General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

IDS, SDD the naked truth

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious about buying this software. At the moment my car is not broken so I do not need the diagnostic features. I saw that I can reprogram modules. What exactly can I do? Can I turn AUX input on in the radio? Can I program keys? Just wonder if it's worth it to purchase this.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The WDS software is everywhere on the internet but you need a Genrad 3500 WDS and a PTU along with certain cables.
IDS software (up to DVD 118.8) is the same basic system with a generic laptop but a ROTUNDA VCM is required for interface communication.
SDD (DVD 119 onward) will revert to Legacy IDS for early cars. You can use less expensive interface units but the software needs to be SDD125 or later.

What 'mystery car do you have? (I hate mystery cars!!)

bob

Old 12-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The WDS software is everywhere on the internet but you need a Genrad 3500 WDS and a PTU along with certain cables.
IDS software (up to DVD 118.8) is the same basic system with a generic laptop but a ROTUNDA VCM is required for interface communication.
SDD (DVD 119 onward) will revert to Legacy IDS for early cars. You can use less expensive interface units but the software needs to be SDD125 or later.

What 'mystery car do you have? (I hate mystery cars!!)

bob
2010 jaguar xk coupe

Old 12-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I would suggest SDD but you might read up on the pros/cons of clone interface units.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...rchase-209798/

You can search using terms like SDD for module configuration or mangoose SDD clone

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-cable-204913/

Happy research.

bob

Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, am sorry for butting in this thread.
So I have a Jaguar X Type, 2.0 petrol, sedan, X400 code, with navigation, automatic transmission box, touch screen. The car brings only dashes in the mileage display, and I have taken months trying to fix the problem.

I decided to purchase a mongoose cable with SDD V130 from British diagnostics. The problem is these guys are the worst in communication. They never respond to any email, whatsoeveR, it is like they just open their emails and delete without reading.They leave no contact whatsoever. Though I did research and figured it is managed by some gent working with Jaguar Landrover, in the UK.

Sorry for the blubber, my problem;
My SDD doesn't read out VIN automatically. But when I I insert it, then it reads the vehicle, and only reads the modules ont he SCP protocol, It doesnt read any module on the CAN Bus protocol. What am I doing wrong?> Kindly advise.

Regards

Old 04-09-2019, 04:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by dharry078
..... I decided to purchase a mongoose cable with SDD V130 from British diagnostics. The problem is these guys are the worst in communication. They never respond to any email, whatsoeveR, it is like they just open their emails and delete without reading.They leave no contact whatsoever. Though I did research and figured it is managed by some gent working with Jaguar Landrover, in the UK. .....
There have been several posts about British Diagnostics across our forums. None could exactly be described as ringing endorsements, most are lukewarm and several appear to have experienced the same issue as you - an efficient purchasing process but absolutely no technical support thereafter.

I've also read the suggestion it is run by an individual who may be an employee of JLR. The name is not registered with Companies House in the UK and is therefore likely to be an individual. I would have expected an employee of JLR to offer a better service and not to be selling Chinese clones of the Drew Tech Mongoose at inflated prices.

If British Diagnostics monitor the forum and care to respond either publicly in this thread or privately by eMail (jaguarforums@outlook.com), I will be more than happy to correct any misconceptions or inaccuracies.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
chris.schneider (05-22-2019), dharry078 (08-13-2019), motorcarman (04-09-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
There have been several posts about British Diagnostics across our forums. None could exactly be described as ringing endorsements, most are lukewarm and several appear to have experienced the same issue as you - an efficient purchasing process but absolutely no technical support thereafter.

I've also read the suggestion it is run by an individual who may be an employee of JLR. The name is not registered with Companies House in the UK and is therefore likely to be an individual. I would have expected an employee of JLR to offer a better service and not to be selling Chinese clones of the Drew Tech Mongoose at inflated prices.

If British Diagnostics monitor the forum and care to respond either publicly in this thread or privately by eMail (jaguarforums@outlook.com), I will be more than happy to correct any misconceptions or inaccuracies.

Graham
Well, I bought before seeing this and would be happy to share my experiences. I really am more concerned with having the RIGHT tool than having the cheap ones. It came to like $130 shipped US. If it's crap, I'll work to send it back.

I have 3 Jaguars, but will be selling my X308 in a few weeks, so I'll have my 2000 X100 XKR and 2007 X150 XKR. I'd be interested in what is needed to get a solid platform for both of these. Mostly for diagnostics, but things like module programming or keys and such would be much appreciated. I have one of those iCarsoft units and it does very minor diagnostic work, but still a nice add for the price of 1 hour of dealer labor, and paid for itself when I had an ABS system issue.

It appears the Drew Technologies Mongoose might be the way to go. It looks like they dropped it off their website? Is there an alternative?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:12 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had very good luck with the Flyobd JLR SDD II. I have run it for over 2 years and although I scared myself a few times, their tech support came through and they got it working perfectly. I am able to perform all applications including programming. Compared to all the options I have tried, I have always come back to this. I can run the most current versions (Right now I'm running 156.05)
It also is a lot cheaper than Autel 908P or elite.

The following users liked this post:
Deepstuff (03-22-2024)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Well, I bought before seeing this and would be happy to share my experiences. I really am more concerned with having the RIGHT tool than having the cheap ones. It came to like $130 shipped US. If it's crap, I'll work to send it back.
My experience is that they worked with me to make sure it worked, including sending me two other versions of IDS, however, as soon as I confirmed it was working, I never heard from them again.

I emailed them because my laptop crapped out and I didn't have a backup of the working IDS they sent me. I never got a response from them. I was able to download what I needed from other users here, but I could never get them to follow up.

Ultimately it worked for a few months, maybe a year and then crapped out. Would make the connection, but could never read any of the modules. It looked like it functioned, but it couldn't pull any useful codes.

80sRule (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
My experience is that they worked with me to make sure it worked, including sending me two other versions of IDS, however, as soon as I confirmed it was working, I never heard from them again.

I emailed them because my laptop crapped out and I didn't have a backup of the working IDS they sent me. I never got a response from them. I was able to download what I needed from other users here, but I could never get them to follow up.

Ultimately it worked for a few months, maybe a year and then crapped out. Would make the connection, but could never read any of the modules. It looked like it functioned, but it couldn't pull any useful codes.
Thank you for this feedback! I will definitely make sure I have a good physical backup (archival DVD) and see what my luck is. Long term, I think I want a real Mongoose, but it doesn't appear to be on Drew Tech's website anymore.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I actually didn't buy a Mercedes GLK about 5 years ago because I saw one of Scotty's videos where he was bashing Mercedes. But now that I've seen this, I've lost respect for him. I bought a 2003 XK8 with 80,000 miles on it in 2010 I drove it clear across the country and back. I put 40,000 miles on it in three years. I had a few minor issues, but it never left me stranded.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I've had SDD (V 1.39) for a couple years or so now, and used it effectively for several things (rear camera, battery reset, other CCF things) but today I just for grins tried to do a Diagnostic....
And I got a couple screens into it and then THIS SCREEN popped up. Either option I choose goes to a different screen for a couple seconds (same one for both) then this same --Please Select-- screen comes up. Ad-Infinitum.
So, what am I doing wrong, or what's wrong with my SDD???

Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was understanding that versions of sdd after v138 would not do certain things without a subscription to topix, I could be wrong though

Old 06-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Was this on the car you have used the SDD on before or a new one, I got this on v156 when I hadn't downloaded any ASBUILT files. It also should have asked you if the CCF had the car config info if it didn't recognise the car. You could also try deleting any previous sessions and starting again that has worked for me as well.

Cee Jay (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I have versions 139 and 145 on different laptops both dedicated with no wifi connection.

I use freeze time on both. Neither require a subscription.

I have used it on off over the years, with a genuine mangoose cable as the original clone went Kaput.

The only programming I have done is with height calibration and I used a backup battery supply as it took quite a while. Quite a painstaking process.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re my 2002 XK8

I would appreciate your opinion. I took my 2002 XK8 to Firestone for an oil change. It was running perfectly. The manager called me and suggested I clean my fuel injectors. I love my baby so I said ok. I picked the car up and drove it home. When I went to start it again, it would not start. I had to have it towed back to Firestone. After a day of looking at it, they determined the fuel pump died. I said the stuff they put in my gas tank, or the procedure they followed must have damaged the pump. They are saying its just a coincidence. Please give me your thoughts. TY

Old 06-15-2019, 06:23 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Good Year service shops were consistently recommending services I didn’t need (or had recently, they just didn’t know it), so I stopped using chain garages for a long time now. They’re (mostly) all the same.

its an expensive lesson.

If something they did by cleaning the injectors (which should be done off the car, not by adding something to the fuel....you can do that yourself) destroyed your fuel pump....it might have been close to dying anyways. I don’t think anything they did could have ruined a perfectly good fuel pump. It could just have accelerated its demise, which may have helped you from being stranded.

The question is, what happens if they replace the fuel pump and you still have issues....they’re diagnosis might be wrong.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flcat
I would appreciate your opinion. I took my 2002 XK8 to Firestone for an oil change. It was running perfectly. The manager called me and suggested I clean my fuel injectors. I love my baby so I said ok. I picked the car up and drove it home. When I went to start it again, it would not start. I had to have it towed back to Firestone. After a day of looking at it, they determined the fuel pump died. I said the stuff they put in my gas tank, or the procedure they followed must have damaged the pump. They are saying its just a coincidence. Please give me your thoughts. TY
Might wanna post this in the proper thread because this one has nothing to do with fuel systems.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've probably borked 5 amps now. I don't seem to be able to get SDD to recognize the surround sound amp for the XF 2012. I have the DX23-19C164-BA, however when ever I tried updating the amp module in SDD, I then get no sound out of the amp. The car has been set to recognize the surround sound with speakers, but I think the amp was programmed for the F-Type and I don't seem to be able to get it to program for the XF for all channels. Can anyone help here? I'd be willing to send you the amp to program if you have the 2010-2012 XF with B&W Surround.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bowers & Wilkins

When I had similar problems I got a lot of help from Cambo we had configured everything correctly and we had nothing no screen or anything. I had initially put in the wrong level of audio system which may not have helped but in the end Cambo's other suggestion was a complete vehicle reset. Disconnect the battery leave the car a while to fully discharge then reconnect it's like doing a cold boot on a computer. The car never actually powers off and some major changes need that to happen. That worked for us worth a try if all your settings are correct, maybe worth listing them out as they are entered in SDD just in case someone else spots something that's been missed.

Quick Reply: IDS, SDD the naked truth