Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May I Rant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Default May I Rant?

I just need to vent some anger here, so bear with me--or not.
An old friend, an elderly gentlemen of near eighty years old, passed away last week and re-ignited the anger I had first felt earlier this year.
He called me one day and asked if I'd go with him to pick up his new Maxima since there was no one else to drive his other vehicle back I said sure and spent the better part of one whole day in the process, most of that time being him locked in a glass booth with the dealer's finance officer. He did not ask that I be present for what was sure to be a high pressure push for add-ons, and I didn't volunteer in fear that I'd insult his intelligence and consumer savy. All business was finalized, we took the cars to his home and he took me back to mine.
The next day he called and asked, rather sheepishly, if I'll go over his paperwork, which I did and there was this:
The largest package of papers I've ever seen from what should have been a simple automobile purchase.
There was in this package two extended warranties, one paint sealant contract, one key fob loss warranty, one roadside assistance agreement, and at least one other fee the name and purpose I can't recall.
Total price of these add-ons: Over seven thousand, two hundred dollars!
I was livid. This is an almost 80 yo male, obviously in poor health, sporting one of those portable oxygen machines and walking with great difficulty. I thought to myself "if this isn't elder abuse, it sure as hell should be."
After wading through the pile of trash, much of it which I had to research since I'd never of the coverage or the provider, I spoke to my friend and asked him if he knew what he purchased. Nope, he had no idea what he'd been sold.. I offered him some suggestions on what he might do and he opted to return to the dealer the next day to see if they would let him out of most if not all of it. He turned down my offer to accompany him and ended up getting a twelve hundred dollar refund for one of the garbage fees they had tacked on. My response was on the order of "that's not good enough, you've been ripped off big time" and I offered to introduce him to one of my attorneys. I think in large part due to the fog of early demetia he decided to not pursue the matter further.
The saddest part of this is not that my old buddy was out over seven grand, it's that he has a granddaughter paying her own way through college who he tries to help whenever he can who could have put that money toward her education.
Another thing that occurred to my upon his passing was what the value of the nearly new car might be. It was financed, along with the add-ons; I know that. It seems likely that with depreciation it's under water by a considerable amount, leaving his heirs with an unexpected can of worms.
The dealership involved should be ashamed, and I will personally take every opportunity to sully their reputation.

The following 3 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
16fnrbrg (11-15-2019), 89 Jacobra (11-15-2019), Suaro (11-16-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

You are right on with this being elder abuse.
This wasn't the Nissan dealer in Beaufort I hope.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
The dealership involved should be ashamed, and I will personally take every opportunity to sully their reputation.
Well, you missed this first opportunity to name and shame.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Noshame
You are right on with this being elder abuse.
This wasn't the Nissan dealer in Beaufort I hope.
Pawleys Island

Old 11-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Your friend isn't special. It is an industry based on larceny. It starts in the board room and extends down to the retail level. Take time to read about the board room shenanigans at Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen, Renault, and Nissan. C level executives have been charged and even taken into custody. The abuse at the retail level is not directed at senior citizens its directed at any man, woman or child who is vulnerable to these vultures. If you aren't a trial lawyer who is willing to read every word and negotiate every number, you are better off using a intermediary or a cab. The sales persons are charmers, because that is what is called for. The F&I guys are the true criminals. The dealership's money isn't too be made on the purchase price, its to be made on the auxiliary charges. The problem is exacerbated by a understanding among retailers not to discipline bad actors and a lack of activity on the part of Attorneys General and Consumer Protection Bureaus to prosecute the miscreants. The political influence of dealers is not to be underestimated.

Noshame (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

You stated that you: "...spent the better part of one whole day..." at the dealership. Yet, you won't accompany him in the Finance office.
It takes less than 10 minutes to say:
"No"
"No"
"No"
to all the "Junk" add-ons & extended warranties...

AJ16er (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Let him know

Most extended warranties can be backed out of for a full refund prior to their coverage starting. He shouldn't have to go back to the dealer to do this... its done through the mail.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Dealerships are not just elder abuse, it is abuse period.

Unfortunately, we have laws in place that disallow automotive manufacturers from selling cars directly to consumers. So we have to deal with these parasitic rent-seeking scumbags with the new car and warranty claims.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
You stated that you: "...spent the better part of one whole day..." at the dealership. Yet, you won't accompany him in the Finance office.
It takes less than 10 minutes to say:
"No"
"No"
"No"
to all the "Junk" add-ons & extended warranties...
These guys are professional negotiators, unless you have presence of mind AND fully aware of all manipulative and sometimes even borderline illegal tactics, you stand no chance. For example, charging fake government fees is not illegal. You have to become an expert on what are actual legitimate fees are to fight this off.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the rant, fujicoupe. It makes me anticipate what may begin to happen to me, with my age rounding off to your friend's already. Now folks are mostly considerate of my aging, perhaps declining physical abilities, and -- I believe -- not too much declination in the mental stuff.
My aging MIL has been "had" a couple times, not to the extent of your friend, yet we continually remind her of cautions needed. She still drives, but will not be replacing her current auto, so that adventure is out of the question. Regular reports of the "ranking" of "professions" always have the auto dealers near the worst, so that part is not a surprise.
Again, thanks for the rant, a tribute to your friend. I'll enjoy my F again tomorrow, and perhaps think about it!

Old 11-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,855 Likes on 7,626 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
These guys are professional negotiators, unless you have presence of mind AND fully aware of all manipulative and sometimes even borderline illegal tactics, you stand no chance. For example, charging fake government fees is not illegal. You have to become an expert on what are actual legitimate fees are to fight this off.
That pretty much sums up real estate escrow fees also. But most are not gov imposed fees, just lots of $$$$$ padding..

Old 11-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
Thanks for the rant, fujicoupe. It makes me anticipate what may begin to happen to me, with my age rounding off to your friend's already. Now folks are mostly considerate of my aging, perhaps declining physical abilities, and -- I believe -- not too much declination in the mental stuff.
My aging MIL has been "had" a couple times, not to the extent of your friend, yet we continually remind her of cautions needed. She still drives, but will not be replacing her current auto, so that adventure is out of the question. Regular reports of the "ranking" of "professions" always have the auto dealers near the worst, so that part is not a surprise.
Again, thanks for the rant, a tribute to your friend. I'll enjoy my F again tomorrow, and perhaps think about it!
Thanks for the comment. I think you are one of the few who understands that this type of behavior is indeed age related to a degree.