New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Quick rundown of 5 Jags in NSW, Australia

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Quick rundown of 5 Jags in NSW, Australia

Hi, new to this forum, but not to forums though.

Quick run down of myself.
Nearly 30, live near Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
-I own an E34 BMW 535i Manual as my daily car, plenty of suspension and brake work, simple engine mods too
-I've got a 350rwkw R34 Skyline with an RB26 in it, for when i decide to risk my license or go to the drags/drifts
-CBR600 for when i want to face death head on
-And the latest acquisition to the family was a 3.8 Auto MK2 Jaguar about 5 years ago, at the time I got it, I fixed and upgraded the brakes as the car had been sitting for 20+years, has 4 spots up front now, new lines, new remote booster and more, started on getting it running properly, but too many oil leaks from everywhere put that project on hold.

Went to the mines for 3 years as a fitter, back home now, doing real estate and bringing Hyperbaric Chambers into Australia, just getting TGA approval now (absolute headfuk)

Now im back, i looked into the jag again, toyed with the idea of putting an LS1 in it, only because the numbers werent matching and the driveline needs a complete overhaul.

In conversation at the pub one night, I somehow got offered 2 more MK2s and an early S-type for a price i couldnt refuse.

One (3.4 auto) has been blasted, rust repaired, panels laser aligned, rack straightened chassis, and is in primer, but has been for 10 years now, so needs a strip down and fresh start, only has some surface rust showing through panels lightly, this one also has a fully rebuilt engine and auto, balanced and lightweight pistons, headwork apparently (i'll pull inlet off to confirm eventually) new wiring loom in box, front seats at trimmers still after 10 years, but they have had the whole hog done to them, painted frame, multiple types of new foam, and are yet to be recovere in leather, the rest of the car is in boxes and boxes around the shed its currently stored in.

Also is a stock 2.4 auto MK2, which was white but someone appears to have hand painted it in mauve/maroon/purple, which is flaking off etc, yet it is complete, hasnt run for 10+ years though

And also in that 3 deal package is an S-type, originally a 3.4, but has a 4.2 in it and a manual box behind it, its white and looks complete too with minimal rust

More details on those three will be found out once we move them from the current place of storage and do an inventory.

That purchase was 2 weeks ago, and yesterday i got asked if i wanted a series 3 XJ6, just had to take it away, dual fuel and doesnt run on petrol and he ran out of gas and could never get it running again, parked up about 2.5 years ago

So i just got that down in the carport, bled the brakes, checked fluids, pressure washed spiders out of every nook and cranny, and will start going through the checklist i found on this site, regarding cranking but not starting and go from there.

An interesting thing i found out recently is that my spare BMW wheels 16x8.5" et10, bolt up to the MK2 jaguar on the rear and clear everything! yet the 15" and 17" rims i had didnt. the front hub would require a tiny bit of machining to get a flat surface for the hub to bolt to and it would be a simple job then, or i could run a slip on spacer.

The plans are, initially get the XJ6, well its actually a sovereign and im yet to google the differences, get that running so i know the driveline is all good, park it up for the mean time and then use it for parts for the mk2's, reason being is the rust is pretty bad around the rear window and the doors.

Get the 3.4 MK2 finished in concours condition, utilising the best parts of the three mk2's i have, then turn another one into a modified/hotrod style, im not sure the theme it would fit in, maybe superstreet, using the bmw wheels, wilwood brakes, eventually a complete front and rear suspension custimisation to support power and help handling, possibly semi tubbed IRS rear end, tube frame bolt on front end with custom A-arms and hubs adapted from somethign a bit more modern, and probably an LS1 or an easier option a 350chev, something to annoy the purists, yet still look like a jag from the outside apart from being lower, wide dished wheels and sounded different, paint job unknown.

Probably just fix up and sell the S-type too

Sory for the long winded story, once i have a shed sorted for all these Jags, then i'll start a build/restoration thread, for the mean time, ill just peruse and search for answers regarding the XJ6 until the time is right.

I should mention, this is a joint project between me and my father, however i'm the hands on guy

Cheers, Nick

The following 7 users liked this post by Stoney85:
Cambo (09-24-2014), cat_as_trophy (09-25-2014), Don B (10-02-2014), GGG (09-24-2014), JimC64 (09-24-2014), Norri (09-24-2014), o1xjr (09-25-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello, Nick,
Wow! You certainly have a long hit list!
You'll find some very helpful and knowledgeable people in our Xj6 section, the most beautiful Jaguar ever built.
Reckon why I might think that?

Welcome from ElinorB.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Stoney85 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, Supermoderator and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Stoney85 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nick,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I'll not even try giving you links to the model tech forums as I think you'll need most of them!
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top of each is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Australia - NSW / ACT Region forum by following this link Australia - New South Wales / ACT - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Stoney85 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nick!

Stoney85 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Nick,

Good to have you with us.
I can only say "bloody hell!" Makes me tired just thinking about it.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Stoney85 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 PM

I've even on a LOT forums and I can easily say this is the most welcoming I've felt ever.

I'll get around to updating my profile today at some stage.

And look forward to sharing my experiences and projects with you all.

I know this is a worldwide jag forum but is there any info on the breakdown of % of people from each country? Curious

The following 2 users liked this post by Stoney85:
GGG (09-25-2014), LnrB (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nick.

There are a number of members from Australia, although the majority of active members are in the USA & Canada.

Can't give you exact % but íf I had to guess;

USA/CAN: 70%
UK: 15%
Europe: 5%
AUS/NZ: 5%
Rest of World: 5%

But that's just a guess...

There are a number of members not far from you, there's a couple in Coffs, as well as a few in Sydney and Brisbane...

Stoney85 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by SNG Barratt USA
Welcome to the forum Nick!
I have a feeling that we will be on a first name basis once the restorations kick off

Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

welcome - enjoy

Stoney85 (09-24-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 02:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoney85
I've even on a LOT forums and I can easily say this is the most welcoming I've felt ever. ........

....... I know this is a worldwide jag forum but is there any info on the breakdown of % of people from each country? Curious
Thanks for mentioning it. We do try hard to make everyone feel welcome and help to find the places on the forum likely to be relevant. It's come a long way from the days when one newbie posted the question "does anyone read this stuff"!

A breakdown by Country would be interesting but is made difficult by the many different ways members enter Location details. For example, Australian members usually include 'Australia' but USA members more often only put State.

I'll ask forum owner, Internet Brands, if they can run some analysis.

Graham

Old 09-25-2014, 06:18 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nick.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Wecome Nick

HUGE Welcome Nick . . . and apologies . . . coz I live either side of you and I'm last to the party to welcome you aboard. So my HUGE welcome is sincere. It's great to have you join us here on Jaguar Forums. How can we live either side of you . . . ? Yep. Mostly living in the gentle climate of Coffs Harbour itself (near Baringa Hospital) but still growing a lively assortment of weeds and thistles on our farm south of Brierfield in the hills above Nambucca (on Bellingen Road actually).

You and your Dad certainly have some projects lined up and I am certain that you will find enthusiastic and knowledgeable support all through the relevant model specific forums here. Clarke [o1xjr] has fast become our local (ie Brisbane) guru on the XJ6; check out my pics (Album) here for our total rebuild resto of a 3.8S; [Grant Francis] over in Adelaide is your man when number of cylinders goes past 8. You have a good spread of models, and even though my field leans toward the sports and modern Jaguars, my heart quickens at the thought of those Mk2s. Gotta get some pics up here Nick. Warts and all at this stage, but full of promise, eh?

Finally Nick, you have mentioned the two magic words - and in the one sentence - Jags and Pub. We should meet up for a careful examination of both. You, Dad and moi? at Bello? [07-JAG] being a diesel, and I (being thirsty) often need an excuse to blow out the cobwebs.
Regards and best wishes,
Ken

Stoney85 (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Gotta get some pics up here Nick. Warts and all at this stage, but full of promise, eh?

Finally Nick, you have mentioned the two magic words - and in the one sentence - Jags and Pub. We should meet up for a careful examination of both. You, Dad and moi? at Bello? [07-JAG] being a diesel, and I (being thirsty) often need an excuse to blow out the cobwebs.
Regards and best wishes,
Ken

I'm sure we can share a few stories over a beer or few, the federal pub in Bello is always a great place.

Got a few photos but as you said, warts and all is probably the best description of them currently, the three in the shed have a good ten years of dust on them.

I'll work out how to upload a few

Old 09-26-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
You, Dad and moi? at Bello? [07-JAG] being a diesel, and I (being thirsty) often need an excuse to blow out the cobwebs.
Regards and best wishes,
Ken
Originally Posted by Stoney85
I'm sure we can share a few stories over a beer or few, the federal pub in Bello is always a great place.
Ken, don't tempt me too much. It wouldn't be that hard to roll down the hill to Coffs for a beer in Bello and get a signature on that banner. As long as I don't have to push Fireball 5 hours up hill to Brisbane afterwards.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:01 PM

More the merrier, right?

Old 09-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default A drink in Bello ... then a meet in Ballina?

OK ... Long way for Clarke to have to come for a beer ... even for a really classy red! Perhaps, I duck down to Bello (I know the Fed) ... meet up with Nick and Dad (coz I'll need wise company to keep you young bucks entertained). Then we make arrangements not for Clarke to drive all that distance down ... but ...

By now, I'm hoping our newest member [Mike Dean] who lives in Ballina may be similarly interested ... and we could then make arrangements to all meet up there?

Perhaps Nick and Dad would drive to Coffs ... I'll happily pilot the 3 of us from Coffs up to Ballina and back ... whilst Clarke might find 1 or 2 to accompany him down as far as Ballina (not nearly so far to push home ... and he'll have help!).

What say all of us? Nick? I'll PM you for that catchup drink at the Fed (It'll be good to attach a name to Dad too). Mike? Are you up for a couple of delicious Jags to arrive in Ballina to keep yours company? I can't promise we are all house trained but we know not to drool on the duco. And Clarke? I know the mere mention of Jaguars and refreshments gives you severe symptoms of wheel wobble, but I'm sure you would find this fairer destination (no slight on delightful Bellingen) impossible to pass up. And he has the banner! And a Union Jack to line the boot! And the renowned [Miss Fireball] ... reputed to have a crush on [07-JAG].
What say fellas? Any other starters?
Ken

Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 AM

Ken, that is only 2 hours from my door. Better than the 5 to Bellingen, but either way I would like to be there.
Puneyman and Doc are on the Gold Coast and might like to tag along from there,only one hour to Ballina for them.
How about starting a thread in the NSW forum and I'll point the Queensland members towards it. I always have Sundays off but work 2 Saturdays out of 4, so any Sunday would suit me if it doesn't clash with the Sunshine Coast day on 26th October.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:53 PM

A little weekend trip to Ballina could work, Dad (Peter) has just opened up a Real Estate Office in Byron bay -Real Estate Of Distinction www.reod.com.au - and will be commuting back and forth on occasion, I'm sure i can sort something out there too.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Nick,

Thanks for the introduction! We'll look forward to hearing more about your projects!

Cheers,

Don

Stoney85 (10-02-2014)

Quick Reply: Quick rundown of 5 Jags in NSW, Australia