Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought a 2007 Jaguar S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Bought a 2007 Jaguar S-Type R

Hello,

Just this week I bought a used 2007 STR with 74K miles on it. I am very happy with the purchase and so far it has been an absolute joy to drive. However, before I bought this 2007 STR, I was considering a 2005 STR, but a pre-purchase inspection revealed that apart from seemingly normal wear and tear (brake pads, front tires, wheel alignment), the A/C compressor was leaking and some suspension bushings were worn out. For my current 2007, the A/C blows cold and so far I haven't heard any clunking noises (which, according to my research, is an indication of bad suspension bushings). However, I went into this purchase knowing that at some point the suspension bushings would have to be replaced and I would like to know if it is possible to order the suspension bushings alone or if I would have to order full control arms when the suspension bushings go bad. As for installation, I am willing to install bushings and control arms myself if the procedure is not too complicated. Also, I would like to know if there are any other components that have a higher chance of going bad on STR's.

Attached Thumbnails Just Bought a 2007 Jaguar S-Type R-2007-str.jpg  

Last edited by DVader; 08-19-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Clunks can be drop links or ARB (sway bar) bushes, both cheaply available. The rear ARBs are rather inaccessible, however.

There are threads about the other bushes with lots of info so go reading...

Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

You are aware of the under SC coolant hose?

Old 08-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Congrats. Is that the one from the Oak Tree?

Old 08-19-2016, 01:45 PM

Yeah, it is... How did you know?

Old 08-19-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Generally the upper front suspension bushes wear, but are not service parts available separately; they are part of the upper link that also contains the upper ball joint.

The lower ball joint is also not sold as a separate service part, but there are aftermarket sources for the ball joint requiring a press to fit.

Some of the lower arm bushes can be replaced separately with the use of a press.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVader
Yeah, it is... How did you know?

I was considering it for a bit, but I am kind of far and didn't get a chance to go see it.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 PM

I would also like to paint the chrome bits on the bumpers black to match the exterior color. Anyone know where to get the proper paint and maybe the proper procedure?

Old 08-20-2016, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

nice car , looks great . as for the chrome blades maybe get them rapt . or get some second hand painted blades from ebay.
plastic chrome is a very average paint base . and some one may want your chrome ones.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 PM

Would it be possible to just paint the chrome bits directly? And if so, where would I get paint that matches the exterior paint?

Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Would it be possible to just paint the chrome bits directly? And if so, where would I get paint that matches the exterior paint?
yes but the paint may flake . and will chip very easily . the paint code is in your left hand door shut on the i.d tag.
most automotive paint suppliers can mix to a code and put it in an aerosol can .
once again it won't be as good as the factory paint , as you can not mix 2k paint into an aerosol . it will be lacquer or enamel. it will need to be keyed,etched,primed-
and being a perl color it will need to be clear over base coat .
if you are not experienced or confidant at painting i would recommend getting a pro to tamper with the cosmetics of such a pretty car . or we may all be frowning/laughing at your next pictures you post .

The following users liked this post:
Dwayne Mason (05-05-2019)
Old 08-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would also like to paint the chrome bits on the bumpers black to match the exterior color. Anyone know where to get the proper paint and maybe the proper procedure?
Congratulations on your purchase. You have a very uncommon R. That chrome strip you are wanting to paint is part of the Luxury package which includes the chrome side view mirrors, wonderful upgraded leather and that fantastic burl wood I see on your steering wheel.

In months of nationwide searching I found only ONE R with that option and sadly I could not afford it.

It is your car but I hope you will be respectful of it and reconsider or remove and preserve any parts you feel need "upgrading". You might change your mind down the road or the next buyer might appreciate those very things you are changing. I know I would.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
Congratulations on your purchase. You have a very uncommon R. That chrome strip you are wanting to paint is part of the Luxury package which includes the chrome side view mirrors, wonderful upgraded leather and that fantastic burl wood I see on your steering wheel.

In months of nationwide searching I found only ONE R with that option and sadly I could not afford it.

It is your car but I hope you will be respectful of it and reconsider or remove and preserve any parts you feel need "upgrading". You might change your mind down the road or the next buyer might appreciate those very things you are changing. I know I would.
After my purchase I found the original window sticker in the glove box that lists MSRP, specs, installed packages, etc. I was aware of the luxury package installed on the car but I had no idea how rare it was to find a car with that package (it definitely makes me reconsider painting over the chrome bits)! After seeing pictures of other black STRs with the black bumper bits instead of chrome I liked the look of that and wanted that look on my car as well, especially for the front of the car. Would it be advisable to maybe buy some other secondhand chrome bits from ebay and paint and install those while preserving the ones that came with the car?

Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Would it be advisable to maybe buy some other secondhand chrome bits from ebay and paint and install those while preserving the ones that came with the car?

Sure, but you will have to rmove front and rear bumper covers to swap out bumper blades.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

That's why i said in post #9 to rap them .you can just peel it off when your done and it protects the chrome aswell and looks as good as paint , jagbits has the blades in chrome and in primer ready for paint new in stock .so there not irreplaceable , it is surprising what parts you can still buy new .
But as Rick said the bumper needs to be removed and the foam backing all so to gain access to the retaining clips ! If I were you I'd rap them black or leave them alone.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (09-20-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 PM

Will the chrome blades need to be removed in order to wrap them? (I apologize if this is a stupid question). Also, will the black wrap match the black on the car and how much would wrapping cost?

Old 08-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

No a professional would not need to remove them for rap .
also you would need to ask them if they can match the perl or not . But seriously I'd doubt you would notice if they were just gloss black !
My side markers are gloss black and so are my head light washer covers and you can not tell un till you put your face right up to them and even then they look really good .

Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 PM

I've noticed that at night, the window controls on the drivers side get quite warm to the touch during driving. Should I be worried?

Old 08-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Always better to not confuse the current thread with off topic stuff.

Do you have this TSB?
Might be your problem?

Attached Files