S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire(?) code question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire(?) code question

Hello and thanks in advance for any and all help! I had a CEL come on yesterday after I got onto the freeway. Everything seemed like it was driving fine but to avoid the potential of entering limp-home mode, we came back and parked it. After connecting my scanner, I came up with the following codes: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305, P1316, and P1111. The 0300-0305 codes were listed as generic and the other codes listed as other. I’m finding these codes as cylinder misfires, which if true all happen to be on the same side unfortunately, but am not sure about the others. Could someone please either confirm my findings for the code or help clarify so I can start to form a plan of attack. In case the details aren’t in my signature line, it is an ‘03 S-type, 3.0l V6, automatic trans. I am also going to verify the last date of a time-up to see if I may be lucky enough to just need to change plugs. Also, can anyone confirm that the coils are the same as the ones on the Lincoln LS of the same year?

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

In my experience, there is often only one problem coil pack and other (for want of a better term) "sympathetic" misfires indicated on adjacent cylinders. For a 2003, your scanner has indicated misfires on all cylinders on the left side of the engine as viewed from the front. This side is unfortunately under the intake manifold, which limits your opportunity to swap out coil packs to determine the problem units. I would consider replacing all three coils with OE quality parts, Denso, Jaguar OE, etc.; The R&R on the manifolding as 3+ hours, so playing around with cheap parts in not recommended. The Lincoln LS parts, I believe, will not fit a 2003 as four connector coil packs are used and the LS have only two pins. The above is the cylinder numbering chart from the tech manual:

The following 3 users liked this post by S-Type Owner:
Don B (04-04-2019), EssOess (04-05-2019), rallyStype (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the info and the pic for reference. My plan is to pick up new plugs and coils and replace them all at this point to avoid having to do this work in the other side in the future. Any ideas about the other codes or are those thrown any time other codes are thrown? Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

P1316 relates to excessive misfires and p1111 merely indicates that all systems are ready (for emissions purposes). Squaring away the misfiring plugs/coil-packs should get you squared away. Please don't forget to use new seals when re-installing the intake manifold. New IMT seal rings while the intake manifold is off are also a a good idea.

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Type Owner:
Don B (04-04-2019), EssOess (04-05-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Can someone please also help clarify what style gaskets the ‘03 3.0. V6 are for the intake manifold, the individual rings or the strip-style with three per gasket? Want to make sure I buy the right parts the first time for all this. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

The manifolding changed with the 2002.5 model, which is a 2003 here in the States; it appears that with the revised manifolding, the three individual rings are called for... A quick call to a dealer's parts department would be your best bet to confirm.

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Type Owner:
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Needs new coil packs, or mine did anyway

Auto zone, about $57 ea. for STR fitting (4 wire per unit) Coils. HIGHLY Suggest you change all 8. Simple job. I had a failure while 'under load' up hill in 118 deg. F. near Las Vegas Nv. on my way to South Dakota from L.A. Ca. My car didn't 'code' which I understand is not uncommon for failed Coil Packs (a friend with a Ford T Bird had the same problem) but I'd been down that road before, the feeling of failing Coil Packs that is. Bought an 8mm socket and 1/4" ratchet at Home Depot, stayed one extra day in HELL.....read Nevada in August....while AutoZone had 8 coil packs sent in then changed all 8 in about 40 min. in the parking lot with my 8mm socket setup. Done deal. Some one asked me "why didn't you just replace the bad one instead of all 8" Well first of all with no code poping up I didn't know which one was bad and for $57 x 8 units and 4,000 miles in front of me not to mention the 118 deg. F. I wasn't going to be standing by my broken STR on the side of the road for a guessing game. Coil packs have a life of about 85 to 100K miles. Once again i HIGHLY SUGGEST you replace all 8. It's a simple and easy job. Jaguar wants $499.00 per unit....or $4,000,00 for a job that will cost you about 10% of that and eat up only about 2 1/2 hours for someone with even the most basic novice mechanical skills.

APOLOGIES........V6 3.0L coil pack replacement is much more involved than V8 4.2 replacement. I've done both. NBCat helped me (greatly!! I might add) with the replacement (and so many other things) on my 2000 S Type V6 coil pack, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, and too many other things to list....A great and giving friend!

03 STR
00 S type 3.0L

Last edited by m.w.l.; 03-25-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:24 PM

HIGHLY SUGGEST ONLY OEM JAGUAR GASKETS. Non OEM gaskets fail in about 6 to 9 months and you get to do the whole thing over again. The OEM Jag gaskets are a wise investment. Look to member NBCat for suggestions on this. He is an Encyclopedia on just your issue.

03 STR
00 S type 3.0L

Old 03-26-2019, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by m.w.l.
HIGHLY SUGGEST ONLY OEM JAGUAR GASKETS. Non OEM gaskets fail in about 6 to 9 months
I have to disagree with the above. I have used FelPro after market gaskets and seals in many V6 S Types over the years. Not one has had a problem with failures.

The following 2 users liked this post by joycesjag:
Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Default Coil packs....Lincoln LS or not?

Originally Posted by rallyStype
Hello and thanks in advance for any and all help! I had a CEL come on yesterday after I got onto the freeway. Everything seemed like it was driving fine but to avoid the potential of entering limp-home mode, we came back and parked it. After connecting my scanner, I came up with the following codes: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0305, P1316, and P1111. The 0300-0305 codes were listed as generic and the other codes listed as other. I’m finding these codes as cylinder misfires, which if true all happen to be on the same side unfortunately, but am not sure about the others. Could someone please either confirm my findings for the code or help clarify so I can start to form a plan of attack. In case the details aren’t in my signature line, it is an ‘03 S-type, 3.0l V6, automatic trans. I am also going to verify the last date of a time-up to see if I may be lucky enough to just need to change plugs. Also, can anyone confirm that the coils are the same as the ones on the Lincoln LS of the same year?

Thank you!
I roll in a 03 STR and have installed and used Coil Packs from Auto Zone with great success. I looked up the part for your 03 S Type 3.0L and here you go (I'd just forget about the Lincoln LS crossover deal) The parts I've listed are Year, Make, and Model specific.....to your car. The first listing $169.99 all 6, second listing $199.99 all 6.

Depending on the miles on your car I'm betting the Coil Packs have not been changed. Unlike the V8 the V6 has the intake manifold over the #1,2,3 cylinders and, for me anyway, making it much more of a challenge to replace the Coil Packs. Regardless of what ever else is going on your misfire code are the same ones I was having and Coil Packs were the issue. And yes, be sure to replace the plugs (100K mile ones off of Amazon for me) at the same time.

Find all the information here:

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...lse&model=pack

• Part Number: C1402-6
  • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
  • Notes: Quantity per car: 1

• 4 Terminal connector. From serial #L86902 to M45254. This pack contains 6 ignition coils.
  • Part Number: C1346-6
  • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
  • Notes: Quantity per car: 1
    2 terminal connector. From serial #M45255. This pack contains 6 ignition coils. Kit
As to the gasket deal. Not having years,and years of Jag experience if our fellow member has found non Jag gaskets that work for him that's great. With out his knowledge and experience I was/am more than willing to spend the $'s for OEM Jaguar gaskets if for only the peace of mind and to keep that 'niggle' out of the back of my mind. All good info from fellow members!

03 STR
00 3.0L

Old 03-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Remember, unlike the British Jaguar V8, the AJ-V6 is actually produced in Ford's "Cleveland Engine Plant #2"; FelPro may be the OEM for this part for Ford.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-04-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
Remember, unlike the British Jaguar V8, the AJ-V6 is actually produced in Ford's "Cleveland Engine Plant #2"; FelPro may be the OEM for this part for Ford.
The Jaguar AJ-V6 is based on Ford's excellent Duratec engine, with the addition of VVT and other upgrades. Your '03 probably has the Denso 32-bit Engine Management System rather than the Visteon (Ford) PTEC EMS used on the '00-'02 V6s, so your original coils are probably Densos and your spark plugs are probably NGKs rather than the Motorcrafts used in the PTEC cars. With Jaguar engines it's always a good idea to use the same brand and model of spark plug as originally installed.

The Denso coils appear to be no longer available. For the V8s, Jaguar was supplying Airtex coils as replacements and they were available from Rock Auto for less than $35, but it appears they have been discontinued (Airtex is an OEM to the Big Three and others). I don't know what coils Jaguar is currently supplying as replacements for the V6s, but for the Denso EMS cars the NGK coils might be a good choice, and they're still available at Rock Auto in both 2-pin ($28) and 4-pin ($35) types.

Last edited by Don B; 04-05-2019 at 09:41 AM.
EssOess (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

The coil-packs are also still produced by Delphi, which is an OEM for many manufacturers:

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...73-MFG292.aspx

Old 04-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Not that it's likely to make much difference, but Delphi is a former General Motors division, Visteon is a former Ford division, and Denso was formerly fully-owned by Toyota. All of these companies were partially spun off by their former corporate owners so they could expand their businesses by selling to other automakers. Denso is now second only to Bosch as the largest OEM in the world:

Top 100 Automotive OEMs 2018

Cheers,

Don

EssOess (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Default Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I ended up with Bosch plugs I had bought previously for the car in anticipation of having to change plugs and am using the Duralast coils as they have a lifetime warranty so if they do fail again, I can get them replaced for free. I have had good luck with Mahle gaskets and could find them easily so that is what I’m using for the intake manifold and will also be disconnecting the throttle body for this so I am replacing that gasket as well, Mahle there too. As I’ve been fortunate right now to not need to drive the car, I am also taking the time to inspect everything else I can and clean where I can as well to spot any potential issues and reduce others. This is my first Jaguar by way of my wife’s parents after having the car from the dealership and have been in love with it since I first saw it. I really appreciate all the helpful information and am looking forward to having this great resource to help keep this beautiful machine on the toad for as long as I can! Thanks again and I will update if there are any issues with the said parts I’m using so those who recommended others can have their moment to gloat, haha, thanks again!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Not that it's likely to make much difference, but Delphi is a former General Motors division, Visteon is a former Ford division, and Denso was formerly fully-owned by Toyota. All of these companies were partially spun off by their former corporate owners so they could expand their businesses by selling to other automakers. Denso is now second only to Bosch as the largest OEM in the world:

Top 100 Automotive OEMs 2018

Cheers,

Don
Delphi is also a supplier to Daimler AG,or better known as Mercedes-Benz. I had to replace the engine wiring harness on a 400E and the replacement part was Delphi manufactured.

These days (and for quite some time now) auto manufacturers buy their technology "off the shelf," so Bosch, Denso (which used to be Nippon Denso,or ND) and others end up with components and systems installed in cars from around the world.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
Delphi is also a supplier to Daimler AG,or better known as Mercedes-Benz. I had to replace the engine wiring harness on a 400E and the replacement part was Delphi manufactured.

These days (and for quite some time now) auto manufacturers buy their technology "off the shelf," so Bosch, Denso (which used to be Nippon Denso,or ND) and others end up with components and systems installed in cars from around the world.
Delphi also made certain OE Jaguar parts, such as steering column modules, engine management components, fuel filters, and the Adaptive Cruise Control modules for the Jaguar X350s. Those ACC modules routinely failed, but overall Delphi components seem to be among the state-of-the-art at any given time.

Last edited by Don B; 04-05-2019 at 03:18 PM.
EssOess (04-05-2019)