F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some issues with my second hand f-type

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default some issues with my second hand f-type

abit of background info, I just bought a second hand 2015 F-type coupe. In general it run pretty smooth a bit of rattle due to wear near the rear right bar, the steering column electric control is a bit weird as i pull the button toward me the steering wheel direction went down instead of coming closer towards me.
the biggest issue that bother me the most is the shift point in the transmission, when i was cruising and i put my foot down the car seems just to bogged down instead of going to lower gear and pulls away. I have tried putting in S mode and Dynamic mode on, and yet the gear seems reluctant to go down. Also if i were doing 30 mph or so and decide to pulls away by pressing down the accelerator pedal it will pull away but the shift point wouldn't go beyond 3.000rpm.

anyone here can help me with what to do? or might have experience same issues??

thanks in advance for any info or help

Old 10-05-2020, 10:42 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,392 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The gearbox does "learn" your driving style - if you've been cruising it'll assume you want to continue that way and be lazy in changing gear. Once you start flooring the throttle it gets the idea and should hang on to the red line before shifting, especially in S and dynamic. Of course, if you do that you'll be hitting some decent speeds ....

Mine certainly revs beyond 3000 when I put some lead in my right foot. Have you tried kickdown?

Old 10-05-2020, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by scm
The gearbox does "learn" your driving style - if you've been cruising it'll assume you want to continue that way and be lazy in changing gear. Once you start flooring the throttle it gets the idea and should hang on to the red line before shifting, especially in S and dynamic. Of course, if you do that you'll be hitting some decent speeds ....

Mine certainly revs beyond 3000 when I put some lead in my right foot. Have you tried kickdown?
Thank you for the reply, I tried kickdown, I pressed the accelerator pedal all the way until it hit the switch in the foot pedal. It will pulls away but it wont move to lower gear. perhaps it "learns" from the previous owner. wonder if there is a way for it to unlearn previous driver habbits

Old 10-06-2020, 04:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marv152x
Thank you for the reply, I tried kickdown, I pressed the accelerator pedal all the way until it hit the switch in the foot pedal. It will pulls away but it won't move to lower gear. perhaps it "learns" from the previous owner. wonder if there is a way for it to unlearn previous driver habits
Sounds like you have a problem. On kickdown it may take a few seconds but will definitely change down a few cogs and the car should then take off. Previous driver habit memories shouldn't last long at all. Does it shift okay using the paddles?

Old 10-06-2020, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Mine was doing that when the supercharger belt failed

Old 10-06-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Mine was doing that when the supercharger belt failed
I hope this is not the case as the car has only about 4,000 miles on the clock

Old 10-06-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Sounds like you have a problem. On kickdown it may take a few seconds but will definitely change down a few cogs and the car should then take off. Previous driver habit memories shouldn't last long at all. Does it shift okay using the paddles?
up shift with paddle only works fine only if I acclerate gradually and manage to get to what i call a "sweet spot" where there is some sort of match between engine rpm and foot throttle position and it gets above 3,000 rpm. I haven't try using the lanch control to see if it will accelerate like other automatic transmission yet

Old 10-06-2020, 01:23 PM
scm
Veteran Member

You don't say which model you have but if you have the V8 you won't have launch control. I believe it was only available for the V6 and 4-pot.
However, using the upshift paddle should work smoothly at pretty much any engine speed and throttle position so yours definitely sounds wrong. Can you get the seller to check it out and possibly reflash the gearbox software?

Old 12-17-2020, 11:32 PM

Hi to those who might have been following this thread, I just like to close this by saying that the issue have been solve my downshift have been reluctant due to knock sensor error. According to the workshop the knock sensor error leads to the car going into limp mode, despite the fact it doesn't show any error code on the digital display in the speedometer.

after a thorough observation from the workshop I got a bill saying wiring harness repair and resets, also my steering column is also back to normal due to recalibration using workshop configurator equipments. I just had a quick round trip from workshop to house and very happy, the car is really good mess around with dynamic mode alot. I haven't had the chance for long drive and twisty road test drive yet.

Thank you all for input and reading, I hope this thread helps for future references

The following 3 users liked this post by Marv152x:
BruceTheQuail (12-18-2020), DJS (12-18-2020), Mbourne (12-18-2020)