General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

IDS, SDD the naked truth

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,172 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If you don't have a subscription, why would you want to connect to the internet?
Edit: All is well - 4th time a charm I guess. I was able to logon to version 131.6. Thank you

Last edited by Sean W; 12-20-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:44 PM
Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 find

All - USA:
This is not the only option for running IDS/SDD, but for ideas, this is what I used:

I have a local PC shop and they have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 refurbished, carries a 6 month warranty, 500G hard drive, Windows10. They had two, I bought one a while back to Run a Virtual IDS/SDD using an OEM Rotunda VCM.

The Laptop was the cheapest part of the purchase with a genuine Panasonic Toughbook ac/adapter power supply was ~$175 US plus tax. Mine had an intermittent USB port and another non-functioning issue, they fixed in a couple of days. I note they have a sale 10%off, and when I bought mine, they gave me some additional discounts just for asking.
Panasonic Toughbook 13" touch screen, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HDD - Action Computers (actionpc.com)
The thing I like about these Toughbooks is I have no problems using it in the garage on the workbench - hot/cold/frozen, don't worry about it being in the trunk (boot) or getting broken, and I I just add a 24" Flatpanel TV/monitor and USB Keyboard and mouse to the workbench and run VMware or Virtualbox and v 125 or v130 IDS/SDD.

Of course you also need a 30 amp linear or switching power supply set for 13.8VDC - adjustable if possible.

Like I said, there are many other workable PC options, this setup works for me.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by StagByTriumph
All - USA:
This is not the only option for running IDS/SDD, but for ideas, this is what I used:

I have a local PC shop and they have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 refurbished, carries a 6 month warranty, 500G hard drive, Windows10. They had two, I bought one a while back to Run a Virtual IDS/SDD using an OEM Rotunda VCM.

The Laptop was the cheapest part of the purchase with a genuine Panasonic Toughbook ac/adapter power supply was ~$175 US plus tax. Mine had an intermittent USB port and another non-functioning issue, they fixed in a couple of days. I note they have a sale 10%off, and when I bought mine, they gave me some additional discounts just for asking.
Panasonic Toughbook 13" touch screen, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HDD - Action Computers (actionpc.com)
The thing I like about these Toughbooks is I have no problems using it in the garage on the workbench - hot/cold/frozen, don't worry about it being in the trunk (boot) or getting broken, and I I just add a 24" Flatpanel TV/monitor and USB Keyboard and mouse to the workbench and run VMware or Virtualbox and v 125 or v130 IDS/SDD.

Of course you also need a 30 amp linear or switching power supply set for 13.8VDC - adjustable if possible.

Like I said, there are many other workable PC options, this setup works for me.
I’m not so good at figuring out what I need for a power supply, but would this work?

Anbull SMPS 110V AC to 12V DC Converter Power Supply Adapter Switch Transformer Max 50A 600W (New Version)
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-29-2021, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Wrong in several ways, especially the voltage.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Kind of hard to say but the car needs at least 12.5 VDC or SDD will shut down and/or throw errors. When I am running my DC power supply the car is usually at 13.4 VDC. My DC power supply amperage rating is measured at 13.4 VDC which seems a pretty common way to rate them. The other thing is the power supply needs to be low ripple and while they call it a "safe and stable" power supply they publish no ratings at all for it.

Before I would buy that unit I would see if you can get a real spec sheet with actual measured performance. It might be OK but I don't think so or they would have had a ripple spec published. This is very important for SDD but not important for running 12 VDC car accessories (Amps, Colored lights that kind of stuff) which I think is it's main purpose.

I run an IOTA DLS-55. It's expensive new but I found a used one with the all the wires cut off for a little over $100 on EBay. Here is the listing with full specs;
IOTA DLS-55 IOTA DLS-55

Note; Here is the ripple rating - RIPPLE AND NOISE : <50MVRMS

Attached is Jaguar's recommended power supply read all the details as they are important!
They say you need 13.0-13.5 VDC with the key on and the engine off. DO NOT proceed unless you can supply this!
It is also a 55 Amp rated unit.

It's just shocking how much these cars can draw at rest and while SDD is operating. I regularly see 30 ADC consumption from the power supply while using SDD.

The laptop you use is WAY less important than having the correct power supply! This is the major fail for us home guys and I started out the same way using my 75A battery charger. You can use just about any laptop and I have. Read about what's needed because the worst that can happen is to have some kind of power glitch either in your car power supply or in the laptop during operation. So I ALWAYS run the laptop plugged into an AC outlet. Be sure and shut off ALL power saving crap on the laptop too. The one that will bite you is the USB ports shutting down if not being used to save power. Set that option to never.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SDD Power Supply Requirements.pdf (132.2 KB, 132 views)
The following users liked this post:
Oxidizer2k (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:19 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Thank you for that info!

Old 12-31-2021, 06:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I use an MST-80+ and when programming you an watch the current increasing it easily reaches 45amps best investment for all vehicles, Pathfinder is not as critical but errors can still happen when the voltage drops. At a push I have used another car with Jump leads and just left it running the whole time but it's not ideal.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (01-01-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 06:40 PM
Received 570 Likes on 294 Posts

I built a power supply along the lines of this post.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2335616
and
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2428970

Gives 75 amps at 13.5Vdc clean regulated. $30 for the unit, another $20 for the collorary parts. The BMW video gives the part numbers for the HP Supply used in the build

Last edited by panthera999; 01-02-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't get access to Topix. Can someone run my VIN and see if the cabling for DAB/SAT is installed?

Old 08-10-2023, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mongoose for pre SDD time Jaguar S-type

Greetings,

Writing here to help with IDS/SDD somebody if needed, because I myself did not found clear answer for this one. Hope writing in correct section. So I have both Jaguar S-type 3.0 V6 year 2000. I have in my computer installed JLR SDD v131 and also on partitioned drive IDS 118.5. I bought mongoose clone as a cable, because I couldn't find any VCM standard tool and also because I have newer Jaguar STR. So where it starts interesting... I tried my luck to plug mongoose in my old 2000 jaguar, which supposed to understand only VCM tools, but it is not correct. As far as I researched I understood that SDD understands J2345 standard, but IDS itself not. So launching IDS through SDD v131 (just typing my old Vin) IDS understands mongoose cable same as VCM, what I researched it fully reads errors, erases them, can make many tests and actuators and even reprogram ABS, I tried this with all risk possible to reprogram old Jaguar S-type 2000, ABS via clone mongoose and it worked perfectly (cruise control did not worked because of not programmed ABS). So basically what I can tell if you have older Jaguar which don't work with SDD, it can be reached with IDS integrated in SDD, at least for basic code reading as will not recommend anything more as it is by your own risk in my case it was worth it. (oh and yes IDS 118.5 don't communicate with mongoose!)

Old 09-29-2023, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Found this bit of advice in a Jaguar document on SDD Best Practices and thought it would be useful to others?
I had never heard of anyone disconnecting modules before starting a session either?

When replacing modules in SDD the instructions are always to leave the original in place and after reading the car proceed to the module replacement. BUT what if the module is dead or for some other reason can't communicate?

Not sure how easy it would be to disconnect and reconnect especially seeing how hard some of these modules are to get to?
But it seems you can game or trick SDD this way by connecting things at the last minute before programming starts.