New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

2000 XJ8 Stalling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XJ8 Stalling Problem

Hello, I am a new member of Jaguar Forums. I reside in Montreal, Canada. I am truly hoping one of the other members can help me with the problem or should I say problems I have been having with my 2000 Jaguar XJ8 recently.

I purchased my car about 2 years ago used. The body was in exceptional shape and the inside really clean. My Jaguar currently has about 110,000 miles on the odometer. Shortly after I purchased the car a problem developed where I would get in and try and start the car. I would turn the key and for a split second the tachometer would jump to about 500RPM and then return to 0 and I would get nothing, no sound whatsoever when trying to crank it.

The digital readout would cycle through all of the messages, ie: Gearbox Fault, ASC Not Available, Trac Not Available etc... and it would not start.

Often I would try it again and again and perhaps after 15 minutes or so it would just start like nothing was ever wrong. Also,I began having another issue around the same time with the non starting, I would be driving along and suddenly without warning the car would make a sudden bucking motion just once with a sound that sounded like a backfire and the car would just stall out.

I have always managed to get it going again from the side of the road but it definitely rattles ones nerves being stuck on the breakdown lanes on busy highways. I should mention I had started to notice a rather serious vibration coming from the engine at about 40MPH.

I thought after reading various postings on this site it might be the Crank Position Sensor. I changed the CPS and that did seem to cure the vibrations however, the stalling out issue which hasn't happened in a while returned yesterday with the car stalling out twice in the space of about 1000 meters.

I was accelerating to get onto the highway when suddenly the car sputtered and stalled out. I tried to start her again and at first got nothing, no noise like it was trying to start, nothing. Waited about 2 minutes and tried again, this time it sounded like it was going to start, it would crank but not catch.

I tried for about 7-8 seconds and stopped and waited about 10 seconds and tried again and this time the car caught and she started. I put it in Drive and began to accelerate to merge onto the highway as i was getting closer to the highway I gave it more gas to get up to Highway speed when the car did it again, it made a jerking/ bucking motion once and cut out. Again, did the same as above, first time it wouldn't catch, waited 10 seconds and it caught. I immediately exited the highway and took a secondary road home just in case the car acted up again but surprisingly at a lower speed on this secondary road without gasing the car too hard she was fine the rest of the way home.

My question is: I am thinking the Throttle Body could perhaps use a good cleaning? Is it necessary to change the TPS as well? I'm hoping that perhaps just a good cleaning of the Throttle Body and cleaning the contact pins on the TPS might do the trick. Anyhow, that is just my theory, perhaps other members might have had a similar experience. I would really appreciate any advice and a hand in the right direction to solving this extremely annoying problem.

Other than that the car when it is running runs great. Thanks

Last edited by JimC64; 09-02-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: PLEASE CREATE LINE BREAKS!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum cb68,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar forums. I've copied your post to X308 section for advice from model experts. Here's the direct link to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblem-101772/

For the main X308 section, follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/ for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Canada Region section by following this link Canada - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your country.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
cb68 (09-03-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

welcome to the forum- you will find plenty of info and support for your Jag. As Graham posted - the links above will guide you along your Jag journey - this is by far the best tool in an owners tool box. Enjoy

cb68 (09-03-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to the forum cb68,

Good to have you with us.
Can suggest some line breaks? Otherwise people won't read you posts.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

cb68 (09-03-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the search
facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.

Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

See you in the forums....

cb68 (09-03-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

cb68 (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Hi-

Welcome from a fellow Canadian and former Montrealer (actually South Shore). I see you're in good hands with Gus and others from the technical point of view and Graham has given you the link to our dedicated regional section.

Please stop by once a while and be sure to let us know of any events in the area!

Mike

Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Hi Mike and Thanks for your welcome message, ( I'm actually a West Islander) in Montreal. Hopefully it won't be too long and I can get this annoying non starting and stalling problem fixed.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM

My XJ 8 had the same issue, turned out to be the fuel pump. The fuel pump is in the fuel tank so it can be costly to replace. My car has run great since replacing the pump.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by mike schubert
My XJ 8 had the same issue, turned out to be the fuel pump. The fuel pump is in the fuel tank so it can be costly to replace. My car has run great since replacing the pump.
Welcome to the forum Mike,

Please start a New Thread with you own Intro and tell us something about yourself and your vehicle.

Graham

Old 09-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Hi Mike;
That's what my mechanic suspected too. He thought the fuel pump may be faulty. Did yours have intermitent problems before it finally failed? Also, would you recall how much it cost to change the pump? I think labour wise my mechanic said about 3-4 hours. Does that sound about right? Thanks

Chris