Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Throttle Body on 2006 STR

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Removing Throttle Body on 2006 STR

Followed the supercharger removal instructions but stuck at Throttle Body. Instructions say remove IAC connector but im not sure which one that is. From there it gives no guidance fir the TB.

Any hints on what needs to be done to get the TB off?

Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

If I remember correctly there are 4 bolts that hold it down. Your second picture shows one of them. I would remove that fender brace to get more clearance.
Once you remove these 4 bolts you'll be able to better see and remove any connectors to it.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

there are only two electrical connectors both visible from the top , there are also two coolant hoses connected to the side of the TB,
as well as
the four bolts Blackcat mentioned , thats it!

Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Datsports
there are only two electrical connectors both visible from the top , there are also two coolant hoses connected to the side of the TB,
as well as
the four bolts Blackcat mentioned , thats it!
Thanks. It looked that easy but I wanted to nake sure. I have a few days before the parts come in so I have some time to play

Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM

If I remember correctly those TB bolts are also the same ones used for the EGR. These round very easily so be careful on the EGR. Fortunately I went to Home Depot and they happen to have the exact same bolts. I would also order new bolts that connect the elbow to the rear of the supercharger If I were you (Home Depot won't have these ). Also invest in bolt extracting sockets; these have saved my butt on a couple of occasions and definitely paid for themselves.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
If I remember correctly those TB bolts are also the same ones used for the EGR. These round very easily so be careful on the EGR. Fortunately I went to Home Depot and they happen to have the exact same bolts. I would also order new bolts that connect the elbow to the rear of the supercharger If I were you (Home Depot won't have these ). Also invest in bolt extracting sockets; these have saved my butt on a couple of occasions and definitely paid for themselves.
Put the 2 best bolts (with the least rounded points) on the EGR - difficult access there. If the other 4 are still OK use them on the throttle body - easy access. The heater hoses need to be unclamped and held back with a bungee cord or wire to get at the EGR bolts. I also had to unbolt the heater hose brackets along the inside right frame rail to get them to pull back enough.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys! I bought 4 new bolts for the back of the blower since they were sealing bolts. I didnt want to have to do this twice.

I have a pretty good set of various sized and shaped easy outs just in case. Ive been collecting tools for years. Just got a two post lift!

I didnt buy the 2” bypass hose from the throttle body to the the Intake. Its Pn AJ82756. It was $40 but the old one appeared good. Still 100,000 miles on it. I should buy one. Whatchathink?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Yes, buy the hose. You don't want to do that job twice...

Old 07-12-2019, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member

Throttle body is off. Half the Egr is off (tube end). Gonna get more done today

Last edited by Aarcuda; 07-12-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

What a PAIN IN THE ***!!! Ive had the bolts and nuts off since 10 am. Finally managed to get the damn thing out. It was jammed in there something fierce!!

Old 07-12-2019, 03:53 PM

Check that exhaust to egr tube for cracks and leaks. It's a common issue on these.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Check that exhaust to egr tube for cracks and leaks. It's a common issue on these.
amen to that.....got mine with a small leak to be fixed when weather cools in October.....not throwing a code yet, but I can hear it real lightly when egr is closed.....been reading every egr related post getting ready for it

Old 07-13-2019, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

The more I look at Aarcuda's threads and photos the less enthusiasm I have for doing this. He's providing the gory details most of the other threads left out. He's got a garage and a lift. I'm doing this on my pavers driveway, on a pair of jacks stands, with a sometimes shade cover I have to put up and take down every day, all under great protest from a lot of people including my wife. It's really a shame that this repair requires so much disassembly and that the "while your at it" quotient rises so quickly.

Given the amount of stuff that needs to get "touched" I'd be very hesitant to farm this out. I think you could count on follow on failures due to sloppy assembly. Not to mention probable cosmetic damage.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Its tough. But im posting pics and showing where the ratchets and extensions worked on the STR.
Ike you said, many of the pists left off critical info.

The Egr pipe nuts are a 12 mm not 10mm as written somewhere. The EGR bolts are 8 mm. Not 10mm.

10mm swivel headed wrench will get the two BRACET BOLTS on the sides of the supercharger elbow. Im not sure anyone ever mentioned those.

Also remove the damn heater hoses from the firewal and passenger side frame rail. It makes a HUGE DIFF

remove every electrical connector you can out back. Youll need the slavk later. .

ALSO REMOVE THE 2 small 10 mm nuts holding the plastic wire loom to the back of the throttle body bracket. Without it the egr is locked in place. It wiggles but wont budge until you lossen that loom up

Old 07-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

I don't have swivel headed stuff so I'm headed over to pick up some. I doubt I'll buy the super compact style like you have shown though. I also need a set of deep sockets as that air cleaner housing has very long studs ...

The thermostat crossover piece came out OK. Thankfully those torx headed bolts are nothing like the the ones on the actual thermostat elbow. Either someone already had this off or they didn't use loctite on these.

So now I'm trying to remove the center air intake horn. I got the top rear clamp loosened way up and sprayed some WD40 on it to hopefully allow it to release. I assume the bottom one stays as is? Then on the front that big rubber donut got sprayed as well and I'll try and wiggle the thing free. It's out.

I was thinking that the main electrical connector in front of the cabin air box should get loosened. I got two of the bolts out for the bracket and have now discovered a 3rd bolt back where the sun don't shine. Never mind this it came out OK WO moving this ... for now ...

Working on modern cars like this is sheer punishment what with all the sharp edges and lack of access.

Not a lot of corrosion or crude on my cooling system so that's good but all the hoses are getting replaced. Which probably means the front bumper has to come off ... Been there already a couple of times for the HID headlamps.

Off to the tool store and up next is all the electrical connectors near the throttle body then a look again at everybody's notes.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Get 6 point sockets not 12.. I unbolted that electrical connector and moved it aside connected.
Ya thats how the intake piececomes off- up in back as you slide forward off the pin on the blower
good luck

im sore as hell
im 6'6" so bending over and crawling and reaching and leaning SUCKS.. plus my hands are like brear paws so they get stuck behind the motor. a lot

Old 07-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

So I'm at the remove the TB stage now.
My car is up on jack stands and I'm not 6'6" so I now need a platform to be able to even see back there. I got the smaller electrical connector off of the TB but in just touching it the retaining tab broke ...

Then another part of the connector cracked and almost fell in!

The other side which is much larger came right off just great.

So I guess I have to find the two hose connections and detach them then the 4 bolts from above. I see the crimp on hose connectors.
Looks like those pop open with a screw driver? Note sure what to do when reassembling. Probably Norma screw hose clamps.

Here's what mine looks like so far. You will, note that side of one of the intercoolers looks very dirty as though that seal had been leaking or perhaps from the intake manifold below?

Old 07-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Im thinking our pcv valves are leaking and causing oil mist there. My valve cover is oily by the pcv valve.

I left the vacuum tube in the base of the throttle body elbow that goes to the brake booster until it was out of the car. Then I get it out easy

Last edited by Aarcuda; 07-15-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

So it looks like I'm only halfway ON THE THROTTLE BODY. UGH! I got the upper butterfly valve part off. That part you're showing is still bolted to the back of the supercharger.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but none of these threads really show how to do this except for the easiest parts. I'm looking at his now and I can't even spot the EGR valve and I haven't clue how to get the supercharger off. Two bolts on the front is all I see then there's this bottom half of the throttle body that appears to be bolted to the back of the SC? But there are still so many hoses and wiring harnesses that I just can't see anything. It's a hell of a mess. Even though some of these pieces were hard to get off they'll be even worse to get back on.

I took the heater hoses off but I still can't see a GD thing.

Clearly all of this was assembled with the engine out of the car and then engine was probably slipped in from below on a front sub frame?
This car wasn't meant to be serviced, just driven till it broke something bad like this.and thrown away. It's criminal that's a simple hose but there's nothing simple about replacing this hose. It's STR's Achilles's heel.

I go on vacation for 10 days on Thursday when I come back I have a hard decision to make. This car is looking like it just needs to go away. Another Kars For Kids donation I guess.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

You can do this. Relax. I have pucs to show. Its easy from here on out. Let me know when youre ready. Im cleaning parts to get ready to go back together

Quick Reply: Removing Throttle Body on 2006 STR