S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No crank no start problem with a brand new battery in a 2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank no start problem with a brand new battery in a 2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0

hello my name is Craig I'm needing some help troubleshooting my brother's vehicle that was impounded by the Federal bureau of investigation about 2014 I just got it out about a year ago and I'm just now getting around to where I can work on it now this vehicle has got receipts and parts with the new motor transmission suspension and a bunch of other parts so he's put a lot of money in this vehicle so the vehicle should be a great vehicle my problem is is that after getting it back from the police impound they had tore out the automatic floor gear shifter which would not allow the vehicle to go into any gears wouldn't come out of park so I've got that part and then I also put on a new battery after installing the new battery I haven't put the gear shifter on yet but after installing I have power to the old car but when I want to turn it over it's like the car would not do anything and it almost like it killed the car when I turn it over and then when I let the key back off of trying to turn it over then the power came back on I'm just needing some advice and some help trying to troubleshoot this so I spend my money wisely to get this thing up and running anyone's advice or help would help out a bunch of my brother says that the keys were a second hand key program and buy a locksmith so he thinks it may be the key is not reading any car so it would that cause a no crank no start

Old 11-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Hello Craig, and welcome to the forum. Lots for us to digest there.

First off, the forum doesn't charge for punctuation or paragraph breaks. It's a little rough to translate the one long sentence you wrote. From what I gather, the car was partially disassembled, you've installed a new battery, but it's still missing the J-gate shifter assembly.

(Note how I ended that last paragraph and am starting a new one...)

The shifter is very important. The shifter assembly has some electronics that talk to the other computer modules. The main computer won't let the starter engage unless it knows the transmission is safely in P or N. Until then, nothing will happen until that important safety prerequisite is satisfied.

Also, put a charger on that battery, even if it is new. A new battery off the shelf typically only has a partial charge. These cars are VERY sensitive to prestart voltage, so save yourself some grief and charge that battery.

If the engine still won't start with the shifter installed and the battery fully charged, look at the indicator light for the security system. It's a small red light at the front edge of the dashboard. Post #60 in this long thread has details of what you should see if the security system is happy. It also has details of how to read out and interpret fault codes if present:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...3/#post1876674

Keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Wes Holstein (12-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

And somewhere - TSBs? - is a "no start" PDF. Very long but essential.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Hello Craig, and welcome to the forum. Lots for us to digest there.

First off, the forum doesn't charge for punctuation or paragraph breaks. It's a little rough to translate the one long sentence you wrote. From what I gather, the car was partially disassembled, you've installed a new battery, but it's still missing the J-gate shifter assembly.

(Note how I ended that last paragraph and am starting a new one...)

The shifter is very important. The shifter assembly has some electronics that talk to the other computer modules. The main computer won't let the starter engage unless it knows the transmission is safely in P or N. Until then, nothing will happen until that important safety prerequisite is satisfied.

Also, put a charger on that battery, even if it is new. A new battery off the shelf typically only has a partial charge. These cars are VERY sensitive to prestart voltage, so save yourself some grief and charge that battery.

If the engine still won't start with the shifter installed and the battery fully charged, look at the indicator light for the security system. It's a small red light at the front edge of the dashboard. Post #60 in this long thread has details of what you should see if the security system is happy. It also has details of how to read out and interpret fault codes if present:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...3/#post1876674

Keep us posted.
Thank you so much for you're your input and I will definitely get the automatic floor shifter installed and in check all the things that you said

Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

+1 on both suggestions above.

Another thing to look at once the starter can engage, is to check the fuel pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail at the engine. After such a long period of not running, the fuel pump is likely seized, the fuel in the tank should also be drained and replaced with fresh fuel and a new filter.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 607 Likes on 476 Posts

+1 on the above. All cars with automatic transmissions have a neutral safety switch, or "inhibitor switch," which only allows the car to be started in "park" and "neutral". Some cars have this switch as a component in/on the transmission and some have it in the shift quadrant assembly. I suspect that in the S-type the switching is done at the J-gate.

I am assuming the that the police/FBI used brute force to get the car out of "park" without the key and destroyed the shift quadrant in the process...

Old 11-24-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
+1 on both suggestions above.

Another thing to look at once the starter can engage, is to check the fuel pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail at the engine. After such a long period of not running, the fuel pump is likely seized, the fuel in the tank should also be drained and replaced with fresh fuel and a new filter.
Yeah I got the jag finally to crank but it's not getting fuel so the pump went out so I'm getting a fuel pump assembly

Old 11-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Wieber
Yeah I got the jag finally to crank but it's not getting fuel so the pump went out so I'm getting a fuel pump assembly

Craig,

Glad to hear you're making some progress. Before convincing yourself the pump has failed (may well be, as NBCat has suggested), please revisit the link in post #2 above.

The security system has two main modes to protect the car. Under some scenarios, it won't let the starter engage. (That may have been what you previously had.) Under other scenarios, the starter will run but the fuel pump is inhibited. This could be what you have now. Can't say for sure, but it's worth investigating.