New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New potential member seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New potential member seeking advice

I currently drive a Nissan 2017 with 32k miles. Today, I found someone who has a 2007 Jaguar KK with some 28k miles. I have driven more miles in 1 year than his car in 11 years!! He has offered to trade my car for his. In the USA, the KBB (Blue book) and Carfax both value my car slightly higher than the Jaguar (Mine at $19000, the Jaguar at $17000).

I am considering it but I am always concerned about reliability and whether the Jaguar makes a decent daily driver. I know little to nothing about Jaguars. Your advice/comments is appreciated.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Zahmed1094,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you've already found your way to the XK/XKR forum so there's no need for a link to it from me

Graham

Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 10,567 Likes on 6,978 Posts

Welcome.

I am biased somewhat, so will NOT answer the obvious.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Received 4,025 Likes on 2,896 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,445 Likes on 5,460 Posts

As I see it, you can drive a copy cat Nissan that no one can tell from all the other Nissans on the road, which You can only tell which one is yours because you've memorized the number plate, Or, you can drive a Jaaaag; which you will Never lose in a car park, and you'll Always know which car is yours.

With only 28k miles, it's not even well broken in yet. Should be good for at least another 150k miles if you take care of it.
Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I frequently make this kind of snap decision.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-30-2018, 04:52 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:42 AM
Received 6,340 Likes on 5,525 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Zahmed1094,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-30-2018, 06:57 AM
Received 4,327 Likes on 3,737 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 11-30-2018, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

Welcome. Age is a big factor on any car. Had you bought it 10 years ago, it would have been as reliable as any other new luxury car, but regardless of mileage, its now 12 years old. That's the age when my XJ8 needed its very first of many repairs, almost all age-related. All of the plastics deteriorate over time, and in addition to cosmetic items, Jaguar uses a lot of PA66 nylon which should never have been used in any cooling system. Even the rubber surrounds on all the speaker cones had disintegrated by about 12 years old and the stereo sounded awful. Of course I'm in Texas where the sun and heat accelerate the decay of plastics. If you're in a cooler climate, plastics last longer. With so few miles, the tires are probably original too and a lot of people are now starting to heed the DOT's recommendation not to drive on old tires. It may also soon need four new TPMS sensors as the batteries are only good for about 10 years or so.

So by contrast, the much newer Nissan can probably be driven for the next five years without a visit to the dealership for anything other than fluid changes while the old Jaguar is going to need some repairs and overdue maintenance. Its not likely to leave you on the side of the road or anything, but its just not anywhere near a new car anymore. Another thing I'm starting to worry about with modern cars is with every time my Iphone updates itself, is that going to be the last time it pairs with the Jaguar. We didn't used to have to worry about technology changing as a car would continue to do its job as long as you kept it well maintained. Now the modern car seems to have more jobs to do than just getting from point A to point B and it has to talk to other pieces of technology to do it.

Most of us who drive older Jaguars out of warranty are generally diehard gearheads, willing to put up with a lot, and many of us twirl our own wrenches to keep the maintenance and repair costs under control. Of course everyone on this forum is biased and would choose a Jaguar over a Nissan in any case. But I'd hate for you to choose the Jaguar under false assumptions that they are as reliable as anything. They are, but only the first five years. After that they are more expensive to maintain and the luxury dissipates as the new wears off, thus the rapid depreciation. Personally, I would love to drive a XK every day, but I'd be worried about leaving it parked unattended in many places I frequent due to the attention such a beautiful design draws to itself. For a daily, I chose the XF which is a similar driving experience, but with stealth mode.

Last edited by pdupler; 11-30-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler
Welcome. Age is a big factor on any car. Had you bought it 10 years ago, it would have been as reliable as any other new luxury car, but regardless of mileage, its now 12 years old. That's the age when my XJ8 needed its very first of many repairs, almost all age-related. All of the plastics deteriorate over time, and in addition to cosmetic items, Jaguar uses a lot of PA66 nylon which should never have been used in any cooling system. Even the rubber surrounds on all the speaker cones had disintegrated by about 12 years old and the stereo sounded awful. Of course I'm in Texas where the sun and heat accelerate the decay of plastics. If you're in a cooler climate, plastics last longer. With so few miles, the tires are probably original too and a lot of people are now starting to heed the DOT's recommendation not to drive on old tires. It may also soon need four new TPMS sensors as the batteries are only good for about 10 years or so.

So by contrast, the much newer Nissan can probably be driven for the next five years without a visit to the dealership for anything other than fluid changes while the old Jaguar is going to need some repairs and overdue maintenance. Its not likely to leave you on the side of the road or anything, but its just not anywhere near a new car anymore. Another thing I'm starting to worry about with modern cars is with every time my Iphone updates itself, is that going to be the last time it pairs with the Jaguar. We didn't used to have to worry about technology changing as a car would continue to do its job as long as you kept it well maintained. Now the modern car seems to have more jobs to do than just getting from point A to point B and it has to talk to other pieces of technology to do it.

Most of us who drive older Jaguars out of warranty are generally diehard gearheads, willing to put up with a lot, and many of us twirl our own wrenches to keep the maintenance and repair costs under control. Of course everyone on this forum is biased and would choose a Jaguar over a Nissan in any case. But I'd hate for you to choose the Jaguar under false assumptions that they are as reliable as anything. They are, but only the first five years. After that they are more expensive to maintain and the luxury dissipates as the new wears off, thus the rapid depreciation. Personally, I would love to drive a XK every day, but I'd be worried about leaving it parked unattended in many places I frequent due to the attention such a beautiful design draws to itself. For a daily, I chose the XF which is a similar driving experience, but with stealth mode.
In this forum, I am going up and down on whether I pull the deal off. Its reliable/its not as reliable as your Nissan, its a great car but expect quick depreciation and breakdowns. I had thought 28k miles meant little used and its a garaged car driven for about 3k miles a year so how bad could it be? I live in Missouri where its not nearly as hot or cold as Texas or Canada.

I should decide by this weekend.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 AM

Reading the above and I just read on another thread that "Water pump, Front & Rear Upper Control Arms, Toe Links, Sway bar link ends, etc. Bill ended up being just shy of $7K. I linked the bill below. Are these common issues for these cars @ 25K miles? Are these repairs something I should be concerned about? Any advice would be much appreciated, " and the response was that yes, they all need to be fixed due to poor design and such.

The above has me worried. I dont want to trade my car and then end up paying for all those within a year.