S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noisy rear suspension.. common causes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default noisy rear suspension.. common causes?

I have had this noisy rear suspension problem for a long time.. It's getting worse and I want to nip it in the bud.. my question is what needs to be replaced.. I bought the rear stabilizer links and was going to buy the tie rods as well and tackle them at once. I decided to change these parts because they are the cheapest components out of all my guesses, But before I do this and still have the same problem, my question to the more experience people here is. are these components known for causing the creak/squeaking sound over bumps and hard turns.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Sonspit (02-25-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes. Do those first and see what changes.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear lower control arm bushing is my first thought. They make a terrible low speed squeak over even the smallest bumps. The video previously posted should help find your noise.

Sonspit (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by xstatic
Rear lower control arm bushing is my first thought. They make a terrible low speed squeak over even the smallest bumps. The video previously posted should help find your noise.
Know where to get the bushings?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 AM

Here's some from ebay. When I got them replaced the shop we took it to charged an hour labor and got both sides even though only one side was making noise. Figured if one side went, the other was soon to follow. Good luck.
Jaguar s Type Rear Lower Control Arm Fluid Hydrabushes Bushing Bushings Set 2 | eBay

Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some from ebay. When I got them replaced the shop we took it to charged an hour labor and got both sides even though only one side was making noise. Figured if one side went, the other was soon to follow. Good luck.
Jaguar s Type Rear Lower Control Arm Fluid Hydrabushes Bushing Bushings Set 2 | eBay
I bought some replacement bushings (3 per control arm) for the rear lower control arms as I also have the terrible creak/squeak but when I took them to the shop and asked for a quote they told me the labour alone to remove/replace the lower control arms would be 2 hours per side and another hour to press the bushings in and out. Total 5 hours labour for both sides and the parts were $300 so over $800 just to replace bushings??? I was just going to do it myself after I got that quote but I'm glad to hear you got it done for both in one hour I will definetely shop around for another estimate. I'm thinking perhaps a place that specializes in suspension might be better than a generic repair shop?

Also they told me I need an alignment after it's done too? Is that required after re & re lower rear control arms & stabilizer links?

With that quote I really don't trust anything that shop says now but they also said it needs radius arm bushings which I am not sure what they are exactly? And they told me the upper control arm bushings are going to be ba soon as well and I might as well get them done too - again I find it hard to trust anything they say and will get a second opinion.

I also have the sway bar links already and I plan to buy the stabilizer bar and rubbers as I figure I might as well do them at the same time.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by stevedask
I bought some replacement bushings (3 per control arm) for the rear lower control arms as I also have the terrible creak/squeak but when I took them to the shop and asked for a quote they told me the labour alone to remove/replace the lower control arms would be 2 hours per side and another hour to press the bushings in and out. Total 5 hours labour for both sides and the parts were $300 so over $800 just to replace bushings??? I was just going to do it myself after I got that quote but I'm glad to hear you got it done for both in one hour I will definetely shop around for another estimate. I'm thinking perhaps a place that specializes in suspension might be better than a generic repair shop?

Also they told me I need an alignment after it's done too? Is that required after re & re lower rear control arms & stabilizer links?

With that quote I really don't trust anything that shop says now but they also said it needs radius arm bushings which I am not sure what they are exactly? And they told me the upper control arm bushings are going to be ba soon as well and I might as well get them done too - again I find it hard to trust anything they say and will get a second opinion.

I also have the sway bar links already and I plan to buy the stabilizer bar and rubbers as I figure I might as well do them at the same time.
Same here..waiting till I get the tie rods. To tackle the sway bar stabilizer links and tie rods at once.. and yes an alignment is needed afterwards.. If I still have the noise after those two then I well be replacing the bushings.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by stevedask

Same here..waiting till I get the tie rods. To tackle the sway bar stabilizer links and tie rods at once.. and yes an alignment is needed afterwards.. If I still have the noise after those two then I well be replacing the bushings. Also starting to get a loud rattling coming from front suspension.. and squeaking going low speeds.. just embarrassing.. but she's still pretty and gets compliments :-)

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

xstatic - have you been happy with these since the installation? Have you noticed any difference in quality of your ride? Would you buy these again? Thanks for your time! Steve

Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
xstatic - have you been happy with these since the installation? Have you noticed any difference in quality of your ride? Would you buy these again? Thanks for your time! Steve
The rear squeak is gone, she rides the same as before the replacement without the noise. Hopefully I'll never have to buy them again and yes they work.

Trying a bit of preventative maintenance yesterday on the bushings for the rest of the car.She is getting up there in age after all. I sprayed ATP AT-205 over all the bushings in the front and back after a good cleaning now that winter is over. Figured I was taking the wheels off anyways to put on the all seasons back on and changed the brakes to ceramic ones. The Brembos really collect brake dust. A friend of mine told me about it after the rear lower control arm bushings were replaced, of course. I would have tried it first after his story of not replacing his and just spraying this on his bushings that were squeaking. Now I am noticing a difference, a big one in fact. The ride is smoother and feels more luxurious for $10. Will it last? I don't know.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-23-2015)