Sponsored by:

S-Type Fuel Pump(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: S-Type Fuel Pump(s)

Harry,

It's very common to pull tanks to replace fuel pumps. Such is the case in my 91 GMC, 02 Ford Focus, and every Jag starting in mid 1991. It's more common to pull tanks to replace a fuel pump than not now days regardless of manufacturer.

There are two pumps (sort of) in the S-type type. One is designated fuel pump and the other is designated as a fuel sending unit, but for all practical purposes, you have two pumps. My guess is the dealer is doing both while they are in there. They may not know which of the two is bad and want to do both since the labor would be the same. If they guess at one and miss, you will throw an absolute fit when they want to charge labor a second time on pulling the tank again.

The pricing is a little high, but not crazy. We have the pumps new (OE Jaguar) for $466 and $288. That comes to $754. Sounds like 4 hours or so labor is what they are charging, so that's probably about right. You may save a little on the labor going to an independent shop, but the pumps must come from Jag (no aftermarket available) so you you are pretty much hung with those prices.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading this post from 2007, thought I would add a few corrections. 1. My 2003 Jaguar S type V6 has two fuel pumps located under the back seat, there is no need to drop the fuel tank, and no tools are required to remove the back seat, one only needs to push a latch under the front part of the cushion and it can be lifted up. 2. There are two fuel pumps one on the left and right side under the front part of the cushion. 3. No need to replace the entire sending unit, you can order just the pump unit for under $20 on Amazon, or pay $100-150 at your local auto parts store saving hundreds of dollars. 3. The fuel pump exchanges with a Ford fuel pump number E2226.

Hopefully this will help someone else!
-Roger

The following 2 users liked this post by Roger Sprunt:
fluty (07-09-2018), Sheff928 (05-07-2022)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S - type fuel pumps

There is a left and right side pump in the s type. The right side is the main pump that delivers the fuel to the rails, and the left side is a traransfer type pump. Both of wich are located under the rear seat and are easily accessed without dropping the tank.
Originally Posted by ht4
my mother owns a 2001-3 (somewhere in there) jag s-type 3.0. She recently had some problems with stalling. The first couple times it stalled on her, it started up after a few hours. Most recently, after it stalled, it would not start again.

She took the car to the jaguar dealership and they told her it would cost $1,300 to fix. They told her that both fuel pumps died and they had to remove the gas tank to replace the pumps. While tinkering with cars (mostly performance mods) is a hobby of mine, i have no experience at all with jags, so i am turning to you all for help. This does not sound right to me at all, and i want to make sure she is not getting hosed.

First, i have never seen a car where you have to remove the gas tank to replace a fuel pump. Is the s-type set up in this way? If so, the engineers who designed it should lose their jobs.

Second, the dealership described a dual pump setup in which one fuel pump pumps fuel into a secondary tank where a second pump pressurizes the rails. I am very familliar with surge tank setups (in fact i installed one in one of my cars), but i have never heard of any car that came with a setup like this from the factory (at least not one that wasn't designed for some hardcore track duty).

Third, even with buying new pumps, $1,300 seems like way too much money for a job like that.

Any thoughts on what i described above would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Harry

Old 01-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

This is a very old thread.

Just to be perfectly clear, the normally aspirated X200 has ONE fuel pump on the RH side of the vehicle that can be accessed by removing the plastic inspection cover under the rear seat lower cushion.

The supercharged X202 had TWO fuel pumps, one on either side of the vehicle that can also be accessed by removing the rear seat lower cushion and plastic inspection covers.

The following 3 users liked this post by NBCat:
GGG (01-03-2021), motorcarman (01-02-2021), S-Type Owner (01-03-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 02:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry,

I have a 2003 S-type 3.0 Jaguar, and you do not need to remove the gas tank to replace the fuel pump. There are dual fuel pumps under the rear seat, and most likely you only need to replace the primary one located on the right side of the car, as this is the pump that feeds the fuel rail. If you try to buy the fuel pump from the dealer they will try to sell you the full assembly for around $500. However I bought a fuel pump online for about $20, and replaced the one in my car. The trick is finding a fuel pump with the proper wiring connectors that have the same key configuration, but some come with adapter kits. Note that at the time the S-type was produced in 2003, the Jaguar brand was owned by Ford Motor company, so it will be helpful to know that both the Jaguar S-Type and Lincoln LS have exactly the same 3.0L engine, and the fuel pumps are also located in the exact same location on both cars. In my research I found the Lincoln LS fuel pump is almost identical except the electrical connectors are have a slightly different key configuration. I believe that Ford does make a fuel pump that will work in the Jaguar.

In addition before changing out the fuel pump consider changing out the inline fuel filter first. The fuel filter is located under the front left wheel well, beneath the plastic liner close to the front left door. The fuel filter can be purchased at most auto stores like Autozone. Also check your OBDII codes to make sure the problem is not something else besides the fuel pump. Hope this helps and good luck.

-Roger

The following users liked this post:
Sheff928 (05-07-2022)
Old 01-04-2021, 02:34 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

As mentioned in post 5 above, the X200 normally aspirated vehicles have only ONE fuel pump, which is located on the RH side of the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (01-04-2021)