S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is amsoil 5w-30 compatible with the factory warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Is amsoil 5w-30 compatible with the factory warranty?

Just want to make sure, because Jag recommended using only Castrol Syntec with the supercharged motor. I do not want to mess with a warranty problem if i ever need the motor replaced . I'm pretty sure Amsoil is a true Group IV synthetic so i don't see how it would hurt the motor. Any suggestions?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont see an issue with it, as long as the oil was changed at the right times.....Best guess would be, cal the dealership and ask....I dont think they are that hardcore about it.....but never know....

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic

Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Amsoil series 2000 made only in 0W-30. It far exceeds Jaguar requirements. No auto manufacturer can legally dictate that you use a certain brand of oil, however they possibly could have a leg to stand on if you use a different weight oil than recommended, but very unlikely.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

weight rec. depends on climate, etc.. a 5-30w is recommended, not required. You might want to use a 0-30w or even 20w in Canada or other cold climates in the winter. Techs and people in those areas know what works best. As far as Amsoil, everything they put out exceeds requirements of just about any manufacturer.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Brutal
what type of oil did you use on your car..
since we both are from Houston, i might as well follow your footstep.
and have you heard the Jaguar repair shop called Lucas Auto Care?
http://lucasautocare.com/defaultjaguar.php
are they any good?

i might need to bring the STR for a tune up or check up.

thanks in advance

Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Why not just take it to Brutal?

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
Hey Brutal
what type of oil did you use on your car..
since we both are from Houston, i might as well follow your footstep.
and have you heard the Jaguar repair shop called Lucas Auto Care?
http://lucasautocare.com/defaultjaguar.php
are they any good?

i might need to bring the STR for a tune up or check up.

thanks in advance
WE HAVE 2 DIFF ENGINE, MINE IS SPEC'D FOR 20-50, YOURS 5-30 STAY WITH 5-30 YOULL BE FINE, JUST CHANGE @5K UNLESS YOU DRIVE SHORT DIST AND DONT EVER GET ON IT. THIS TYPE DRIVING SLUGGES AN ENGINE MORE THAN ANYTHING SINCE IT NEVER GET UP TO OPERATING TEMP FOR LONG. IF THATS THE CASE GO TO 3K.....ALLTHOUGH NOW EVERYONE IS GONNA WEIGH IN ON THE 'OL WHEN SHOULD I CHANGE MY OIL.....
WHAT SIDE OF HOUSTON DO YOU LIVE AND WORK???

Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Just want to make sure, because Jag recommended using only Castrol Syntec with the supercharged motor. I do not want to mess with a warranty problem if i ever need the motor replaced . I'm pretty sure Amsoil is a true Group IV synthetic so i don't see how it would hurt the motor. Any suggestions?
Two comments before things fall off the rails as they usually do with oil threads

1) Some Amsoil products do not carry API certification. If you use them and things go badly, don't expect Jaguar to honour the warranty

2) There's no evidence that Amsoil (or any other boutique oil) has any tangible, credible benefits over the plain jane varieties.

You might make yourself feel better by using them but your car couldn't care less.

IBTL.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you wish to learn the facts about API certification check here:

http://www.synthetic-distribution.co...ification.html

Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Two comments before things fall off the rails as they usually do with oil threads

1) Some Amsoil products do not carry API certification. If you use them and things go badly, don't expect Jaguar to honour the warranty

2) There's no evidence that Amsoil (or any other boutique oil) has any tangible, credible benefits over the plain jane varieties.

You might make yourself feel better by using them but your car couldn't care less.

IBTL.
Ive worked at the dealer level for 14 years on jags and they NEVER ask or want to know about oil used, just that there was oil in it. (like people that hit something in the road then ignore that RED oil light and want the engine warrantied, no you need to call your insurance moron)Now extended warranty companies are totally different, while Ive never had 1 send and oil sample or ask about what oil used, they almost always want maintenance records, and if you DIY you better have receipts with a mileage log etc or that will give them a OUT

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
they almost always want maintenance records, and if you DIY you better have receipts with a mileage log etc or that will give them a OUT
Exactly- and a receipt showing one of the non-approved Amsoil products would be precisely that. Why do it?

Old 12-27-2010, 12:13 PM

I use amsoil in the race car and the trans in the nissan. They exceed specs for both

Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 PM

WE HAVE 2 DIFF ENGINE, MINE IS SPEC'D FOR 20-50, YOURS 5-30 STAY WITH 5-30 YOULL BE FINE, JUST CHANGE @5K UNLESS YOU DRIVE SHORT DIST AND DONT EVER GET ON IT. THIS TYPE DRIVING SLUGGES AN ENGINE MORE THAN ANYTHING SINCE IT NEVER GET UP TO OPERATING TEMP FOR LONG. IF THATS THE CASE GO TO 3K.....ALLTHOUGH NOW EVERYONE IS GONNA WEIGH IN ON THE 'OL WHEN SHOULD I CHANGE MY OIL.....
WHAT SIDE OF HOUSTON DO YOU LIVE AND WORK???

Brutal..
i live in the north... by HWY 249 and HWY 1960.
i travel most of the time, spend more than 200 days last year on Hotel, plane and rental cars....

so i should be using 5-30w, would the mobil 1 full synthetic oil be good?

thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
Brutal..
i live in the north... by HWY 249 and HWY 1960.
i travel most of the time, spend more than 200 days last year on Hotel, plane and rental cars....

so i should be using 5-30w, would the mobil 1 full synthetic oil be good?

thanks
I'm not Brutal (some say otherwise) but have you read the owners manual? Simply use what Jag recommends and be done with it. Agonizing over oil selection is absolutely futile as there is no proven difference from one to another unless we get into what happened to Uncle Henry's '41 Ford that was used as a parade vehicle except on the fifth Saturday of every month when it got used as a Top Fuel dragster.

I received a PM with regards to my comments above (gee what a surprise) wherein the poster had misconstrued my statement as having had negative experience with Amsoil products.

Here is my response:

"No bad personal experience nor did I allude to such a thing in my post. As stated, there's just no advantage to it in 'real world' terms. I come from a lifetime career in the OEM engine business and have heard all possible snake oil pitches many times over. Engine failure due to supposed inferior oils is pretty much a myth. Going beyond OEM requirements is a waste of money. Using non-approved lubricants or parts can and will put the warranty in jeopardy."

Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM

WELL IM NOT MIKEY, BUT SOME MAY DISSAGREE, BUT YOURE FINE WITH 5-30W
AND YES I USE SYNTHETIC. BUT I GET IT VERY CHEAPLY. IVE ALWAYS FELT THAT THERES NOTHING BETTER THAN REGULAR MAINTENANCE OF A VEHICLE IN ALL AREAS TO REDUCE LONGTERM COSTS AND IMPROVE RELIABILTY

I received a PM with regards to my comments above (gee what a surprise) wherein the poster had misconstrued my statement as having had negative experience with Amsoil products.

WASNT ME

AND UNFORTUNATLY READING A OWNERS MANUAL IS A RARITY <<<<NOT DIRECTED AT YOU KAP, I KNOW ITS EASIER TO ASK A QUESTION THAT FIND THE MANUAL AND LOOK IT UP, NO HARM NO FOUL. IF YOU WANT TO COME DOWN IDE BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO LIFT YOUR R IN THE AIR DURING A LOF AND TELL YOU WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR CAR FROM SOMEONE THAT SEES THEM DAY IN AND DAY OUT WITH AN UNBIASED OPINION AND YOU CAN AT LEAST BE INFORMED ABOUT YOUR CAR......FAIR

DAMN STUCK CAP LOCK BUTTON

Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So i guess that i should not be using it then?

Old 12-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The Amsoil 5w-30? Kinda expensive (I guess) but should work fine in an S-Type.
I'd check it meets the jag spec but would expect it to.
But... the SC engine is good, just give it any cheap decent oil meeting the spec and change it reasonably often - but not too often. Spend any money saved on other things or save it for a rainy day.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-27-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 08Z06
So i guess that i should not be using it then?
What is your burning desire to use it?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 PM

WELL IM NOT MIKEY, BUT SOME MAY DISSAGREE, BUT YOURE FINE WITH 5-30W
AND YES I USE SYNTHETIC. BUT I GET IT VERY CHEAPLY. IVE ALWAYS FELT THAT THERES NOTHING BETTER THAN REGULAR MAINTENANCE OF A VEHICLE IN ALL AREAS TO REDUCE LONGTERM COSTS AND IMPROVE RELIABILTY

WASNT ME

AND UNFORTUNATLY READING A OWNERS MANUAL IS A RARITY <<<<NOT DIRECTED AT YOU KAP, I KNOW ITS EASIER TO ASK A QUESTION THAT FIND THE MANUAL AND LOOK IT UP, NO HARM NO FOUL. IF YOU WANT TO COME DOWN IDE BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO LIFT YOUR R IN THE AIR DURING A LOF AND TELL YOU WHAT I THINK ABOUT YOUR CAR FROM SOMEONE THAT SEES THEM DAY IN AND DAY OUT WITH AN UNBIASED OPINION AND YOU CAN AT LEAST BE INFORMED ABOUT YOUR CAR......FAIR

DAMN STUCK CAP LOCK BUTTON
Well it is fine is directed to me ... i wish i had an owners manual... hahahaha my recently purchased STR is missing the owners manual...
so i can't even check.

Where do you think we can get a copy of owner's manual aside from ebay.

thanks

Quick Reply: Is amsoil 5w-30 compatible with the factory warranty?