F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More blower noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This would either cause A... a massive boost leak, or B... unmetered air getting into your engine and subsequently it running lean. Would not advise before truly understanding where that air is going.
I don't know much about SC motors, this being my first. But if it's anything like a turbo'd moyor, of which I've had many, then there would be a diverter valve somewhere between the SC and the manifold that would open to let excess boost discharge on throttle close, normally there would be a hose connecting the diverter valve to the intake before the SC, so the excess boost gets recirculated. People often take off that hose and plug the hole in the intake so that when the diverter valve opens it goes whoosh

EDIT: on further research, this doesn't apply to a SC

Last edited by G4Z808; 02-04-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Depends on the layout of the plumbing. When VW were making the G60 engine, the throttle body itself contained the valve for the return, so you could take the hose off safe in the knowledge that that particular port would only ever blow (so no unmetered air), and without creating a boost leak.

You did have to put a blanking plate over where the other end of the return pipe mounted though.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Depends on the layout of the plumbing. When VW were making the G60 engine, the throttle body itself contained the valve for the return, so you could take the hose off safe in the knowledge that that particular port would only ever blow (so no unmetered air), and without creating a boost leak.

You did have to put a blanking plate over where the other end of the return pipe mounted though.
Correct, which is why we need to fully understand the system before just going to pull lines off.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

My m3 has no diverters valve, it plumbs boost back into system to act as an antilag type setup

Just like a turbo motor, the easiest way to get more noise is to run an open filter element - and currently only eventuri have a decent intake kit

Those silencer tubes bw airbox and Tb are more designed to act like harmonic adjustments to the airflow and thus sound, they won't do as much to add whine as an open airbox, but if the price is right via that mina gallery, id be keen to give it a go

Last edited by domino_z; 02-04-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:11 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Correct, which is why we need to fully understand the system before just going to pull lines off.
There is a bypass valve on the supercharger, but it performs a different role to a wastegate or blow off valve in a turbo.

The bypass valve opens to cut boost when you close the throttle, or when you are cruising with no throttle. This reduces the load on the intake system (i.e. reduces the parasitic losses of driving the supercharger). It opens up a path between the inlet and the outlet of the supercharger internally, so that there is no boost.

On the F-Types these bypass valves are driven by a stepper motor, on the older models they worked mechanically off manifold vacuum.

There is no benefit to be had from messing around with the bypass valve, so don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by domino_z
Just like a turbo motor, the easiest way to get more noise is to run an open filter element - and currently only eventuri have a decent intake kit

Those silencer tubes bw airbox and Tb are more designed to act like harmonic adjustments to the airflow and thus sound, they won't do as much to add whine as an open airbox, but if the price is right via that mina gallery, id be keen to give it a go
On the older supercharged Jags (like my XJR) replacing the plastic intake that has the heimholz resonators on it, with a plain metal tube brought out a lot more supercharger whine, also opening up the air filter itself helps to enhance the noise.

Now that Mina is making these sort of intakes, i'd say go for it.

In the past some people fabricated their own, here's one on a 5.0L XKR that was made a few years ago...

More blower noise-xkr-5.0-intake.jpg

Something like this (in metal) along with open filters like the Eventuri or similar, will go a long way to freeing up the whine.

But you won't get the same sort of whine like the old cars with the M112 blower, the TVS on the newer engines is just not as loud.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (02-07-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 AM

I've emailed Mina gallery for more info and pricing on the intake tube. Hopefully I can get one in and get some impressions/sound clips

The following users liked this post:
jfranks (02-05-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Is that diagram from the v6 or v8? Is there a significant difference?

I was just watching a video comparing the v6 & v8. In the 8, you hear more exhaust and in the 6 it seemed like you could hear more motor and SC. It may just be a function of the v8 having a deeper sound and over powering the mic, but I'm not sure that would account for it...

Old 02-07-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
Is that diagram from the v6 or v8? Is there a significant difference?

I was just watching a video comparing the v6 & v8. In the 8, you hear more exhaust and in the 6 it seemed like you could hear more motor and SC. It may just be a function of the v8 having a deeper sound and over powering the mic, but I'm not sure that would account for it...
I think the v6 and the v8 have the same intake part#

Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Heres what i did for my V6 XE:

Removed engine cover = 2%
Removed Charcoal pre-filters from airboxes (not primary air filters) = 2%
Added VAP tune (boost from 11psi to 19 psi?) = 15%

Swap soft Y-Pipe for a Hard pipe like Mina = Unknown but should net +10% or more do to the nature of the soft pipe design and purpose.

Finally, port the blower which is super easy and will add a bump in power/flow.

The following 2 users liked this post by BigCat09:
alphakinase (01-04-2018), DirtyAir (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Heres what i did for my V6 XE:

Removed engine cover = 2%
Removed Charcoal pre-filters from airboxes (not primary air filters) = 2%
Added VAP tune (boost from 11psi to 19 psi?) = 15%

Swap soft Y-Pipe for a Hard pipe like Mina = Unknown but should net +10% or more do to the nature of the soft pipe design and purpose.

Finally, port the blower which is super easy and will add a bump in power/flow.
Mmm.. that may explain why I thought mine was louder after dropping in the VAP tune. I'll have to see if I can find the exact difference..

Old 02-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by G4Z808
I think the v6 and the v8 have the same intake part#
Yes the V6 and V8 intakes are the same.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
There is a bypass valve on the supercharger, but it performs a different role to a wastegate or blow off valve in a turbo.

The bypass valve opens to cut boost when you close the throttle, or when you are cruising with no throttle. This reduces the load on the intake system (i.e. reduces the parasitic losses of driving the supercharger). It opens up a path between the inlet and the outlet of the supercharger internally, so that there is no boost.

On the F-Types these bypass valves are driven by a stepper motor, on the older models they worked mechanically off manifold vacuum.

There is no benefit to be had from messing around with the bypass valve, so don't worry about it.

On the older supercharged Jags (like my XJR) replacing the plastic intake that has the heimholz resonators on it, with a plain metal tube brought out a lot more supercharger whine, also opening up the air filter itself helps to enhance the noise.

Now that Mina is making these sort of intakes, i'd say go for it.

In the past some people fabricated their own, here's one on a 5.0L XKR that was made a few years ago...

Attachment 142289

Something like this (in metal) along with open filters like the Eventuri or similar, will go a long way to freeing up the whine.

But you won't get the same sort of whine like the old cars with the M112 blower, the TVS on the newer engines is just not as loud.
While noting that we aren't chasing the final few % due to the limitation on throttle valve opening, unless the output bleed pipe is after the Intercooler, feeding it back to before the supercharger will reduce boost due to the increase in temperature...

Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Here you can see the bypass valve butterfly, it's before the intercoolers, basically just opens a path from the outlet of the supercharger to the inlet.

More blower noise-20140416_091534.jpg

Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been looking for a straight answer on this:

Is the bypass valve fully closed at WOT in the de-tuned 340hp engine (and perhaps the V8 as well)? Sure would be an easy way to limit output.

I also don't understand how there could be no benefit to modulating bypass valve function if it is indeed controlling boost... presumably this is how VAP and other tuners have managed to increase boost without touching either SC pulley.

Here is what the JLR docs say about it... not too clear...

In any case I don't think this would help any for increased noise...

Old 02-08-2017, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by alphakinase
I've been looking for a straight answer on this:

Is the bypass valve fully closed at WOT in the de-tuned 340hp engine (and perhaps the V8 as well)? Sure would be an easy way to limit output.

I also don't understand how there could be no benefit to modulating bypass valve function if it is indeed controlling boost... presumably this is how VAP and other tuners have managed to increase boost without touching either SC pulley.

Here is what the JLR docs say about it... not too clear...

In any case I don't think this would help any for increased noise...

I would imagine that JLR does not fully close the BPV at WOT, as this would be one of the ways to detune the engines. On the F-Type 400, that valve is probably close to fully closed at WOT.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I would imagine that JLR does not fully close the BPV at WOT, as this would be one of the ways to detune the engines. On the F-Type 400, that valve is probably close to fully closed at WOT.
Is there any reason (other than de-tuning) the BPV would need to be partially closed at throttle positions over a certain % (say 25% throttle for instance, why not just close the BPV all the way and make use of the boost)?

If the engine can take full boost at 6500rpm, then it should be able to take full boost at 2500rpm, etc. since boost is proportional to RPM... of course BPV would still need to take into account deceleration and throttle liftoff.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Couple of reasons I can think why it would remain partially open is unnecessary load on the lobe bearings and heat build up.
But please continue this discussion. I also think that under 100% throttle opening and load the valve should be in the fully closed position, but I don't think it is...

Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

bump! any update or pics of this mina gallery intake tube?

in process of ordering an eventuri for my m3, might see if i can get a good deal by adding the f-type too

Old 03-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you look up Mina gallery online there are pictures of the intake tubes ---- mine was the 1st one made for the F type --- and the production pieces are being made overseas --- makes a little more noise because it eliminates the restrictors and looks bad *** !!!

Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by frank james
If you look up Mina gallery online there are pictures of the intake tubes ---- mine was the 1st one made for the F type --- and the production pieces are being made overseas --- makes a little more noise because it eliminates the restrictors and looks bad *** !!!
Can you provide us with sound clips?