S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

error messages

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Maybe they disturbed something or didn't quite reconnect something in the recent work.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Monday we had the car towed to Richmond (an hour+ South of home). They said they drove her several times - no issues.... and then... a major lurch. They have now reprogrammed the TCM - they have driven her again and feel the bug is out. They also found a bad switch under the seat that was the root of the air bag light being on - replaced that too. So... new battery, shifter, air bag switch and a reprogrammed TCM - think we've got it resolved (hope so as the $ is getting thin). Now, to start planning for the routine stuff.... brakes in a bit then maybe the hood insulation. Thank to all for your suggestions and comments - I am so looking forward to picking her up tomorrow!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Oh my - stranded me this time - small lurch then error messages - gear box fault/park brake fault and cruise disabled (same messages as in Dec) - no power, limped to a safe spot, turned her off - tried to restart - nothing. Waited about 1/2 hr, tried again - she started but would not shift out of park - same error messages on dash. Called the tow truck - 90 mile to dealership this time. Hope to have some answers on Monday.... or may need to part with her - ;-(

Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosemary Johnson
Oh my - stranded me this time - small lurch then error messages - gear box fault/park brake fault and cruise disabled (same messages as in Dec) - no power, limped to a safe spot, turned her off - tried to restart - nothing. Waited about 1/2 hr, tried again - she started but would not shift out of park - same error messages on dash. Called the tow truck - 90 mile to dealership this time. Hope to have some answers on Monday.... or may need to part with her - ;-(
wow, just WOW.....

sorry to hear

Old 01-29-2012, 04:52 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosemary Johnson
Rosemary, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Something like the work they did, or bad battery, bad connection, water in the trunk or so on.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:44 PM

Confirmed with the dealership that she arrived (worried all weekend that she was in parts heading to Mexico or some other sunny spot). It's now Tues and I haven't had an updatge from the dealer - no idea of what the problem is.

Doubt it's moisture in the trunk - she's garage stored, hasn't been through the car wash in over a week and we haven't had rain.

Just like my old MG - when she's running it's the best in the world! I've only owned her since 10/1 and loss of use is now up to 18 days....

Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

Thanks for the update, keep us posted when you here something.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM

The saga continues. The Limited Warranty Company stepped up and paid for about 3/4 of the fix (as the problem surfaced during the warranty period - even though it had expired the end of Dec) YEAH!!

It was diagnosed as a faulty wire in the transmission harness and the TMC. The dealer replaced both. Dealer called yesterday to say it was ready (diagnosis, Warranty Co evaluation, shipping of part, repair - 18 days).... a four hour round trip and she's home in her own garage. The drive home was flawless!

My Mercedes dealer wants me in another Benz (2nd one - as I won't trade the old faithful 166k mile C 230 Kompressor)... was originally cautious about a Benz due to high cost of repair/maintenance. All of the research I've done on the S Type showed it to be reliable - I know this isn't a crystal ball thing - but with an almost totally new drive train future issues there may be remote - are there any "common" terrors with other systems that could be lurking around the corner - I would check them with my mechanic and make a decision of riding out any future storm. I like the Jag dealership - but 18 days without a car... gasp. I am minor handy at fixes (kept my MG and Miata through minor stuff) but the complexities of the Jag put me 100% in the hands of my mechanic or dealership... and of course Forum advise.

Bottom line - I love the car and want to keep her. Any guidance for a non-mechanic is appreciated. Thanks again for all of the advise the Forum has provided. Now - out to the Garage - I have some lost time to make up behind the wheel!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,783 Posts

it's very difficult to keep a car you've lost confidence in, especially if she's left you stranded on the side of the road somewhere far from home. Bear in mind that if you walk away now, someone else will enjoy the fruits of your efforts and you'll be starting over with another vehicle that may or may not also have issues.

Since you seem attached to your S-Type, you may want to stay the course and see over the next month or two what happens so you'll then be making a decision based on knowing if the current repairs did indeed cure the problems.

NBCat

The following users liked this post:
Rosemary Johnson (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

That sounds like good advice from NB Cat.

I don't recall hearing about a faulty transmission harness before, so I'd say that you have been unlucky to have this problem, and kudos to your dealer for tracking it down.
Most of the common faults that crop up are fairly easily dealt with by a competent do it yourselfer.
Did you happen to see the posts by Bertrandgrey? He was in a similar situation to yourself and eventually ended up with a car he was happy with.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...n-fixed-58086/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-my-car-61793/

hopefully you have put your nightmare problem behind you.