S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parasitic battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Parasitic battery drain

Thanks to the Forum, I have solved the problem with the flashing lights, as nted in the post below. Very stupid of me - it was a burned out directional bulb. (I build houses but know precious little about cars).

So the only problem continues to be the parasitic battery drain. It only drains if I leave the lamp sensor/timer on. Not a big deal, just make sure the headlamps are turned off when parked, the old fashioned way. But is there a fix for this without returning it to the dealer at $175 per hour for repair??

I have a 2001 S Type with 110K miles. Battery drains rather rapidly when not in use (took 36 hours to fully charge with a battery tender, as it was draining while charging). (It is a good, new battery)

Not sure if this is related, but the only other thing not working properly is that the left headlight doesn't blink and the horn doesn't honk when locking/unlocking the car with the remote on the key fob. The car locks/unocks fine with the remote and the horn and headlights otherwise work, so this is a minor issue unless it is causing the battery drain.

Can anyone help a new forum member??

Last edited by moranlr; 02-17-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: solved part of the problem
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you post an intro over on the New Members section for a proper welcome. As an added bonus, it will alert the mods to your presence and speed your post-count along toward the 10 required for full status, thus allowing you to open attachments etc.

Plenty of info here in the S-Type section on your issue. The causes, as you'll find with extensive reading are legion. However, the leading contender seems to be the ignition switch. Check to see if the little cover flap is dropping back into place after you remove the key. That is one indicator, but it could be working fine and your switch could still be rubbish. Search is your best friend, I'd suggest "Battery" though that will pull you a lot of EPB fault and xmsn fault threads as well...maybe search within those for "drain."

The following users liked this post:
moranlr (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 10:40 AM

How do I post an intro in the new members section? I can't seem to find the place to do it. Sorry for the ignorance on my part.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Start with the simple things, like aholbro1 says, ignition switch is known fault, make sure you have no lights staying on, boot / trunk, glove box, etc..

The s type has modules that shut down over roughly a 40 min period, something is not shutting down, maybe feel the relays after 10 to 15 mins to check for a warm one to give you a clue as to which module is not going to sleep

moranlr (02-17-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Go here: New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
In upper right portion of the page, you'll find "Forum Tools" click it. From the drop-down, choose "Post a new thread" and then just have at it...tell us a bit about yourself, or how you came to have a Jag, or what drew you to the forum....whatever...just a free-form, "I'm here, how y'all doin' etc, etc." You'll get links to specific sections in return probably including instructions how to add your car details to your signature...it's good all 'round.

Here's how I addressed it, but I'm pretty well convinced I didn't have parasitic drain, only multiple (VERY) short trips always at night:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-s-type-64372/
Since fitting, only one no-start, that after a week of dark, rainy days and her leaving the headlights on overnight. But her brother is also enrolled there now, so he went 'round and jumpstarted it for her, drove it about a half-hour and has been all good since

Last edited by aholbro1; 02-15-2014 at 11:14 AM.
moranlr (02-17-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=moranlr;912004]I have a 2001 S Type with 110K miles. Battery drains rather rapidly when not in use (took 36 hours to fully charge with a battery tender, as it was draining while charging). (It is a good, new battery)

Just because a battery is new does not mean its "good" I would exchange it for another. Just tell them it doesn't hold a charge

Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Default Update from original poster

With all your help here is what I have learned.

The battery doesn't drain (at least not significantly) if I leave the exterior lighting switch in the off (C) position. (i.e.,not on auto sensor (B) or lamp delayed exit (C).

This leads me back to the other issue as it is also light related? The left headlight doesn't flash when locking/unlocking the car with the key fob or when the Hazard warning is turned on. Every other light flashes as they should. And the left headlight works when in normal use.

Another puzzle; while the horn no longer chirps when locking the car (it works fine when activated on the steering wheel or the by the alarm system), yesterday it did chirp (just once) while resetting the seat/steering wheel memories with the key fobs. It is not currently "chirping"

Any suggestions as to where I go from here? Many thanks.

Last edited by moranlr; 02-17-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 AM

Thanks, that is the first thing I did. Had a new battery replaced by another (had it checked out after installing) before I realized the issue was a parasitic drain.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

the auto lights seem to be a common cause of battery drain.

your headlights shouldnt flash when the hazard warning lights are switched on, sounds like you have some sort of wiring problem.

your horn shouldnt sound when setting seat memories

Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

When your car has been off for about 30 - 45 minutes - feel the relays in the trunk. If you find one that is hot or warm to the touch - trace the feeds that are on that relay.

Also, what kind of voltage are you getting when the car is running? Should be at least 13.5V - anything less could point towards the alternator not putting out the required voltage to keep the car electronics happy.

Also, short distance driving on these cars tends to slowly kill the battery...

Hope the above points you in the right direction.