Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more front plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 07:09 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts
Default No more front plate

In a couple of weeks NB will abandon front plates at last. My Amonite R came with a front plate bracket, complete with Dealer advertising, attached to the horizontal bar.
If I can avoid filling the holes/ repaint ( my skill level would have me drive the car to a body shop, pay them and drive it home) I’d like to.
Any ideas ?
Thought of a wrap...the bar is gloss black....wondered about a flag/ logo ...
Input appreciated.

Alan

Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
In a couple of weeks NB will abandon front plates at last. My Amonite R came with a front plate bracket, complete with Dealer advertising, attached to the horizontal bar.
If I can avoid filling the holes/ repaint ( my skill level would have me drive the car to a body shop, pay them and drive it home) I’d like to.
Any ideas ?
Input appreciated.

Alan
With a wrap, you'll still see dimples where the holes are.
Assuming the installing dealer was professional enough to drill the holes symmetrically, I would simply install some small glossy black hole plugs.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
With a wrap, you'll still see dimples where the holes are.
Assuming the installing dealer was professional enough to drill the holes symmetrically, I would simply install some small glossy black hole plugs.

Yep, that is very close to what I did.
The previous owner (probably the dealership) had installed a big ugly plate holder that extended well outside the ends of the plates, mounted with screws.
When I removed it and replaced the plates with custom slim-line plates (no plate front or rear in South Oz = automatic ticket, massive fine and possible seizure of the car, it is an unpardonable sin to attempt to evade the ever present speed cameras) I had an ugly hole about 6 cm either side of the plate, and I filled those holes with two self-tapping gloss black screws with heads approx 5 mm in diameter, the same screws I used to mount the plate. Not a perfect fix but almost invisible to the untrained eye and zero cost.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I went through this...the bar can be sanded smooth where the holes are and the holes filled, but.... I did consult a shop regarding wrapping but they advised that the holes would show through, as you have been told. In the end I decided to do it the right way (that means the expensive way) and had a new bar installed:

Old 06-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
Any ideas ?
Input appreciated.

Alan
Come to Maine and Mike - our dear friend and GM of Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover - will hook you up. (With, at the very least, a lobster roll and a place to sleep).

Old 06-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Awd

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Come to Maine and Mike - our dear friend and GM of Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover - will hook you up. (With, at the very least, a lobster roll and a place to sleep).
Two irresistible events....

Old 06-23-2019, 03:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
I went through this...the bar can be sanded smooth where the holes are and the holes filled, but.... I did consult a shop regarding wrapping but they advised that the holes would show through, as you have been told. In the end I decided to do it the right way (that means the expensive way) and had a new bar installed:

Just out of curiosity, about how much was “the expensive way”. I have a total of 4 holes in mine!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
Any ideas ?
Input appreciated.

Alan
The province of Ontario is apparently considering raising speed limits (about time) and getting rid of the ugly front plates. Just curious as to the reason NB has decided get rid of the plate. ? What influenced the government decision.?

Lawrence

Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlisle Owen
Just out of curiosity, about how much was “the expensive way”. I have a total of 4 holes in mine!
Well, I took the opportunity to deal with some minor stone chips at the same time and to replace the chrome surround. The entire bumper and grille were removed, repainted, new chrome, new bar...the chrome surround cost about $200 CAD...I cannot find the invoice for the new bar but the total bill was about $1500...not what you wanted to hear.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Awd

Difficult to not slag many of the decisions made by so many of our politicians.
NB has a minority gvt and one of the “supporting” parties wants savings for citizens and chucking unnecessary regulations. Thus no more front plates. They also would like scrapping annual vehicle inspections after the 1st inspection and annual registration fees ( this is my quick understanding of their position and all other things being equal, not necessarily accurate)
First step is the “no front plate”.

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
Difficult to not slag many of the decisions made by so many of our politicians.
NB has a minority gvt and one of the “supporting” parties wants savings for citizens and chucking unnecessary regulations. Thus no more front plates. They also would like scrapping annual vehicle inspections after the 1st inspection and annual registration fees ( this is my quick understanding of their position and all other things being equal, not necessarily accurate)
First step is the “no front plate”.
What does slag mean in this context? BTW I live in South Carolina and we have no front plate, no vehicle inspection and no emissions inspection. I'm unaware of any negative impact from the lack of any of the three.

Last edited by fujicoupe; 06-23-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: incomplete response
Old 06-23-2019, 11:32 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

slag == criticise (or criticize, to taste)

In the UK we'd say "slag off".

Old 06-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
slag == criticise (or criticize, to taste)

In the UK we'd say "slag off".
I'm learning a whole new slang from this forum. I'll keep my pecker up and slog on.

The following 2 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
Carbuff2 (06-23-2019), scm (06-23-2019)