S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park / brake interlock

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park / brake interlock

Hi all. Currently trying to get my 2005 jaguar s-type 4.2l ready for inspection. I have no codes, but I’m struggling with the drive cycle for a test - the component monitor test is what my obd monitor calls it. I found the pdf for the drive cycle, and my car doesn’t complete the first instruction. It says I should have the car in park with the ignition on, don’t touch the brake and try to take it out of park. It’s supposed to be stuck in park according to the pdf. Mine happily moves into gear - reverse, neutral, drive, etc.

I don’t have anything else weird going on with the car - but after completing the rest of the drive cycle the test still shows “Inc”, and it needs to be “Pass” for emissions in my state

the pdf I amusing was linked from another thread - it’s https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachments/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/21852d1343535294-2005-s-type-sport-drive-cycle-obdii-drive-cycles-denso-ems.pdf

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? Or if there is a component broken on my car that I haven’t noticed? Has this drive cycle worked for others with 4.2l S-type?

Old 10-30-2023, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,996 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure why the monitor won’t complete. I’m also confused why that PDF even looks at the shift lever interlock. That is a safety item but has zero effect on emissions.

How much have you driven the car since the last time the monitor was reset? My ‘02 V6 won’t be the same, but I’ve noticed the monitor can be VERY slow to complete after clearing any codes or having the battery disconnected. I’ve tried the official drive cycle to a letter, all to no avail. Maybe I didn’t hop around the car on one foot correctly while waving the paper bag of chicken hearts over my head. What finally satisfied the monitor was simply driving my regular pattern for several days.

Back to that interlock. Still perplexed why it’s even part of that document. I’m not aware of any direct feedback for the interlock solenoid position. The solenoid receives a command to energize and let the shift lever move out of P, but that’s it. The only possible feedback is indirect, with the computer seeing the shift lever either moving or not.

If this indirect feedback is actually part of the required drive cycle (I’m still skeptical), what if you tricked the system? Leave the shift lever in P when asked to try moving it, as if it really was locked. The computer is satisfied with the response and moves on.

Last edited by kr98664; 10-30-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Originally Posted by AlienTx
Hi all. Currently trying to get my 2005 jaguar s-type 4.2l ready for inspection. I have no codes
With any unset (aka incomplete) monitor some (often many) codes cannot be flagged.

So, you may or may not have codes which would flag if only that one unset monitor would set (aka complete).

Sometimes they appear as Pending codes but you'd have mentioned them so not in this case, sadly.

Something seems wrong with your gear shift interlock. You can go hunting (by all means) but of itself I don't see it affecting the monitor - unless it means the TCM & PCM (aka ECM) are confused about what is going on with the shift position. (Or not confused but seeing a consistent but wrong position.)

The list of actions in that PDF are about getting the TCM to learn. Unless you've cleared the TCM (and you appear to have no device that can do so) then I think you can ignore the gear shifts.

So, that leaves the (slight?) possibility that the gear shift issue matters or there's more to the CCM - which there is.

Just saving this for now as I go off to read elsewhere...

OK, try this PDF

Attached Files

Last edited by JagV8; 10-30-2023 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jagv8 - thanks. I think that service bulletin will really help. I’ve been trying to get component to complete, but EVAP is also showing as incomplete - and I chose to try to solve component first - mainly b/c it looked like the component drive cycle would also complete Evap. I’ll try and get the Evap cycle completed and see if that completes both tests. Not sure what I’m missing on the Evap drive cycle, but I’ll give it a shot next time I’m working on the car