S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank Navigation Screen - consolidate thrds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Blank Navigation Screen - consolidate thrds?

Ok all.

I am currently suffering from the "blank navigation screen" syndrome in my '03 StypeR, with the requisite 50/51/C1 flashing in the LCD screen and the defrost seemingly on constantly, with none of the hard buttons functioning and none of the touchscreen buttons even displaying. Radio and CD player can function using their hard buttons.

I have searched and reviewed comments regarding similar issues here (in the other model specific forums), and was wondering if there may be a helpful moderator or tech that could compile a process for dealing with this issue, as, apparently, at the dealers this becomes an instant $2k+ kind of fix (mine was $2200)? I'd like to exhaust all other possibilities before going down this path.

From reading thru previous posts on the topic, my understanding is that there are (2) likely fixes - and my weak attempt at compilation is:

1) Update the map in the car via the DVD reader, thereby updating firmware, and presto after allowing the vehicle to absorb the new info we have lift off. Something in here refered to as "S/W" to have some influence, however, I am not completely gathering this reference.....

OR

2) Replacing the navigation DVD reader with a new (different) unit as it seems infrequent that the screen/display itself ever has issue, and procede ahead to a life filled with navigation and functioning climate control.

If there is anyone out there with something to try, perhaps a file to download and install to at least verify that my DVD reader is operational, I would appreciate it. Any and all other recommendations would also be appreciated.

Kind Regards, and thank you for your time and hospitality.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18,467 Likes on 7,444 Posts

Have you checked the battery yet ???

Old 11-01-2010, 12:16 PM
jar

Have not.

Been kind of scared to - given that this feels "electrical gremlin" to me. One day the screen works fine, the next nothing - what the heck else can I lose by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery.

I seem to recall previous threads tried it, can't remember the results......

All that said, seems like a good STEP #1 in a consolidated thread on the topic....

Will try this evening.....

Old 11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It may even be a failing battery. Causes weird gremlins. Lots of info if you use Search

Otherwise, hope it's not a corroded wire loom. Search if you want scaring

OBD can be used to see if the various modules are contactable and if so what errors they have logged, but you need a dealer-type tool (so dealer or AutoEnginuity).

Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
jar

Ok.

So pulled the battery, looks like an OE unit - so ~8 years old now - took it to Autozone where it tested "good", making better than 12V and 570 cold cranking amps (label on battery says 680). Brought the battery into work, and left it on the "rejuvenator" for a day and a half, then put it on slow charge until the tender said full. Had it checked at the same place, again was "good", but after all of that messing around, the CCA was still at 578. I found that odd, or at least unexpected.

Put it back in, and still no functioning screen. Damnit.

On the plus side, the non-functioning screen/climate control looks like it will be on the back burner, as the day before I yanked the battery, the car had an engine fault code of some nature, deciding to engage limp home - rather tow home - mode. So, most immediate effort shall likely be directed at determining what the blazes caused that issue.

Have gone thru this once before, in heavy rain, but ever since having the TPS silicone sealed, haven't seen this problem. Little bit different this time, enigne will idle rough, with the yellow engine light illuminated, and will smooth out once I bring up the revs......I don't care what the jaguar cheerleaders say, having a failure mode that immediately removes all motive power from the vehicle is NOT safe and should NOT be acceptable - from any OEM. The logic for a fault should not eliminate driveability - reduce yes, eliminate no. There should be at a minimum some redundant system that allows some practical usage, at least from a safety perspective.

done rant. sorry. derailed my own thread.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jar
I don't care what the jaguar cheerleaders say, having a failure mode that immediately removes all motive power from the vehicle is NOT safe and should NOT be acceptable - from any OEM. The logic for a fault should not eliminate driveability - reduce yes, eliminate no. There should be at a minimum some redundant system that allows some practical usage, at least from a safety perspective.
It's not a jaguar thing (even Lexus do it), it seems to be getting common on many makes

In the "old" days your car just stopped and if you were lucky coasted a bit. It wasn't nice or safe. (But roads were emptier and it wasn't a shock.)

Then we got simple (er, well, not exactly) computers and things were better (not in every way).

Now we have emissions-gone-mad forcing horrific computers (and more: yeah I always wanted EGR, EVAP, PCV, returnless fuel lines, electronic throttle control/body, perfectly tight fuel cap etc) and lots of cars with limp home modes (going by different names, too). It's not my idea of progress.

Anyone know if limp home etc is in effect Mandated (by CARB/EPA)? It sure feels like it MUST be

Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 PM
jar

I shall make the effort to stay on task with the thread moving forward, which has been to resolve my blank navigation screen, LCD window code 50/51, with automatic defrost upon ignition. Oh, the radio functions.

So, dealer says the code is 95098 and that I have a bad "Nav Control Module", $2K+ labor and parts.

I've checked the battery, which tests "good", although I am suspicious. The trunk was dry, no signs of moisture. Wiring and cables appear chafe/wear free.

I would very much like to try a software/firmware resolution to this issue, as has been mentioned as successful in other threads - but I have no idea how to get my hands on such data.
Is this something I can ask for at the dealership?
Is it something that comes with purchase of a new map set?
Is it available for download somewhere?

Beyond that, regarding blank screens:

Is it possible to determine if the DVD player is simply functioning or not? Is the Nav Module the little black box sitting on top of the DVD player?
In replacing such items, is it much like replacing stereo equipment in a rack, plug and play style, or is it more complex?

For the cost at the dealership, I feel like I can exhaust a few possibilities for less than 10% of their estimate, so I would like to.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

You may get lucky and have a tech post something that helps a lot.

I believe AutoEnginuity's OBD device with their jag extra software can dig low enough that it can let you watch things like the individual controls on the dash (like the ones round the sat nav screen), but it's $400-450. You can get a better idea from their web site.

The dealer can do this, if anything more, but isn't cheap.

Otherwise, debugging with meter, 'scope, etc would be a painful, slow way I suspect

If you get AE, either leave the engine on or attach a charger or use it in short bursts - or flatten battery! (Yep, I did.)

Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 AM
jar

Others:

This thread is dead. Issue was resolved by having the dealer update the operating system software for the DVD/Navigation player, through use of the software update disc - NOT THROUGH the IDS or network diagnostic tools.

The car's network, nor anything trying to connect to verify the Navigation module through the network will be able to do so, as the DVD/Navigation module is not signing on to the network - it won't be there, and won't show up to those tools. An update, via installation of the update disc in the DVD/Navigation player is what is required.

Kind regards

Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I assume that by "update" that you mean a more recent version than you were using.

What version of the NavTeq software did you have and what version are you now using?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Well his original version had got lost/corrupted inside the player (or module) and I don't think he actually had the firmware disk at all. The dealer was "reluctant" (unwilling) to try reloading the firmware even though TSBs state to do so

When finally persuaded, all is well

Old 12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
jar

JagV8 is correct.

I never purchased new maps, although rumors are rampant that the operating system firmware is included with such a map update.

The Update I speak of is with regard to the O/S of the DVD navigation module itself - whatever version I had burped, and the navigation module went offline.

The dealer installed the latest software update for the DVD navigation module, and all functionality returned. My maps are still unaffected, and remain hopelessly out of date in 2004 or so....

Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jar
JagV8 is correct.

I never purchased new maps, although rumors are rampant that the operating system firmware is included with such a map update.
Here you go...

My Navigation firmware version before I stuck in the 2009-2010 DVD disk was SW 8.00.0 03/11/28; XCL Release V196 2003/11/19.

Name:  nav_01.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  nav_02.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  55.5 KB

After I put in the 2009-2010 DVD disk (all sorts of stuff was going on on the nav screen and climate controls) I have SW 9.03.0 07/10/16; X409 ReleaseV313 2007/10/15.

Name:  nav_03.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  nav_04.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  67.5 KB

You can easily stick in the 2009-2010 DVD and update the firmware.. pull the disk back out.. and stick in the old 2007 map disk and the system works with the latest firmware and older streets.

Last edited by nixx; 12-14-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

OH.. if you want to check your version out.. put the key in the 'ON' position, press and hold the 'phone' and 'menu' buttons at the same time (on either side of the nav screen) for approximately 10-15 seconds. A pass-code screen will appear. Type '917' and press 'enter'. voila!

The following users liked this post:
jar (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:34 AM
jar

Nixx

Thanks for the confirmation on the issue regarding updated O/S software being contained in the map disc, this is really good to know.

Think if I had that info confirmed prior to visiting the dealer, I would've likely popped for new maps. A bit more expensive than the dealer service hour, but I would've also had the new map - would've been like getting the maps at a discount.

For others with this issue, the phone/menu button trick to access the information screen (mentioned by Nixx above) will likely NOT work if you are suffering the 50/51 blank screen issue, simply because the DVD is not online (not talking to the in car network) - at least it did not for me.

That said, in the TSB's listed here at the forums, you will find another key sequence that will allow you to verify that your screen is operable, see page 3 of TSB S419-15V2. A valuable nugget of info to know as you procede with diagnosing the root cause of your issue.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what you were getting at is that this is not repaiable on your own needs to go to dealer.if not could you please send me the needed info to e-mail pkorr89@gmail.com....thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member

Read the posts to get the answer.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year is your Jaguar I’m having trouble as well with this issue..

What year is your jaguar I’m having the same issue right now

Old 12-26-2021, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member