S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Module replacement- more problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Module replacement- more problems

So after a slew of little S type R problems I have been dealing with in my 03 S TYPE R 53K miles. My ABS module went bad and ABS and DSC light came on. I bought a used ABS module for $300 from a wrecked Stype( Dealer wants $2100) After paying dealer to put this one in and program it, they found you cannot do that, you need to buy new or have old ABS unit rebuilt. $500 to rebuild, but no garrantee it will work. so I have the used ABS module still in car and my original in my garage while I save more money to fix this problem. Point of this long post is, My car bucks and shifts horribly from 1st to 2nd. I mean real bad, and I feel its bad for tranny. They said with out the rigt ABS unit in there it is as if my Dash pack is bad.
I am wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with this ( ABS replacements or rebuilds). I have already sunk Over $7K into repairs in last 8 months of ownership breaking me. I love the car and its great, but cant keep up with all the expensive crazy repairs(headlights, pully update and replacment, window regulator, headliner, Airbag sensors ect ect..) I need some advice on this if possible.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Let's ignore the non-repair pulley upgrade etc.

You got ABS/DSC issues. What actual codes were there? I mean, you didn't decide to replace the ABS module without knowing it wasn't (for example) a sensor or wiring problem, right? And by module you do mean the electronic control module?

Are you saying you think (or have been told) the bucking is related to that module and if so why?

Did you have a second opinion or just the one dealer?

Last edited by JagV8; 01-03-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:49 PM

I dont know the codes. I was told by dealer my ABS and DSC light were on due to the ABS Module failure and i was given a code, but it was the code for that failure. I do not have this paper in front of me, but it matched for the module. And i was told by dealer the bucking and poor shifting was due to the new module not being able to be programmed to my car. And I didnt know where to go for a 2nd opinion. I was told Only the dealer could do the programming and brake bleading that needed to be done for this particular unit.

Originally Posted by jagv8
Let's ignore the non-repair pulley upgrade etc.

You got ABS/DSC issues. What actual codes were there? I mean, you didn't decide to replace the ABS module without knowing it wasn't (for example) a sensor or wiring problem, right? And by module you do mean the electronic control module?

Are you saying you think (or have been told) the bucking is related to that module and if so why?

Did you have a second opinion or just the one dealer?

Last edited by AngryJagOwner; 01-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

You could get yours repaired fairly cheaply I reckon. There are firms who do that (google will find them and I think there are old posts on here too). But if your dealer told you the kind to buy and that's what you bought (though used), then it should work - and be programmable to the car, if that's truly needed. It can't really be true that you need either new or your own repaired, or if true you should be able to verify that (try Jaguar Corporate). I'd change dealer.

I doubt the bucking is caused the way they claim. Again, I'd change dealer.

Frankly without the codes thrown by the original problem, how on earth can it be diagnosed properly?

The following users liked this post:
Showanis (01-30-2014)
Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

not all failures cause codes, and I just replaced an ABS ecu for ABS/DSC failure, no codes but the failure was the ecu. you dont have to replace the ABS valve block, and therefor do not have to bleed the brakes. even if the new one comes with it. They unbolt and seperate. Since the car only knows the speed of the car from the ABS module, it is possible that is causing shifting problems too, but not likely. Cause the TCM can use other info and shift mapping to still shift properly. And there are vin splits, year changes and Trac or DSC features that the used one HAS to have or it won't work properly with your car....and that may be the issue they have with it. They can plug it in and check with IDS to see it will program and or if thats the problem for sure. The car I had was a hard fault and plugging in the new module and programming made all well again, so I then installed it.

The following users liked this post:
Showanis (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 AM

Brutal first of Hello, you are a legend in the Jag community, I have a 2004 S type R it is pulling code c2785 I never seen it before I have no Problems with brakes but DSC light is on and all sensors are reading correctly, Jag Mac of Dallas says it is a bad Abs control Module and I know you changed many of those, what should I do I found one at LKQ if I do buy it do I have to reprogram it? and If I send it to get rebuilt do I have to reprogram that too Im really confused and lost I bought this car and the car is running rich and we still cant find that problem, Thanks chief!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

Running rich is unrelated so start a thread for that issue alone and in it post LTFTs per bank, engine hot, parked, at idle and at about 2500rpm (4 numbers). At a guess you can just change the ABS module and it'll be fine but maybe a tech will say. A jag place really ought to know anyway!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Showanis,
You really ought to get to know Motorcarman. Maybe I assume too much....but if you lived in Houston...you'd take it 'round to see Brutal, right?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Showanis,
You really ought to get to know Motorcarman. Maybe I assume too much....but if you lived in Houston...you'd take it 'round to see Brutal, right?
Motorcarman? Don't know what that is . yes if I lived in Houston I would definitely take it to Brutal, but I live 4 hours away. I'm going to have to drop the car off at the *******, I had too many bad experiences at Jaguar dealer's but have no choice now I'm not going to start dishing out money on parts and taking second guessing.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Brutal summarized it best.

if you were going to swap a ABS/DSC ECU - first you should have matched it up to the part number listed on the ABS/DSC ECU already on the car - I had a C1095 code (on my 00 S Type) - it was the ABS/DSC ECU after the ABS motor tested OK and I found an exact replacement - matching part number (for only $60), installed the replacement w/o disconnecting the brake lines and I was good to go - DSC and all... (there are different variants of these ECU's out there...)

As Brutal also mentioned - just because the ABS/DSC message is on the message display doesn't necessarily mean the ECU is bad - there are other parts in the ABS system that fail. But since you took it to Jaguar (which by the way - I'm surprised they would even swap in a used part) they knew what part needed replacing... or did you tell them what you thought was wrong?

Codes would be helpful for us to assist...

Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Showanis
Motorcarman? Don't know what that is . yes if I lived in Houston I would definitely take it to Brutal, but I live 4 hours away. I'm going to have to drop the car off at the *******, I had too many bad experiences at Jaguar dealer's but have no choice now I'm not going to start dishing out money on parts and taking second guessing.

I'm trying to tell you that you have an obvious choice, but you seem determined to choose badly. Here:

Motorcarman = Bob Gauff
Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: motorcarman

Contact him before you take it to a dealer and start throwing parts at it. His shop is between Boyd and Decatur and he'll fix you up in short order.
I guess the only other way to say it is if I lived next door to JagMac I'd still make the drive out to Bob's when facing something on the Jag I can't handle myself. Ditto if instead I was living next door to any of the metroplex dealers. And I say that having had good experiences at both JagMac and Autobahn FTW.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I'm trying to tell you that you have an obvious choice, but you seem determined to choose badly. Here:

Motorcarman = Bob Gauff
Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: motorcarman

Contact him before you take it to a dealer and start throwing parts at it. His shop is between Boyd and Decatur and he'll fix you up in short order.
I guess the only other way to say it is if I lived next door to JagMac I'd still make the drive out to Bob's when facing something on the Jag I can't handle myself. Ditto if instead I was living next door to any of the metroplex dealers. And I say that having had good experiences at both JagMac and Autobahn FTW.
Ok thanks so motorcarman is good, I will try to contact him, so you been to jag mac there good but really busy they have cars lined up for work, and I did get it diagnosed on short notice at jag mac his son scanned it that's it and told me it is pointing out to the brake module and I asked if he is 100% sure and he said no so I'm weary if this is for sure the issue, this is the less serious problem. I have a restricted performance issue and don't want to mention it in this post to offend anyone.

Last edited by Showanis; 02-01-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM

I found a brake module it's has exact part number on it all over except there is one letter different and all the ones I found have a lot of numbers different, do you know if this will work? It's only $90 and is in town.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I'm not sure how the last letter references the part. I can state I have purchased parts that have one different letter at the end but worked good - but this was HVAC servo motors and a ADCM.

For $90 dollars and the part being in town I would go for it (but I'm a gambling man)