General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Use of borescopes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Use of borescopes

Does anyone have any experience in using borescopes to inspect engine cavities, etc? Is it worth the while? I'm looking into purchasing a 'medium' use one; I'm not a pro and would not like to spend huge sums for one.

Original intention is to use it to inspect the interior of the engine-transmission bell housing of a 2008 XKR for an oil leak, but I suppose I can find lots of other uses for it.

Are their any opinions on their usability and possibly any recommended brands/prices?

Cheers.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

ejjbee, for what you are looking at doing, I would say that you would be better off renting a unit when you need it. The boroscopes can get expensive. Specifically, if you are looking at one, you definitely want one with a light on the end of the boroscope. This makes a world of a difference. Also, it is beneficial to have one that allows remote bending of the end of the probe.

I have used a lot of boroscopes for work when looking at safety penetrations for electrical wiring. As for brand A over Brand B, the big thing is to look at the resolution of the camera and the size of the screen. If you are only using say a 320x240 camera, then a 3" screen is more than adequate and going with a higher resolution camera is not going to benefit you. It is all in what you are willing to spend. Also, a color camera is going to cost more, but is also better in definition and being able to see what you want.

The following users liked this post:
ejjbee (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks Thermo. Unfortunately I don't think I would be find one available for rent where I live, so I'm looking at getting hold of a 'lower' end one, rather than the professional ones. I've seen the likes of Snapon ones which costs a few 00's rather than thousands. I would agree that colour is definitely a must, plus having at least a 90degree mirror, plus illumination as well as the resolution. I suspect the 'articulated' ones (which would have the facility to rotate the camera tip) would be way too expensive to consider. I think I would set a budget of some US$300-400.

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 674 Posts

I was looking at the ones sold at Lowes and some in online catalogs and on most of the low end camera types, the head is too large to go in a spark plug hole. They're really designed for an electrician to drill a 3/4" hole in a wall. If you look online, they do sell "old-fashioned" borescopes with just an eyepiece that have much smaller tubes designed for engine inspection in the same price range. I've never used one but I hope to have one in my toolbox someday.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM

True pdupler; from what I can see on the net, I would possible look at the following specs:

1 - probe thickness: around 5mm
2 - semi rigid probe
3 - length: 1m
4 - probe illumination (preferably UV for leak detection)
5 - camera resolution: at least 70k pixels (possibly more), colour
6 - video capability and still capture
7 - ability to store on removable memory
8 - 90degree mirror on probe
9 - wide angle: more than 50degrees?
10 - good focussing depth
11 - variable illumination
12 - 7cms colour display

Brands which are showing up (though I have no experience of, of course) are Sealey, Snap-on, Fibrescope, Draper, Extech ... still need to do some evaluation though but if any of you have any views/comments on the above and brands, do let me know.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by ejjbee
Does anyone have any experience in using borescopes to inspect engine cavities, etc? Is it worth the while? I'm looking into purchasing a 'medium' use one; I'm not a pro and would not like to spend huge sums for one.

Original intention is to use it to inspect the interior of the engine-transmission bell housing of a 2008 XKR for an oil leak, but I suppose I can find lots of other uses for it.

Are their any opinions on their usability and possibly any recommended brands/prices?

Cheers.
I got one from a local store for around £60 that's able to inspect inside cylinders for valve damage. It's also confirmed a broken differential....

If you look on *bay there's lots to choose from starting very cheap to very expensive.

Your leak is 99% a rear main oil seal failure.

The following users liked this post:
ejjbee (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks Sean; I'm looking at ebay in fact; thanks for the diagnosis as well, a good (is there any such one in this circumstance ) chance is that it's a rear main seal.

Have you ever come across a failed seal between the structural sump/bedplate/cylinder block or worst still a fracture in that part of the engine? I'm looking at the very very worst, true, but that's the way I am

Cheers.