MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1959 MK2 3.8 Restoration

 
  #161  
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 278
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
Good news & good luck! I'm suddenly experiencing a slightly sticky throttle & do you think I can find where it's binding SMH!
When I just took mine apart I found a couple of issues with the throttle, firstly where it pivots on the inlet manifold was sticking so I cleaned it up and gave it a good dolop of grease. The second is where the carb linkage joins the throttle linkage (the ball joint which you screw up from the underside, this was slightly at an angle so I turned it round and it was much smoother.
 
The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (01-12-2019)
  #162  
Old 01-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Thanks for the tip!
 
  #163  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bath UK
Posts: 1,643
Received 424 Likes on 355 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
Good news & good luck! I'm suddenly experiencing a slightly sticky throttle & do you think I can find where it's binding SMH!
Take your foot off the gas pedal Glyn !!!

Glad it's back together hopefully no re-occurence.
 
  #164  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TilleyJon View Post
Take your foot off the gas pedal Glyn !!!
LOL! If only it were that simple. I want it to reliably return to slow idle with new standard return springs. My restoration guy had fitted a piggy back spring to restrict throttle movement while transport company was moving the car from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Since removing that I have a slight issue.
 
  #165  
Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bath UK
Posts: 1,643
Received 424 Likes on 355 Posts
Default

Stupid question, have you tried slackening off the throttle connection to the carb spindle to check if the return issue lies before or after that point ?

You can rotate the lever for the connection of the spindle return spring to increase the pressure of the stock spring on the linkage at that point.

I have also seen more than one connection point for the return spring bracket that fixes at the oil filter, depending on that position also increases/decreases spring pressure. (which bolt the spring bracket fits on).
 
The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (01-13-2019)
  #166  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:31 AM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

With what I will call the pedal linkage disconnected the carbs settle perfectly ~ so no binding butterflies or anything like that. That said the pedal linkage on it's own does not seem bad but obviously has too much drag. The only answer to me is to systematically start at the pedal & ensure each point is free & lubricated. I will also try increasing spring tension as well so thanks for that reminder that I'd overlooked. I'm sure Jaguar selected return spring tension/rate carefully to prevent undue wear on the carb spindles. We have been sparse with any external lubrication on the car which I am steadily rectifying due to my guy's workshop being rather dusty. Inside doors etc. all mechanisms are plastered with long life polyurea synthetic grease.

My spanner man (who is now 1300Km away) says just drive the car ~ it will loosen up with use. That aint good enough for me and I need to get the car through roadworthy.
 
  #167  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 278
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
With what I will call the pedal linkage disconnected the carbs settle perfectly ~ so no binding butterflies or anything like that. That said the pedal linkage on it's own does not seem bad but obviously has too much drag. The only answer to me is to systematically start at the pedal & ensure each point is free & lubricated. I will also try increasing spring tension as well so thanks for that reminder that I'd overlooked. I'm sure Jaguar selected return spring tension/rate carefully to prevent undue wear on the carb spindles. We have been sparse with any external lubrication on the car which I am steadily rectifying due to my guy's workshop being rather dusty. Inside doors etc. all mechanisms are plastered with long life polyurea synthetic grease.

My spanner man (who is now 1300Km away) says just drive the car ~ it will loosen up with use. That aint good enough for me and I need to get the car through roadworthy.
Do you have both throttle return springs fitted? There should be one from the front carb to a bracket bolted to the bottom of the front carb (a Y shaped bracket) and then the one from the level between the two carbs down to the oil filter housing?
 
  #168  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bath UK
Posts: 1,643
Received 424 Likes on 355 Posts
Default

Sorry Homer, hijacked your thread a little on this subject. Glyn, you will be dead right re too much spring tension, the two springs do counteract each other in that respect to a point as one acts on the throttle linkage directly and the one on the spindle is opposing the force from the throttle linkage, obviously you would want minimum required tension to zero the linkage. Teaching Granny to suck eggs here of course Glyn.

The pedal linkage spring can be over tensioned a fair bit as the stop and fulcrum should not pass the tension through to the spindle. As you say if you go through the linkage ensuring all is lubricated and free then apply minimum spring force to ensure proper return, if you need any advice on the best lubrication, I do know a good tribologist !

Does anyone here know exactly which bolt on the oil filter that the return spring bracket should attach to, I have not found a definitive answer to this as yet.
 
  #169  
Old 01-13-2019, 05:08 PM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Homersimpson View Post
Do you have both throttle return springs fitted? There should be one from the front carb to a bracket bolted to the bottom of the front carb (a Y shaped bracket) and then the one from the level between the two carbs down to the oil filter housing?
Yes ~ both springs are fitted & new.
 
  #170  
Old 01-13-2019, 05:57 PM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TilleyJon View Post
Sorry Homer, hijacked your thread a little on this subject. Glyn, you will be dead right re too much spring tension, the two springs do counteract each other in that respect to a point as one acts on the throttle linkage directly and the one on the spindle is opposing the force from the throttle linkage, obviously you would want minimum required tension to zero the linkage. Teaching Granny to suck eggs here of course Glyn.

The pedal linkage spring can be over tensioned a fair bit as the stop and fulcrum should not pass the tension through to the spindle. As you say if you go through the linkage ensuring all is lubricated and free then apply minimum spring force to ensure proper return, if you need any advice on the best lubrication, I do know a good tribologist !

Does anyone here know exactly which bolt on the oil filter that the return spring bracket should attach to, I have not found a definitive answer to this as yet.

This is where we have the long spring bracket mounted to the oil filter housing at present (rusty old float spring at that time ~ now new & somewhat tensioned.) I guess the bracket could be moved to increase tension.





 
  #171  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bath UK
Posts: 1,643
Received 424 Likes on 355 Posts
Default

Mine is connected lower, there were 2 brackets for the float bowl overflow tubes on the top 2 bolts and I forgot where the bracket was mounted for the spring,

The spring on yours appears to have very little tension in the picture as it looks quite closed, but that could be my eyesight.


 
  #172  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 AM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

That pic was before the engine was finished and fitted. It now has a single bracket holding the 2 drain tubes which I understood to be original. I think I should move the bracket to a lower bolt. These springs are pretty lightweight. The manuals are unclear as to which bolt the bracket goes on. The old spring was slack. Not your eyesight.


 

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-14-2019 at 01:16 AM.
  #173  
Old 01-14-2019, 01:30 AM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

When I look back at old engines in my archive there are many variations on this theme.




 
  #174  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bath UK
Posts: 1,643
Received 424 Likes on 355 Posts
Default

That's one position I have not seen before !
 
  #175  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TilleyJon View Post
That's one position I have not seen before !
Checked the S Type parts manual tonight to see if I had screwed up. Spring bracket shown in my own engine pic above is correct for S Type & Siamesed drain pipes through one clip also correct. I guess running changes over time. Of course they don't show on which bolt each is mounted.
 
  #176  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 AM
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 515
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Just to report back & not further mess up Homer's thread. Shortened long spring slightly instead of moving bracket. Adjusted fulcrum lever clamp on butterfly shaft, found a split pin not turned back properly catching, adjusted link rod, did a rough jet setting, balance & idle mixture. Checked timing. Lubricated everything. Result ~ nice stable idle at 500RPM. Slowly grasping SU constant depression carbs after being a twin sidedraught Weber & Dellorto man. (Rods & pistons weight equalised, crank & flywheel with clutch balanced.) Proper tune up will take place once car is registered & on the road officially.

Thanks Homer & TJ.
 
The following users liked this post:
TilleyJon (01-17-2019)
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
sanchez
XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III
11
04-01-2016 10:55 AM
Busa
General Tech Help
17
04-01-2016 01:13 AM
balfadiff
MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler
4
03-31-2016 07:20 AM
adpock
Off Topic
1
03-29-2016 08:29 AM
DanielSWE
XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 )
3
03-28-2016 06:22 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1959 MK2 3.8 Restoration


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: