F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type engine overheat warnings

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type engine overheat warnings

I have had my 2017 F-Type from new for 18 months now from new.

Exactly 1 year ago, I started getting engine overheating warnings on the dash and called out Jaguar Assist as the advice was to stop driving the car. After spending a week in the dealership the car was returned "fixed". Now, a year later, the car has had the same recurring problem and spent a week in the dealership twice more and just on Saturday the same problem has happened again.

I have now put an official complaint in with Jaguar and have a case number. I hope this will sort out the problem once and for all as I'm at my wits end after spending a fortune on a car that I can't drive anywhere over 25 miles without it happening again. (I usually on go short journeys at 50mph or under).

Can anyone shed any light on this problem or have I just bought a lemon? If this car was my wife I would just divorce it and start again.

Last edited by GGG; 04-10-2019 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Add Model Year to replace UK 67 reg code
Old 04-01-2019, 05:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by apg73
I have had my f-type 67 reg from new for 18 months now from new. exactly 1 year ago ,I started getting engine overheating warnings on the dash and called out jaguar assist as the advice was to stop driving the car. after spending a week in the dealership the car was returned "fixed". Now , a year later, the car has had the same recurring problem and spent a week in the dealership twice more and just on Saturday the same problem has happened again. I have now put an official complaint in with jaguar and have a case number. I hope this will sort out the problem once and for all as I'm at my wits end after spending a fortune on a car that I can't drive anywhere over 25 miles without it happening again.(I usually on go short journeys at 50mph or under) can anyone shed any light on this problem or have I just bought a lemon? if this car was my wife I would just divorce it and start again.
Welcome to the forums apg,

I presume this is covered by warranty and you were given a courtesy car on each occasion so it is not actually costing you anything?

The question is whether this is a genuine overheat or a faulty temperature sensor. Have you asked the dealer for details of their investigation and what has been done to attempt rectification? I would have wanted to know they had verified coolant level, circulation and operating temperature together with the results of running Jaguar diagnostics for relevant DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

Graham

Old 04-10-2019, 01:48 AM

Hi Graham. So far they have replaced temperature sensors and also a poor connection to the ecu , all circulation and temperatures have been checked on previous occasions. They now have the car and it’s been in for nearly two weeks after it happening again but even after driving it twice a day to get the fault to reoccur it hasn’t happened to them. I have photos of the dash showing the overheating message but there is nothing stored on the cars memory when they check it. I don’t know where to go from here as they are returning the car tomorrow and nothing has actually been done to it

Old 04-10-2019, 02:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to F-Type forum and added vehicle details to your forum signature. Members here with the same model will be able to advise whether this is a known issue and if so, what can be done to resolve it.

Graham

Old 04-10-2019, 06:54 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I assume your dealer has checked obvious items such as low coolant level due to a possible leak

There have been occasional issues with water pump leak and or leaking coolant reservoir or cap.

If your dealer states no record of the fault "in car memory " my inclination from my experience , albeit limited, with Jaguar diagnostic software SDD (symptom driven diagnostic) or later Pathfinder software is to disbelieve them.

Ask them to show fault code log from diagnostic session, the various ECU will log most faults, even intermittent ones.

They are only deleted by explicit request when running diagnostic tests.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. While I know it's difficult talking to dealers and the Jaguar corporate, I am more interested in what's actually wrong with the car.

Do you think environment temperature affect your overheating situation? Maybe try driving early in the morning vs. in the afternoon?

Does your driving style affect the time to overheat?

Is the overheating situation intermittent?

Does the temperature keep going up from the moment you start the car, or does the temperature hold at any point?

Does everything else on your car work?
Especially the engine start/stop function. I think usually the engine has to have all sensors having healthy reading to have it work.

Jaguar lost lots of money in the last quarter and is also cutting expenses. I think your dealer might be under pressure to save money on warranty claims. Just a guess.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by apg73
They now have the car and it’s been in for nearly two weeks after it happening again but even after driving it twice a day to get the fault to reoccur it hasn’t happened to them. I have photos of the dash showing the overheating message but there is nothing stored on the cars memory when they check it
This can be infuriating. I don't understand why they have to duplicate the problem before it can be addressed. It's like those idiots that swear the Earth is flat because they can't actually see it with their own eyes from space. I've taken videos of a few lesser problematic issues with mine clearly showing the problem while panning over to the VIN number so they know its the same car and they won't even consider the footage to address the repair, and of course they can never duplicate it when it's in the shop.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
I don't understand why they have to duplicate the problem before it can be addressed.
How do you know if you have fixed something if you can't make it happen? Yes, it can be frustrating but if you can't make the problem happen, you can't verify you fixed anything.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Ask them if you can drive their tech around, since you seem to have the "magic touch". By that I mean, your driving style may be more aggressive, and you may employ different settings (dynamic, sport etc) than the tech does, and have a heavier right foot. Just a thought.
CRS

Old 04-13-2019, 05:31 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
How do you know if you have fixed something if you can't make it happen? Yes, it can be frustrating but if you can't make the problem happen, you can't verify you fixed anything.
I understand the point you make, undoubtedly by their nature intermittent faults could be considered more difficult to fix or verify.

However that may be more true more in the past than now.

Traditional fault finding often involved knowledge and experience leading the technician to identify suspect component and test or even for readily available parts simply substitute for a known good part. This method obviously is not very effective with intermittent faults.

With modern cars, particularly the 2017 model of OP then SDD (symptom driven diagnostic) or Pathfinder can read fault codes and even the time and mileage when the fault events occurred.

If the technician knows how to use Pathfinder then it shouldn't be too difficult to find intermittent faults.

If the engine is actually over heating there are a limited number of potential causes :

Low coolant level (leak ?)
Water pump failure
Electric fan failure (fan not working, fan not being switched on etc)
Engine thermostat fault (assuming F type has traditional wax type thermostat?)

Blocked radiator (highly unlikely on 2017 model, possible on twenty year old vehicles)

I think suggested option of taking technician on drive with owner, assuming he can make the fault happen could be helpful but shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by Paul_59; 04-13-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I never said they couldn't look at various things. I'm well aware of what can cause a car to overheat. I owned a 3rd Gen RX7 for 10 years. When you own one of those, you get a crash course in how cars overheat.

However, a "good" business, isn't just going to blindly replace parts and then hand back the car and say "I replaced something, here's the bill, and I don't know if it will fix your problem". Sure, there are small shops that will do that, but a larger shop/dealership typically won't as they also don't want bad press about someone being charged $2k for work that didn't fix their issue.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

so its been fixed for a year???? sounds like a new failure to me with same symptoms. there are a lot of things that can cause overheating and NEW(NEVER EVER WORKED)
really means nothing. If they replaced a leaking water pump or split pipe etc then it would have been for what was the issue THEN. That dos not mean that those new parts cannot fail again or something new. I have had several customers over the years that think once a part is replaced that new part lasts forever. If the one from the factory lasted a year, the new one may last 6 months, a year, or forever.. Who knows, But if it wasn't overheating within a short time again I call that repaired. But maybe that's just me.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

We still have no confirmation from the OP whether the car was actually overheating. Just open the hood. If it smells cooked, it’s overheated. It’s just meaningless banter until we know whether it’s a mechanical issue or instrumentation.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Ask them if you can drive their tech around, since you seem to have the "magic touch". By that I mean, your driving style may be more aggressive, and you may employ different settings (dynamic, sport etc) than the tech does, and have a heavier right foot. Just a thought.
CRS
With my intermittent fault I had to do that once. They couldn’t replicate it and after releasing it to me twice previously with the fault happening to me within a couple of miles, they asked if I’d be willing to do so. He did tell me that I had a similar driving style to him when he was driving his own car, but much more aggressive than they would ever be on a test drive. The fault didn’t happen so I took my car.

Of course it came back but after that we had the deal that, if possible, when the fault happened I’d drop everything and come in immediately and they’d drop everything to take it back with the fault present.

If the car isnt actually overheating (as others have mentioned), maybe see if they’d agree to something like that? Of course if it is actually overheating and you aren’t next door, that’s not really feasible.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:51 PM

Hello, I have the same problem with my 2017 F-type v6. After a coolant leak in the middle of the road, and although the car never indicated that it was overheating, the mechanic proceeded to replace the upper, lower and rear coolant pipes (the upper one had a crack), water pump and thermostat. Right after that the car starts to overheat. High speed fan stopped working. The system was purged 3 times, with no luck. Now after replacing the fan the car still overheats. The next step is to change the thermostat again, perhaps it was defective. If that doesn't work, we have no idea what might be going on. The mechanic suspects that it may have burned the gaskets the first time it overheated. Any help\info will be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:27 PM
Default 2017 V6 hot engine warning also 12/7/2023

So my F-Type Premium is driven 17 miles to work and back mostly and occasional 80mph short burst.

At 59,000 miles I drove 47miles to Kerrville and I suddenly got a warning stating something like "Engine temperature hot". However the coolant temp gauge was still right in the middle.

So next gas station I pulled in with engine running I hooked up my OB2 which is Bluetooth to an app and shows me every sensor. Engine, oil and trans temps as well.

Said it was at 230degrees. Now I'm guessing it cooled down a bit from maybe 250°F.

The outside temp was maybe 67°F according to the car.

Now most cars I have had would be dead center at 250°F and hit red zone at 275 if I remember correctly and that's when you pulled over as all the warnings would go off.

Considering mine was going off at what I suspect was 250°F yet the digital gauge shows it in the center it leads me to believe this was not an overheating message. It's merely a warning that the temp was going up.

I was heading uphill as Kerrville Texas is higher elevation than San Antonio TX.

I checked my fluid level and it was right where it should be.

I drove the rest of the way with my OBD2 connected and getting real time data.

The temp would go from about 215°F on a flat road at about 75mph but climb to about 226°F on the small up hills.

I suspect it's just a warning light that the current activity is raising the temp. However if it was getting past say 250°F instead the actual gauge would go up to the 3/4 mark and more lights would come on.

Just my guess.

One thing I do know is that this is my 1st and last Jaguar. After all the issues I have had, it just not worth it

Cheap interior construction, garbage audio system, brittle coolant return lines that leak or just explode, charging and battery issues and now this possible engine overheating issue at just 59,000 miles?

​​​​​​My $16,000 2012 Hyundai Veloster made it to 90,000 miles before any major issues and it was a melted AC switch dial and a hub bearing.

I see why Jaguar is going the way of the dodo. Car looks great and feels great at first but it's all very temporary.