Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please, this AM if possible

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Help please, this AM if possible

Any assistance in identifying which bolts/screws/fasteners need to be loosened to adjust the fitment of the front center spoiler would be greatly appreciated. The dealer replaced that part Friday and it wasn't aligned properly so I investigated the problem yesterday and found that the three tabs on the driver's side of the piece were not inserted into the slots in the backing piece. This threw the center piece out of alignment with the end piece. I tried loosing what I could get at just lying on my back but couldn't force the new part into the slots. I'd rather fix it myself than drive the four hour round trip to the dealer again (it would be my third trip for the same repair), but I don't want to do more harm than good.
The service adviser has ordered a new end piece but given the circumstances that won't fix the problem.
Thanks in advance to you wrench turners.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Any assistance in identifying which bolts/screws/fasteners need to be loosened to adjust the fitment of the front center spoiler would be greatly appreciated. The dealer replaced that part Friday and it wasn't aligned properly so I investigated the problem yesterday and found that the three tabs on the driver's side of the piece were not inserted into the slots in the backing piece. This threw the center piece out of alignment with the end piece. I tried loosing what I could get at just lying on my back but couldn't force the new part into the slots. I'd rather fix it myself than drive the four hour round trip to the dealer again (it would be my third trip for the same repair), but I don't want to do more harm than good.
The service adviser has ordered a new end piece but given the circumstances that won't fix the problem.
Thanks in advance to you wrench turners.
Pic please.
Are you referring to the center spoiler (whisker) or the deflector (splitter)?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Pic please.
The center piece with the red pin stripe.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Banned

Pic please.
Here are a couple pics of the tabs that aren't in their slots and a pic of the bolts so far removed.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

I replaced my lower valance two weeks ago. To get to all the screws you have to remove the bottom pan. Their is a screw at each corner and three in the middle. I did it with only jacking up one side of the front so that I could slide under on the garage floor and remove all the T bolts.

update. Mine looks completely different then yours. Maybe because mine is an “R” or 2015. IDK

Old 06-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR
I replaced my lower valance two weeks ago. To get to all the screws you have to remove the bottom pan. Their is a screw at each corner and three in the middle. I did it with only jacking up one side of the front so that I could slide under on the garage floor and remove all the T bolts.

update. Mine looks completely different then yours. Maybe because mine is an “R” or 2015. IDK
Yeah, probably the same procedure even though mine is a base 2018. I think I'll just let the dealer make it right. What's another 6 or 8 hours and two hundred miles? I have the floor jack, but don't have any jack stands and the way my luck has been running the damn jack will probably puke it's hydraulic oil and the car will crush me in my own garage.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I replaced my splitter with a new one a couple of years ago and it was very different to what you are showing - no 8 mm or 10 mm screws or bolts instead five Torx screws (T20???) on the back side, same as Tp10XKR. I reckon the bolts/screws you are showing are for the middle "whisker" piece and not the splitter (no whisker pieces on my car anyway) and you need to do what Tp10XKR and I did - remove the front under tray and then the "cage" plastic piece under that to access the five Torx screws on the back of the splitter, that is if your splitter is mounted the same way as ours.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Yes indeed, the bottom pan (front) needs to be removed to gain access to the splitter bolts.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Banned

This link was opened by me Sunday as an adjunct to one entitled "First Year Service Damage" Well, The Saga Concludes--Almost.
Returned to the dealer today to have the center piece installed correctly, which they did I am pleased to say. They also replaced the driver side end piece and the sweeper part under the center piece, the one that takes the brunt from scraping driveways, large bumps, etc.
I say "concludes, almost" because about ten minutes from arriving at the dealer something hit the windshield and put a nice big chip in the passenger side. The ironic part is I took a different route to avoid lights and heavy traffic, otherwise I wouldn't have been on that damn bridge over the Ashley River. Aaaargh!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
This link was opened by me Sunday as an adjunct to one entitled "First Year Service Damage" Well, The Saga Concludes--Almost.
Returned to the dealer today to have the center piece installed correctly, which they did I am pleased to say. They also replaced the driver side end piece and the sweeper part under the center piece, the one that takes the brunt from scraping driveways, large bumps, etc.
I say "concludes, almost" because about ten minutes from arriving at the dealer something hit the windshield and put a nice big chip in the passenger side. The ironic part is I took a different route to avoid lights and heavy traffic, otherwise I wouldn't have been on that damn bridge over the Ashley River. Aaaargh!
Check with your insurance company. They will probably have Safelite repair it for free. Have it done real soon, otherwise the chip may develop into a crack.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Banned

Check with your insurance company. They will probably have Safelite repair it for free. Have it done real soon, otherwise the chip may develop into a crack.
Here in the third world insurance companies are required by state law to repair or replace with zero deductible providing the vehicle has full coverage. I believe it's up to me as to whether I prefer repair or replacement but I'll check with my insurer when I get a chance. Weird how these things vary by state; SC is one of only three states with such a law.