General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TCM reflash question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default TCM reflash question

I've seen lots written about reflashing the TCM on ZF6HP26 transmissions, but it's still unclear to me what this actually entails. Does it actually update the firmware in the transmission to something newer or does it reset it to an initial learning stage again?

Old 07-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by electechbw
I've seen lots written about reflashing the TCM on ZF6HP26 transmissions, but it's still unclear to me what this actually entails. Does it actually update the firmware in the transmission to something newer or does it reset it to an initial learning stage again?
Flash = change software.

The learned values can also be cleared.

BTW you're asking in the wrong forum.

The following users liked this post:
electechbw (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Flash = change software.

The learned values can also be cleared.

BTW you're asking in the wrong forum.
Thanks. I posted it here because it's not really a question specific to X350 since it affects S-types (and maybe more) as well. Where should I have posted it?

Last edited by electechbw; 07-19-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Apparently the last TCM software update for the early cars is IDS DVD; software first available on IDS DVS109 Patch File 6.

Obviously all later IDS/SDD versions have this software.

I usually start by 'Clearing TCM Adaptations' and if the ECM and TCM software is older or out of date, the IDS/SDD will Warn/Advise that it wants to configure any and all modules that it deems necessary. It will then ask "DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?".

I have posted many TSBs and other Jaguar advisories to the forum and all of this should also be on Gus's site.

bob

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
electechbw (07-20-2017), guy (03-03-2020)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:04 AM

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate it!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

A tcm reflash does both. You can clear adaptation seperatly but now a tcm reflash updates software to latest and clears adaptations. I have said this so many times over the years. Get a reflash, do a drain and fill every 60k. Many issues that we "used to" replaced transmissions for are now actually fixed with a reflash. "fact"
go to a tranny shop and they sell and rebuild and most dont even have the ability to flash software. Their motive is money. Make a couple hundered, or make a few $1000.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
electechbw (07-20-2017), guy (03-04-2020), motorcarman (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by electechbw
Thanks. I posted it here because it's not really a question specific to X350 since it affects S-types (and maybe more) as well. Where should I have posted it?
As the question is relevant to a number of models fitted with the same transmission, posting in General Tech Help was a reasonable choice.

We try to keep General Tech Help for wide ranging questions and regularly move model-specific posts to the appropriate model forum. In this instance, I'll leave the thread here.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Brutal (07-20-2017), electechbw (07-20-2017), motorcarman (07-20-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi, I'm late to this party but I'll chime in. I bought my daughter an alfa mito which has DCT. The transmission was dreadful especially if you slow down to (say) 10kph then go to take off, like coming to an intersection. The car would feel like it flooded and would not rev and take maybe 3 to 5 seconds before the revs would pick up. Some people thought it was turbo lag but there is no lag at launch, my view was it was being left in second or third gear and lugging. Apparently the issue is a common "characteristic" of the car in the auto. It was downright dangerous especially where you pulled into traffic and essentially lost power.

Anyway I was put on to the TCM autoflash by a user on the alfa forum. TCM were awesome to deal with, very prompt responses and I had the drive (like a big USB) within about 2 days, coming from Ireland to Australia. It came with easy instructions for someone even as technically challenged as I am to do it. So you plug it in to the diagnostic port and let it weave its magic for a half hour then drive the car for about an hour in all different modes to let it learn.

The difference was quite significant. The car is hugely better to drive, it was noticeable to me and my wife and daughter (she is learning in the car). It has taken the danger out of intersections though I wouldnt say it is 100% cured, more like 70% - i.e. we get the lugging effect far less, and when it happens it is over a lot quicker and it is more of an occasional inconvenience than a frequent panic.

So thumbs up from me.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:25 AM
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Confusion over TCM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi, I'm late to this party but I'll chime in. I bought my daughter an alfa mito which has DCT. The transmission was dreadful especially if you slow down to (say) 10kph then go to take off, like coming to an intersection. The car would feel like it flooded and would not rev and take maybe 3 to 5 seconds before the revs would pick up. Some people thought it was turbo lag but there is no lag at launch, my view was it was being left in second or third gear and lugging. Apparently the issue is a common "characteristic" of the car in the auto. It was downright dangerous especially where you pulled into traffic and essentially lost power.

Anyway I was put on to the TCM autoflash by a user on the alfa forum. TCM were awesome to deal with, very prompt responses and I had the drive (like a big USB) within about 2 days, coming from Ireland to Australia. It came with easy instructions for someone even as technically challenged as I am to do it. So you plug it in to the diagnostic port and let it weave its magic for a half hour then drive the car for about an hour in all different modes to let it learn.

The difference was quite significant. The car is hugely better to drive, it was noticeable to me and my wife and daughter (she is learning in the car). It has taken the danger out of intersections though I wouldnt say it is 100% cured, more like 70% - i.e. we get the lugging effect far less, and when it happens it is over a lot quicker and it is more of an occasional inconvenience than a frequent panic.

So thumbs up from me.
I have a lurch prone 2008 stype 3.0 w ZF6HP26 tranny. Which I THOUGHT was fixed by an oil n filter change followed by a TCM (transmission control module) software update / flash / adaptations reset as covered in the TSB quoted above ( which only applies to 2005). Anyway then BruseTheQuail is also referring to some company or outfit in Australia also known as TCM who apparently sells a magic usb drive via overnight mail from down under the plugs in ( to OBDApp or ???) that magically performs all the same tasks as the TSB in an hour or so then you drive it for an hour or so and all is fixed with your transmission control module?!?!

did I get that all wrong. If it’s true who do I make the check out to.

i did the oil / pan / filter change but British Motors of San Francisco told me “we don’t do the tcm flash and adaptations procedure on those old cars anymore”. The oil change fixed 50% of my lurch and I was hoping the tcm procedure from the dealer would fix the other 50%.

any clarification or suggestions would be appreciated

Old 03-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The TCM 'learns' the way the car drives. Sometimes it learns bad habits (or low fluid/worn components) and needs to have the 'adaptations' cleared.

I had a customer with a 2003 Stype pan leak so the fluid was low and it shifted poorly.
She went to several shops (and the dealer) and everyone wanted to replace the gearbox.

I lifted that car in the air and saw the gearbox leak so I figured it might be low. (IT WAS)

I fitted a new pan, filled it with LifeGaurd6 and drove it. It shifted like 'CRAP'.

I cleared adaptations and all was well.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:24 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The TCM 'learns' the way the car drives. Sometimes it learns bad habits (or low fluid/worn components) and needs to have the 'adaptations' cleared.

I had a customer with a 2003 Stype pan leak so the fluid was low and it shifted poorly.
She went to several shops (and the dealer) and everyone wanted to replace the gearbox.

I lifted that car in the air and saw the gearbox leak so I figured it might be low. (IT WAS)

I fitted a new pan, filled it with LifeGaurd6 and drove it. It shifted like 'CRAP'.

I cleared adaptations and all was well.
+1 @motorcarman.

in fact this was my personal experience as well. As was stated by @Brutal, his procedure is exactly what I do.