General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AutoEnginuity scan tool with Jaguar enhanced or IDS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts
Default AutoEnginuity scan tool with Jaguar enhanced or IDS.

I have the possibility of buying an older AutoEnginuity scanner with enhanced Jaguar package which will work with Jaguar's up to 2003. As my car is this old and I will not be changing it for a more modern one as it is a manual gearbox sport which is a very rare variant.
I already have a scanner to deal with the engine etc but I have heard that it is not a good idea to use a mangoose to program any components.
I could try and get the old wds computer but they are just as expensive as AutoEnginuity system.
My question is does anybody have any experience with this device and would they recommend it as the good dealerships for Jaguars are very rare here and there is no independent here that has experience of the s type near to me.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I used AutoEnginuity from the days before the Jaguar enhancement was available and updated to their Proline hardware when the enhancement was introduced.

All went well until they 'upgraded' to their Giotto software release. Connection to the vehicle then became erratic and this was not resolved in two later software updates.

I gave up on it two years ago after repeated emails to their technical help failed to make any progress.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Ducmon (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I'd love to play around with that AutoEnginuity to see if it can reset adaptations on the AJ16 engines. My WDS cannot do that.

I also have a Genrad handheld that cannot do it either.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Generally AE is (well, was when I looked) read-only - it does not program modules or even options within them.

It's quite easy to use but nothing like a dealer tool.

I decided not to upgrade mine, partly because it's over-priced.

If I wanted to do the sorts of things mentioned I'd get WDS / (non-clone) IDS. (Well, I might instead just pay an indy.)

However, those tools are what I'd call user-hostile... Very painful if used hardly ever. Easy to use in a way not intended.

I've not wanted to reprogram any modules or features and probably most users also would never need to do that.

Last edited by JagV8; 07-06-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:46 AM

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered one for 60 dollars because the nearest indie with the equipment to program any modules is over 200km away. I have had bad experiences with the workshops around me but I am a member of a car club that has access to qualified car technicians who will be able to help me if we have to reprogram modules.

If I need the enhanced package I can buy it when required without having to pay import tax.

The lack of donor cars here in Germany means that I have limited choice when buying modules so I expect that sooner or later I will have to program one or even just a key.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Which did you buy?

Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 PM

Hi
it is on ebay for 60$ for the device and then you have to pay 229 for the enhanced package. ebay number.
Der Verkäufer ist für dieses Angebot verantwortlich.

I Have contacted AutoEnginuity to make sure that it would work and they have confirmed that it will work up to 2003 but not for later cars.
"The connector sold here will work for the '03 and earlier models. If you have a newer model you will need the ST06 sold here: https://www.autoenginuity.com/product-category/scantool/"

Bill"

" Enhanced Jaguar is $229.95 and can be purchased here: https://www.autoenginuity.com/product-category/oe-coverage-options/"

Old 07-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

That would be a lot of $$$ for something that's a lot less able than WDS or IDS...

Old 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM

when I checked what it can deal with it seemed pretty extensive and in my opinion it is a lot cheaper than a genuine JLR Mongoose and a topix subscription.

https://www.autoenginuity.com/produc...e-module-list/

As I have already said for me it is a valid option as Ford/Mazda WDS computer costs over 350 euros and then I need to get the jaguar program for at least another 100€ when I find one.

As these computers are very old they may not be reliable enough to program modules and the spare parts are now very difficult to find.

The nearest dealer is over 50 km away and they have a very bad reputation. The local car mechanics have never seen a Jaguar up close and they only have the scanners for German cars.

So if any thing went wrong with the car the only Independent jaguar workshop is in Leipzig and that is 174 KM away. To take the car there by trailer would cost around 500 €

so to me this is a valid cost.

I am living in a country where I have not seen a single S type this year and when I drove to the Rhineland and back I saw 2 f pace, 2 e types and 1 MK2.

Jaguars are relatively exotic here with the German cars being more popular, so it is the only option to keep these cars on the road that you have to diy it as much as possible and I am lucky as i have a friend who was a Jaguar Tech in America before he retired and moved back here.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

You can't program modules with AE - right?

So you'll read only. Which you could do (and do better) with a cheap Mongoose clone - right?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
You can't program modules with AE - right?

So you'll read only. Which you could do (and do better) with a cheap Mongoose clone - right?
+1

YES - AE is code read only.

Graham

Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

If you get a WDS you can get the software from many of us on this forum. I have it on a 'google-drive' so it can be downloaded.

I agree that the WDS is an old machine but it is what I used everyday for years (until IDS was released).

I have 3 WDS PTUs and I use them. I have done CLEAR ADAPTATIONS for the ZF6HP26 gearboxes. I configure keys to cars. They are not as feeble as you might think. If the Windows 98 becomes unstable I simply reload windows.

bob

Old 07-10-2017, 02:31 AM

I did not say that they are feeble, just that they are very expensive and old.

Concerning the mongoose clone no problem I have used one but as it is a clone and others on the forum have stated unreliable. I personally would only use it as last resort.

Topix is very expensive to use as a lot of people have stated compared with other systems such as Mercedes.

ae can at least program keys which I was unable to get done here. I had to get the old key cloned in Poland after trying to get a spare key cut for a year.

icarsoft is a bit hit or miss when trying to read the etc.

an elm 327 is a nice device and a clone is cheap but I am now on my third one in a year and I have also found that they work with some cars very well and some time unable to read anything. A good program is difficult to find. I needed to check the pre and post cat O2 sensors. Most of the programs that I found could only read the post cat sensor.

Last year when I went for the emission test my car nearly failed because the TUV equipment could not connect to my car. It took all off their OBD scanner tools to be connected before one was found to be able to connect. I nearly had to pay for 4 tests it was only when I asked for the manager that it was agreed that it was only one test.

So I need the equipment to be able to prove to them that it is their equipment is at fault and not my car and if you go in with an illegal copy these guys have to report you to the police.
When the MIL light is on they don't even bother checking the car. They just charge you and send you home to get the car repaired and then you have to go back and be changed the full price once again So I need to be able to work on the car myself.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

You aren't likely to need to pay for TOPIx.

It's not illegal to use IDS as it's a free download.

The idea that an emissions place would get into possible trademark/copyright/etc infringement is fanciful (to be kind).

The posts I've seen did not appear to show any actual need (a desire, maybe) to read the O2s (but in any case many tools let you).

With luck, anyone else thinking of buying AE is thoroughly aware it's read only and over-priced.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:18 AM

You aren't likely to need to pay for TOPIx.

It's not illegal to use IDS as it's a free download.

The idea that an emissions place would get into possible trademark/copyright/etc infringement is fanciful (to be kind).

The posts I've seen did not appear to show any actual need (a desire, maybe) to read the O2s (but in any case many tools let you).

With luck, anyone else thinking of buying AE is thoroughly aware it's read only and over-priced.
The TUV is an Organisation which is used by the police to check on many things here they do not just deal with emissions of cars. They are a quality control Organisation such British standards. They are legally bound to report
infringement as they are an Organisation which goes around trade shows checking for copyright.

You will quite often see the TUV seal on products that are sold from Germany.

I do not consider 60 dollars a waste of money for the basic device and the program. I have stated that I will not being buying the enhancement unless I need it but as an option it is there.

I have had to do a number of repairs on my car and others where I have needed a reliable scanner and the elm has not always functioned with these cars. eg. BMW 3 series.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Keep your eye out for a Genrad 510, (or 500?), this may be the smarter solution for you. Can read all the codes and could probably do a lot more.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM

I have been I tried to buy one on ebay last year but I was outbid in the last moment.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ducmon
The TUV is an Organisation which is used by the police to check on many things here they do not just deal with emissions of cars. They are a quality control Organisation such British standards. They are legally bound to report
infringement as they are an Organisation which goes around trade shows checking for copyright.
I'm not sure what copyright you think you'd infringe... Not IDS/SDD...

Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I cleared SDS codes with my AE on my wife's Mercedes, so it's not Read only, but you cannot program modules with it. Yes it's pricey, sort of. It can be used on multiple makes and models and the enhanced options interfaces aren't ridiculously priced. Once you have them you can clear codes.

So you have the generic reader, read only. Then you buy the enhanced options. I have the Mercedes and Jaguar. You can clear codes and do some programming. It records live data. as well.

It is licensed to you for life - there is no subscription. Generic updates are free for life. Enhanced options are free the first year, then you buy updates afterward. Those are rarely worth it unless you buy a newer model and your last update doesn't cover it yet.

All told, I paid about $750 I think, including the two enhanced Manufacturer specific interfaces. These by the way, are all embedded in the single VCM and software is downloaded to the unit.

If you sell it, you just need to transfer ownership to the buyer via phone at no cost to anyone.

I still have the unit but no longer have a Mercedes. So for the shade tree mechanic, it's one tool for Read and clear codes.

If you have the need to reprogram - look at Jags OEM software instead. But keep in mind, that changes with time too. First WDS, then IDS, then SDD (which can read IDS covered vehicles but I don't know about WDS systems) and now Jag is on to newer software (since 2012 maybe?).

SDD (the OEM unit ) is sold by Jaguar for around $2400 or you can buy used for around $800 including cables, VCM module and software.

I own SDD as well.

Last edited by Sean W; 07-10-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

You can clear codes with a $5 tool.

We mean read only as in can't program modules.