General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 7,918 Likes on 4,785 Posts

I have tried several PC66 SODIMM 'sticks' and some do the same thing you describe.
I tried a 256 and it did not boot. I tried a 128 and it booted fine.
I now have 160 in BOTH my PTUs (32 on the board + 128).
I have a few 128 and 256 that do NOT work in the PTU so I don't know why some are 'HAPPY' and some don't function.

I know the PC100 are NOT backwards compatible even though everyone says they are.

bob gauff

Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aston-jag
I have tried 2 different pc-66 ram sodimm memory cards in my genrad 3500 to speed up the system. Unfortunately the tablet doesn't start up with either one of these cards. The screen doesn't light up.As soon as I have removed them the computer acts normal again. Do I have to change the BIOS settings? Any advice will be appreciated.
Hi, I had the same problem awhile back (post #138 in this thread). In my case what I thought was Pc-66 was actually pc100 mislabled as pc66. I ended up getting a Kingston brand memory stick from a different supplier and it worked right away - no bios changes.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Possibly only some memory widths are supported. For example, I have an old PC (it used to run XP) that needs x8 or x16 memory. There's a config ROM on memory boards that tells the PC what the memory organisation (including width) is.

You can find the width etc using google but it can be painful hunting.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I just want to say thanks to all those contributing WDS information. This forum has got to be the most comprehensive source of WDS info on the internet. Using info found here I’ve successfully revived a long-neglected WDS, and am in the process of making some 21st century enhancements in the way of additional memory and a CompactFlash/SSD conversion.

My WDS had a failed power supply (seized cooling fan) resulting in a completely inoperative WDS docking station and WDS. Several members of this forum shared invaluable insight into power supply failures which helped me to replace the original Powersolve brand power supply with a slightly modified off-the-shelf “ATX”-type computer power supply and a 16V, 6A laptop charger. This may be old news for the members of this forum, but I feel obliged to share some photos of how these components can be connected to the docking station to make an effective repair. If anyone needs more information let me know and I can provide more details.

Hopefully this info will give someone else the confidence to open up their machine and breathe new life into an old WDS!

Attached Thumbnails Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-1_wds_docking_station_atx_pinouts.jpg   Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-2_original_power_supply_removed.jpg   Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-3_docking_station_6pin_connector.jpg   Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-4_laptop_power_supply.jpg   Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-5_laptop_power_supply.jpg  

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station-6_installation_complete.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Gijzzy (12-12-2015)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Good stuff. I don't have WDS but someone else may be glad of your pics.

mikE-Type (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the pics. Mine works OK at this time but if the Power supply fails I will have some recourse.

I had one docking station with a bad circuit board and one that the power supply failed so I made 2 into one.

I will probably line up a 300 or 400 watt unit to have as a replacement when the original gives out.

GOOD STUFF

bob gauff

mikE-Type (05-08-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Some general WDS questions.

I just got a WDS (installed bigger hard drive, uploaded newest JAGUAR software, and no luck yet with expanding memory). The biggest problem I have is it linking / communicating with my car....but it does sometimes.
1. Is the B203 cable suppose to work on my car? I have a brand new B203 cable which I haven't had success with yet, but I have two beat up B259 cables which often work.
2. Are some of the pins longer than the rest in the B block / port of the PTU? Seven of the 40 pins are longer than the rest of the pins in my PTU. If fact they are twice as long. I'm not sure if they are suppose to be like that, if I should try to shove them back in with needle nose pliers, or if they are replacements / repairs.
3. It does not give me options to clear many of the DTC's. Do I need to reprogram an existing module to clear them. Example:
C1446 Stop lamp circuit fault (part of the ABS / DSCCM). I replaced my stop pedal switch recently to fix a problem....what do I need to do to clear this code.
4. I have many DTC's under driver and passenger door modules and seat modules, and head restraint modules. What do I need to do to clear these as all my seat, mirror, window, and door functions work fine? (at least they outwardly appear to).
5. Will the 40 pin B cables power the PTU alone, or do I need to continue using the A battery cable (to car battery) if not in the docking station?
6. My Jaguar is a US 2004 model, but it shows as a 2003 model in WDS. Is this correct?
Thanks.

Last edited by Red1bw; 06-04-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1bw
I just got a WDS (installed bigger hard drive, uploaded newest JAGUAR software, and no luck yet with expanding memory). The biggest problem I have is it linking / communicating with my car....but it does sometimes.
1. Is the B203 cable suppose to work on my car? I have a brand new B203 cable which I haven't had success with yet, but I have two beat up B259 cables which often work.
2. Are some of the pins longer than the rest in the B block / port of the PTU? Seven of the 40 pins are longer than the rest of the pins in my PTU. If fact they are twice as long. I'm not sure if they are suppose to be like that, if I should try to shove them back in with needle nose pliers, or if they are replacements / repairs.
3. It does not give me options to clear many of the DTC's. Do I need to reprogram an existing module to clear them. Example:
C1446 Stop lamp circuit fault (part of the ABS / DSCCM). I replaced my stop pedal switch recently to fix a problem....what do I need to do to clear this code.
4. I have many DTC's under driver and passenger door modules and seat modules, and head restraint modules. What do I need to do to clear these as all my seat, mirror, window, and door functions work fine? (at least they outwardly appear to).
5. Will the 40 pin B cables power the PTU alone, or do I need to continue using the A battery cable (to car battery) if not in the docking station?
6. My Jaguar is a US 2004 model, but it shows as a 2003 model in WDS. Is this correct?
Thanks.

The B-203 cable is right one for your Jag.

The uneven length pins in the top of the PTU is normal.

Go through those manuals. The codes can be cleared individually by highlighting them and touching 'Clear'. Or by module, or all at once by highlighting 'Complete Vehicle' at the top.

The A-204 battery cable will power the PTU if the battery is dead, but sometimes a failed battery will still keep the WDS from functioning. In that case you'll have to disconnect it entirely.

The year shown in WDS will sometimes show earlier like that. The X350 went on sale in the UK before it did in other markets.

Cheers,

Red1bw (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Default Still unable to clear many of the DTC's.

Thanks for the reply xjrguy. The only question I have still relates to clearing codes.
I have been successful at clearing many DTC codes (as when the erase button on the right of the screen is there I can clear them individually, by module, or by car) provided it is one of the DTC's that shows the eraser button on the right of the screen.
However, there are many DTC codes in which the erase button does not appear. These are the ones I am unable to clear. With this being the case does it mean I need to reprogram the whole module to clear those codes, or am I missing something. I've already been through the manuals and can't seem to clear many of the codes. Some example of the codes I can't clear are (DSCCM / ABS) C1446, (Driver's Door Module) B1402 B2182 B2336 B1234 B2323 B2326. There are plenty of others too....but everything works on my car. When there is no erase DTC button on the PTU to erase a specific DTC...I'm not sure where to go from here...unless this is related to me using the B259 cable. However, the B259 cable should work with all, allows me to read vehicle ID info and all the DTC's. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the reply xjrguy. The only question I have still relates to clearing codes.
I have been successful at clearing many DTC codes (as when the erase button on the right of the screen is there I can clear them individually, by module, or by car) provided it is one of the DTC's that shows the eraser button on the right of the screen.
However, there are many DTC codes in which the erase button does not appear. These are the ones I am unable to clear. With this being the case does it mean I need to reprogram the whole module to clear those codes, or am I missing something. I've already been through the manuals and can't seem to clear many of the codes. Some example of the codes I can't clear are (DSCCM / ABS) C1446, (Driver's Door Module) B1402 B2182 B2336 B1234 B2323 B2326. There are plenty of others too....but everything works on my car. When there is no erase DTC button on the PTU to erase a specific DTC...I'm not sure where to go from here...unless this is related to me using the B259 cable. However, the B259 cable should work with all, allows me to read vehicle ID info and all the DTC's. Thanks.
I'm beginning to think now would be a good time to check your VCATS label in the trunk, and compare the modules with all the codes part numbers to what is listed on VCATS. That business almost sounds like incorrect, or not properly configured modules installed.

Just a thought.......

Last edited by xjrguy; 06-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks. That will give me something else to look at over the next week.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 PM

When I enter the VIN for a later car (2003 S-Type eg.) and do not attach the OBD cable the WDS states that the "B280 cable should be connected. A B203 can be used if the B280 is not available".

I have both the B203 and B280 but the B280 will not work on the X300, X308 and 1997-2002 X100.

I do not have a B259 so I can't say if it is compatible.

bob gauff

Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Default XK VCATS label location???

Where is my VCATS label? I read in one post from someone that later models don't get the VCATS label...is this correct? Keep in mind my XKR is a US model 2004 (made in UK in 2003). There is no VCATS in the trunk - and it looks like there never was. Various Jaguar literature states for the XK that the VCATS is to be either under the spare or on the left side wall to the left of the spare. However, all this literature is from 2002 or many years earlier. Anyone know where the VCATS would be on a later model XK....or if this information can be obtained through either the WDS or Jaguar USA or a Jaguar Dealer? Thanks.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needs copies

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have Ford WDS

A6 (red)
B37, 40, 41, 42, 43 (blue)
C5 Discs #1 and #2 (black)

I also have A5 and C4 but they are superceded

I have Jaguar WDS

CD2 (GHOST Disc)
38, 42 (A and B) and 43

Let me know if anyone needs copies of any of these.

bob gauff

Old 06-16-2013, 07:35 AM

I have ngs dis can you help me with my wds need dis to reload new drive

Old 11-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks.

So what size hard drive did you install? Mine wds only has the original 3.2 gb which isn't large enough for the jag wds software.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mwise34
So what size hard drive did you install? Mine wds only has the original 3.2 gb which isn't large enough for the jag wds software.
Hi Michael,

Hunt around for a 6.4GB IDE drive, that's what both of my Jaguar PTU's came with. I didn't realize a Ford WDS came with one half that size. I know there have been some fellas that have successfully used an IDE solid state drive in a WDS, but I have never yet had to resort to that. My drives are holding up so far.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Have 2 Ford WDS units converted to Jaguar and I tried to install WDS ver. 38 on a 3.2 GB HDD. NO LUCK!!!!!!!

I would say that a 4.3 GB would be absolute Minimum HDD for Jaguar.

Make sure that you get ATA 33 drive with 8 GB max capacity.

bob gauff

Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 AM

I was successful loading the Jaguar software (the newest available for WDS) on a 4.3GB. I would have gone with larger, but nothing larger was available when I needed it (this is used stuff on ebay as you just can't buy this stuff new anymore).
I have also never been able to find additional memory that worked successfully for me (used the same specs as others, but after 3 or 4 different times installing it - it just freezes - so I gave up on additional memory install).
Lastly, my WDS battery went dead, but still works attaching it to a car. I did buy the individual batteries needed, but have never got around to actually soldering the new battery pack together with the old mini-circuit board in the original battery pack.
It's a slow tool (especially to initially load or reload if things lock up); but very powerful and can do much more than I need it to.

Last edited by Red1bw; 11-12-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 AM

I was successful loading the Jaguar software (the newest available for WDS) on a 4.3GB. I would have gone with larger, but nothing larger was available when I needed it (this is used stuff on ebay as you just can't buy this stuff new anymore).
I have also never been able to find additional memory that worked successfully for me (used the same specs as others, but after 3 or 4 different times installing it - it just freezes - so I gave up on additional memory install).
Lastly, my WDS battery went dead, but still works attaching it to a car. I did buy the individual batteries needed, but have never got around to actually soldering the new battery pack together with the old mini-circuit board in the original battery pack.
It's a slow tool (especially to initially load or reload if things lock up); but very powerful and can do much more than I need it to.
I think I am going to try the SDD Drive KINGSPEC 2.5" PATA IDE Solid State Hard Drive SSD 16GB restoresc referenced to in his post,and partition it to 5.7gb. I just finished building a new battery pack, and it seems to be firing up pretty good.

Quick Reply: Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station