Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Year Service Visit Summary

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Default First Year Service Visit Summary

First of all I would like to thank all who forewarned of the possibility of an oil overfill. The heads up is the only reason I drove around after I picked the car up from service until it was up to normal operating temperature and then pulled into a local parking lot and waited the requisite period to check the level electronically. Yep, "overfill" and back to the service department to have a half quart of oil extracted after practically having to twist their arms because, of course "our techs use an automatic fill system that precisely measures the amount of oil for each type vehicle." In any event knowing what to expect saved me a 4-hour round trip back to the dealer.
In addition to the minor dent in the driver's side door sill which I have already posted about, there was also:
1. The driver's side seat bottom plastic bolster (or whatever it's called) was detached. Fortunately it wasn't broken and I was able to snap it back into place.
2. The center front spoiler lip was damaged. (Pic attached)
3. The passenger side speaker grill was dented in several spots. I don't know how they did this unless it was in replacing the parking aid module.
4. It appears that the method for ensuring the molding on the cargo cover doesn't keep coming loose is to glue it in place, so that must be why there is glue on the cargo area carpet.
5. Fluids were not topped up.
6. Dirty, oily residue engine cover.
Yeah, I'm picky, but damn, how about a little "first, do no harm" philosophy.

No solution offered on why the passenger mirror dip feature is not adjustable as per the owner's manual. I personally find the mirror dips so low as to be useless for my purposes, and funny thing is my 2013 XF had the feature and it worked perfectly.
No solution or rationale offered as to why the dashed lines that indicate the width of the car including mirrors only appear on rare occasion. Now this is kinda funny because we all know that any time you're explaining a problem to a service advisor it's a certainty that the problem will disappear until you're long gone. This time, after having been assured that there are times when things in the manual are not really a feature on any particular car, the lines miraculously appeared as I was backing out of the service area. I called the SA over for a look see. Of course, he said he would look into it further.
I am not a happy camper.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

To me, this is unacceptable and I would involve service manager. Especially avoidable damage.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I’m not fussy, but I’d go ape$hit with all that service dept damage.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I’m not fussy, but I’d go ape$hit with all that service dept damage.
+1
I hope this dealer is not down by Hilton Head.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Noshame
+1
I hope this dealer is not down by Hilton Head.
No, not HH, but I did purchase a 2004 XJ8 down there--fantastic car that my DIL still drives daily.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this from JLR Columbia? I always seem to find something a tech damaged when I get my car back from a service. Techs generally do not exercise any special care when working on customer cars, the goal is to push the car out of the shop as quickly as possible. Cutting corners means earning more money.

The last time I took mine there, the following occurred:
1) Tech pulled the wheels (aftermarket) and remounted them without test driving the vehicle prior to delivery and steering wheel vibrations were recognized almost immediately after departing.
2) Left headlight was replaced under warranty (entire unit) and the tech snapped off the top mounting bracket on the new light during the install and never bothered to aim the light 'UP' so when I got home that night, the projector was pointed straight down. Just had to do it myself.
3) Oil used during the change was not O.E. Castrol Professional, as I later learned from some members here based on lower-than-average Titanium readings found with the oil sample I had done. Charged me for Professional, but used Edge.
4) When the tech pulled the car around the first time, he never reset the 'Service Required' indicator on the dash. I tossed the keys back to the SA and it took the guy 2 hours to reprogram the car to turn the indicator off. They said they put "their best guy on it". If that's their best, I'd sure hate to see their worst.

I took it to JLR Buckhead in Atlanta the next time and had a far more professional experience.

Last edited by WJV; 05-13-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Call Jaguar of North America and complain. That is absolutely ridiculous. I called corporate to complain about Jaguar of Austin TX and corporate made things right.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

That sucks. I agree, call Jaguar NA.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:13 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Par for the course with my experiences. Mine haven’t resulted in physical damage but have been frustrating at every turn. Dropped the car off today after having it jumped and they acted like they were doing me a favor. The service managers were passing each other nuts while I was waiting for them to finish the paperwork. Two visits ago one of the two spent 20 minutes fixing a stapler while a line of customers waited. They should have a sitcom. It must suck to work at that dealership because they are the most depressed, energy sucking people I have ever met.

I called and confirmed they would have a loaner before bringing my car in and got the manager-no one answers the phone during the lunch 1.5 hour. I had to call the sales floor. When I got there they tried to deny me one until I mentioned the manager by name and said I had just spoken to him. They then went and checked with him to confirm. Thankfully this car usually only has to go in once a year or my tolerance for this would reach a boiling point.

Last edited by caviarjag; 05-13-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Banned

Update on first year service damage:
Finally received notice that the center front spoiler lip was in so I drove the two hours to the dealer this AM to have it replaced. Wrong par...grrrrr! Two hours back home.The right part is suppose to be available for a Friday visit, but for some reason my confidence level is not that high.
Two months to source such a common part seems an inordinate length of time and to order the wrong one is doubly perplexing. The service adviser explained that "the parts manual had the wrong part number (ha ha)." I would think that the front spoiler parts would be frequent replacement items given how easy it is to scrap them if not careful.
A bit frustrated to say the least.