Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help pulling rear hub off

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Help pulling rear hub off

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm what I am doing is correct. Here is a pic and I followed the JTIS instructions. I have the puller attached as you can see and want to confirm I just keep tightening that nut attached to that puller and the hub should come off, correct? Using my breaker bar to turn that nut that pushes against the rod in the middle of the wheel causing the hub to pop off? It states in the instructions to pull the wheel hub and then take that nut off the upper arm to complete the disassembly. Am I doing this the right way? It did state to remove the brake disc but not sure how to get that off. Also that nut holding that upper arm on, is that 18MM? Any help appreciated.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I don't think you can remove the axle with the top ball joint attached? Not enough wiggle room.

Is the axle moving at all?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM

Hi and thanks. Yes the axle is moving. It shows on JTIS to remove the hub and then take that last bolt off holding that upper arm. I agree, I would think it can't happen that way but in the JTIS it shows a picture with the axle out or apart and that nut still attached and then instructing to take it off. Problem is with that nut where it is located (if you look at that first picture, you can only get an open end wrench on it the way it is so I guess if you pull the wheel hub you can then reach it with a socket. And not sure what size but thinking 17 or 18 MM.

My problem is having a hard time just getting the brake disc off. Rusted on I guess.

Here is that picture Gus.

Last edited by Amadauss; 12-11-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Here is that page on JTIS. See how it looks like it is pulled apart with the axle hanging and that nut is still attached and stating to remove it.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Hi Gus,

You need to remove the rotor (mallet on each side) even possibly some taps of a hammer on the rotor where it is mated (in between the lugs) to the front side to the hub assembly.

Then you must disconnect that upper control arm ball joint from the hub assembly before attempting to pull it. I believe it's a 17MM nut on the ball joint. It's tight in there - use vise grips to grab the bottom of the bolt while you begin loosening the nut.

Once you have this done - the hub (with the removal tool) should pop right off.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - Anthony

The following users liked this post:
arty914 (12-27-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Amadauss
Here is that page on JTIS. See how it looks like it is pulled apart with the axle hanging and that nut is still attached and stating to remove it.

Gus, don't read into the picture. Removing that nut is step #11 - then removing the hub assembly is step #12

Old 12-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have had the rotor get really stuck too so use a dead blow hammer if you have one and give a good whack!

Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Well did you get it off yet?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 PM

Tried a couple of whacks and nothing so sprayed it up a bit and thought let it sit over night in some heat (heated the garage up a bit) and go to it in the morning. Will take that nut off first, thanks abonano.

Thanks everyone of the help. Will take some pics for a thread and you Gus.

abonano (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
Gus, don't read into the picture. Removing that nut is step #11 - then removing the hub assembly is step #12

I would have thought so also about taking that nut off first but here is page 6 from those instructions and it looks like they are showing that nut coming off after the hub assembly has been pulled. That has me stumped also abonano. But it clearly shows the axle out of the hub with that nut on the upper arm still attached in the picture. Maybe an error on JTIS directions.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 PM

Yes, I would agree - sometimes the pics just reference the item (hence the arrow) I replaced my rear hub bearing and for sure I removed that upper control arm/nut from the hub assembly before attempting to pull it. The hub assembly came right off.

Also don't let the half shaft hang after getting the hub off. (Sorry for referring to you as "Gus" before - long day)

Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 PM

No problem, I have been called worse then Gus before . Sorry Gus. And I think you posted in another thread about using a hanger to hold on to the shaft to keep it up. Its getting that 17mm in there and getting that bolt off that is a bear. Not a lot of room to move around. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:48 AM

No problem, I have been called worse then Gus before . Sorry Gus. And I think you posted in another thread about using a hanger to hold on to the shaft to keep it up. Its getting that 17mm in there and getting that bolt off that is a bear. Not a lot of room to move around. Thanks for the help.
lol... I attacked that bolt as follows.. I put the closed end of the 17mm combo wrench on then used the vice grips to hold the shaft and started loosening the bolt. Once you get it loose, remove the vice grips and your home free..

Old 12-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Your killing me!

abonano (12-13-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Had to go out of town so let it on the jack stands. Back home and started over trying to take that brake drum off. Still no luck. I even put a screw driver between the slots on the drum and then banged away at it thinking maybe that would force it off. I probably should have left everything connected with the other stuff to hold the wheel in place and then tried the drum first.

Should I try heating it up? Any thoughts? Or just keep whacking away at it. Thanks

Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 PM

You should still be able to remove the hub w/ the rotor attached. Then try to get the rotor off the hub. If the rotor is seized on the hub when you do get it off it may be worth changing it out (I typically change rotors in pairs)

Another thought - you can try and get penetrating oil between the hub and inside part of the rotor.

A torch might be helpful at this point also...

Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

When I pulled the axles from my s-type, I took off the rotor, took off the axle lock nut, put on the hub puller, sprayed penetating oil down the side of the axle shaft, pressed the axle out of the hub about 1/2", then removed the upper control arm from the hub carrier. I also removed the toe rod bolt so the whole hub carrier can rotate downwards. With the hub carrier loose, I was able to continue pushing the axle out of the hub, eventually it was free enough to rotate the hub carrier down and came free from the axle. For me, pulling the axle out of the differential was a real PITA! I couldn't get it to pull out for the life of me. Took a couple hours and a lot of swearing before I was able to it it to pull out.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tijoe
When I pulled the axles from my s-type, I took off the rotor, took off the axle lock nut, put on the hub puller, sprayed penetating oil down the side of the axle shaft, pressed the axle out of the hub about 1/2", then removed the upper control arm from the hub carrier. I also removed the toe rod bolt so the whole hub carrier can rotate downwards. With the hub carrier loose, I was able to continue pushing the axle out of the hub, eventually it was free enough to rotate the hub carrier down and came free from the axle. For me, pulling the axle out of the differential was a real PITA! I couldn't get it to pull out for the life of me. Took a couple hours and a lot of swearing before I was able to it it to pull out.
Luckily I didn't have to remove my axles as only my hub bearing was shot - the axle was good! I was dreading just thinking about removing it (it's so tight in there to get an axle puller in just right to give it a full straight yank)

Old 12-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,289 Likes on 1,798 Posts

I usually can pop out the axles with two flat blade screw drivers but if not I do have a slide hammer attachment that works well.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. Went on you tube and their are a couple of videos with some good suggestions also to pulling off the rotor. Just do a search on you tube and it comes up.

Quick Reply: Help pulling rear hub off