New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I'm finally a Jag XJR owner!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm finally a Jag XJR owner!!

Hi all, it's great to be here! A little about myself. I'm a 42 yr old single dad from Nashville, was a pro guitarist for many years, but these days I just buy and sell vintage guitars and related gear to support my son and myself. I enjoy what I do so it never seems like work. I have 3 vehicles, a raggedy little purple 96 Nissan p/u, a sturdy ol' 94 Isuzu Trooper with nearly 300K on the clock, and my new baby, a 99 XJR in black on black.

Back in 1995 a good buddy of mine got a record deal, and his band charted 2 top 10 singles on the C&W charts. He spent his first mailbox money on a brand new red 96 XJR. After he let me have a turn at the wheel, I decided: "someday I WILL have one of these!" When the V8 XJR came out it only made me want one even more. So, here I am years later and I finally have purchased one!

The car is black on black and has had 3 owners. I bought it from a fellow in Chicago, off of ebay, got it for 3900 bucks. Had sold a couple old guitars that I no longer used to pay for it. I don't miss the guitars at all. It's a very clean always garaged 99 model with 125K miles and very complete and up to date service records. It has a few little things that need fixed, just minor stuff, but overall it's a great running car. I flew into Chi-town, picked it up and headed back to Nashville. Made it all the way from Chicago to Louisville on 1 tank of premium (running 75-80 most the way). It's a dream come true to finally have a car that I've wanted so long, even though my finances meant searching for a bargain and settling for one with some miles on it.

The only bummer was: As I turned onto the highway home (17 miles from the house) my CHECK ENGINE light lit up. I can't find anything obvious wrong, and it exhibits no problems, so maybe someone could give me advice, as I'm new to Jags. I don;t care if it needs a little work, I am just thrilled with it! I've never been able to treat myself to something like this, so it's a new experience for me. I still primarily will be driving the Trooper and Nissan day to day, saving my Jag for travel and pleasure!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I'm finally a Jag XJR owner!!

ORIGINAL: rastus

Hi all, it's great to be here! A little about myself. I'm a 42 yr old single dad from Nashville, was a pro guitarist for many years, but these days I just buy and sell vintage guitars and related gear to support my son and myself. I enjoy what I do so it never seems like work. I have 3 vehicles, a raggedy little purple 96 Nissan p/u, a sturdy ol' 94 Isuzu Trooper with nearly 300K on the clock, and my new baby, a 99 XJR in black on black.

Back in 1995 a good buddy of mine got a record deal, and his band charted 2 top 10 singles on the C&W charts. He spent his first mailbox money on a brand new red 96 XJR. After he let me have a turn at the wheel, I decided: "someday I WILL have one of these!" When the V8 XJR came out it only made me want one even more. So, here I am years later and I finally have purchased one!

The car is black on black and has had 3 owners. I bought it from a fellow in Chicago, off of ebay, got it for 3900 bucks. Had sold a couple old guitars that I no longer used to pay for it. I don't miss the guitars at all. It's a very clean always garaged 99 model with 125K miles and very complete and up to date service records. It has a few little things that need fixed, just minor stuff, but overall it's a great running car. I flew into Chi-town, picked it up and headed back to Nashville. Made it all the way from Chicago to Louisville on 1 tank of premium (running 75-80 most the way). It's a dream come true to finally have a car that I've wanted so long, even though my finances meant searching for a bargain and settling for one with some miles on it.

The only bummer was: As I turned onto the highway home (17 miles from the house) my CHECK ENGINE light lit up. I can't find anything obvious wrong, and it exhibits no problems, so maybe someone could give me advice, as I'm new to Jags. I don;t care if it needs a little work, I am just thrilled with it! I've never been able to treat myself to something like this, so it's a new experience for me. I still primarily will be driving the Trooper and Nissan day to day, saving my Jag for travel and pleasure!
Welcome and congrats! Don't tell too many people about purple Nissan! J/K

Old 12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum... check engine after that drive and a fill up... probably gas cap.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  6.0 KB

Hi Rastus.............nice intro / good write up. W elcome to the forum
You might wanna post a little mire info if you can on the CEL on the General tech help / XJR section for better responses.
Good luck bud

Jim

Old 12-18-2008, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome
I feel like number of XJR Owners getting higher and higher lol

Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=welcomesign.gif]post some pictures of your new cat.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum rastus. Enjoy your Jaguar....

Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

Rastus, welcome buddy, and great story about your joureny to the jag. When a check engine light comes on, first thing you need to do is go get the codes read from within the computer. There's a port by your left leg that connects to an OBDII scanner, talks to the car, and spits out codes like P0100 and others that you can look up in a table online for possible causes and even some items to check. Lots of electrical issues could be a cause, air intake leaks, fouled 02 sensors, bad coils, etc. Good news is the engine codes can be read by almost any OBDII reader, and your local auto parts store probably reads these for free. My local autozone and o'reiley's does. Any other codes, such as transmission or ABS system can't be read by any 'regular' scanners, and you're looking at going to the dealer or buying a $500+ scanner to do those and other 'enhanced' system codes.

If you have a dealer close by, you may consider going in, meeting the service advisor, and establishing a relationship with him. He may read your car's codes for you at no charge if you catch him at a slow time in the shop. They and the techs running around there are a wealth of information and may suggest corrective action yourself after the codes are 'revealed'. Let's hope its a small issue for your first light. Please report back with what you find ok? We've got parts guys on here, mechanics, DIY experts, and drivers that may have seen/dealt with your exact code you find.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

nice story, id gladly trade a couple of guitars for an XJR myself anyday welcome!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome-I will post a pic or 2 of the big cat as soon as I get some downloaded. The CEL was easy to figure out-turns out I have a small radiator leak. It is so small it has to be cold outside to detect it, but once a rad is leaking, it only gets worse. I am going to remove the radiator after the holidays, don't know if it's repairable, and don't know if I want to, would rather get a new one so as to be on the safe side. I'm sure it'll cost a ton at my local dealer, anyone know a good source? Thanks again and Merry Xmas to all of you!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:33 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: rastus

Thanks for the warm welcome-I will post a pic or 2 of the big cat as soon as I get some downloaded. The CEL was easy to figure out-turns out I have a small radiator leak. It is so small it has to be cold outside to detect it, but once a rad is leaking, it only gets worse. I am going to remove the radiator after the holidays, don't know if it's repairable, and don't know if I want to, would rather get a new one so as to be on the safe side. I'm sure it'll cost a ton at my local dealer, anyone know a good source? Thanks again and Merry Xmas to all of you!
Try here...

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199.../radiator.html

Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: I'

This site sells OEM radiators for just over $600.

http://www.jagbits.com/mm5/merchant....ars_Cooling_11

If you replace your radiator be sure to replace the mountung bushing on the bottom and top of the radiator. They like to get old and crack. Wouldn't make sense not to if your radiator will be out of the car.