New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Joining from Scotland

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining from Scotland

Good day everyone! Hailing from Dundee in Scotland!

Been lurking on the S-Type forums for a bit and decided to hold off registering until I could get a decent shot of myself and the car!

Here is the car bone stock... and me!

I'm an asian as you can see (`∀´).

Inherited the S-Type and it will be the my first ever car... so I'm a bit clueless as to how to keep the cat in check. From reading the forums I know that regular checking/maintenance is essential as, from what I've heard, the S-Type appears to be a car that needs some serious work to keep running well (unreliable?) and this car was driven hard before I got her. My mother's old mercedes had a poor life... being driven down to London and back with engine faults and warning messages ignored! So she sold it and bought a new one (´∀`). So yes... this is mommy's car.

I am very grateful for the car. It is a superb vehicle and, as it seems, it is unnatural for a first-time driver to own a Jaguar. Insurance very pricey - I was thinking of buying myself a cheap old Toyota MR2 until this car was placed in my hands. Despite being a young fool I shan't be ricing the car up with unnecessary mods... nor sticking on racing stickers despite them making the car faster! No top speed runs for me... just easy driving.

I am eager to do some of the maintenance work myself but I have no idea what to check other than the standard stuff (wheel pressure, fluid levels, etc.). Read the manual online (got the link from these forums, thanks!) but it doesn't seem to mention much. I'm hoping that the great community here could clue me in to the general checks/maintenance. Don't want to abuse the car despite it being my first.

It's had only 40,000 miles after six years (which is pretty low?). Been serviced fully last month and the garage is offering me a guarantee for a year. There are some minor problems though; the mirrors move about each time I get in (people slamming it shut too hard, or really strong winds) and the left powerfold is broken (won't go back out after folding in). The air con is extremely hot for the front seats and super cold for the rear...

The garage that does the work on her says they'll sort out all these problems for me though. Hurrah!

Thanks for having me (・v・).

Old 05-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Kai, welcome aboard Jagforums, Glad you found us and hope you enjoy the site.

Nice intro Kai full of info and a pic of you AND the car......nice one!

There's some really great members / techs and advice here as well as a few laughs to be had. The Stypers are a really friendly bunch and there are some excellent DIY'ers who will be glad to help ifthey can I'm sure.

Make sure you check out the relevant section for your car, any FAQ's / TSB's for info and the Off Topic section for general catch up and a few laughs.

In the meantime I'll upgrade you too full forum access so youcan better view the site

Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 193 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi Kaibigan, nice intro, nice car! You've already moved up a notch in my book by avoiding the speed stickers and such.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello Kaibigan:

Just another welcome to the forum, and I have to say..."Your FIRST car???"
Wow, just be very thankful that your mother didn't buy a Toyota Tercel...or something like that. Not that there is anything WRONG with a Toyota tercel...but count your blessings I guess.

My first car was a 67 Mustang convertible with that famous 289 V8 with a manual transmission. My mother had a '70 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland that was balanced and blueprinted. Some of us just get lucky eh? Except my mother could beat me in a drag race and made no bones about smoking my high school friends whenever they had the misfortune of lining up against her.

Dammit she never gave me her Mach 1! LOL

Anyway WOW, I am astounded and thrilled for you.

Cheers
JustV12

Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Beautiful looking S and it's your first car, wow!

You'll find lot's of good advice in the S section to help you get started with the maintenance.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Welcome to the forum Kaibigan! What a great car for your first one too!!!! As mentioned above besure to check out the S Type Section FAQ. But being a diesel there won't be a whole lot featured for the motor.

Enjoy!!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Kaibigan, welcome to the forum. What an intro! Congrats on your first car and thanks for the great picture. Hope you glean a lot of useful information here. Enjoy your time here.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. Great responses!

I'll check out the places you all mentioned, thanks.

About maintenance, would I look a fool if I asked the guys at the garage about the car? I can't seem to find its service history and all that.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.