers and possibly rotors as well as pads - yikes! While the OEM are a bit dusty, I only have 500 miles on the car so they are new. The stopping power is my only real complaint. I will check what installation for a new set of pads in the Los Angeles area would run and perhaps give it a try.

If they do wear out quickly, perhaps I should wait until they do? How many miles are we talking about?

Buddy
Yep, you would need at a minimum new rotors, callipers, calliper brackets, splash shields and pads all round, and you may also need new hubs and/or brake lines for the front brakes.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The base brakes on these cars are not shabby. During even spirited driving you should not be sensing a lack of braking force. Test drive another car at the dealer with the same brake option to determine if it's your particular car or your personal expectations are the root of your dissatisfaction. I suspect your brakes are not performing as designed.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 AM

I will do some more testing. I do not experience brake fade or a soft feel. Just not the bite I might want for rapid slow downs at higher speeds. It may just be me having to get used to them.

I will just have to get out of the house again at 6AM on Sunday to go for a drive---how terrible. Ha ha.

The dust for me is no big deal as I live in the LA area and our smog has to be washed off anyway quite regularly.

Buddy

Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

After 38,000 miles, I had planned to switch to the Porterfield pads. But when I had new tires put on yesterday, the mechanic estimated I had 80% life left in the current pads! Guess I'm not braking enough...

Old 09-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

IMHO, I wouldn't spend too much money that I'd return in 3 years.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Budster
I will do some more testing. I do not experience brake fade or a soft feel. Just not the bite I might want for rapid slow downs at higher speeds. It may just be me having to get used to them.

I will just have to get out of the house again at 6AM on Sunday to go for a drive---how terrible. Ha ha.

The dust for me is no big deal as I live in the LA area and our smog has to be washed off anyway quite regularly.

Buddy
It sounds like it's not "stopping power" but feel that you're not happy with. Initial bite on cold brakes can be improved with a change of pad, but make sure you don't give up braking performance when they're up to temperature.

I have the bigger brakes, but am still on the original pads, so don't have any recommendations for you.

Absolute stopping power going to be limited by tires.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Give it a few hundred miles before you pass judgment. It takes that long for pads to properly seat unless you're bedding them in at the track.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the advice. It sounds solid. This baby will go back in 3 short years, unless I end up buying it at the end, but who knows what models will be out then. I know that they are talking about reducing their gasoline engine line substantially. Time will tell.

Buddy