S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Nav touch screen retrofit completed - with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Safi
newby here, but where did you find a Nav unit? if you dont mind me asking
eBay mate. Loads on there.

But the RCCM is the hard part to find.

Tris

Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the 2005 come prewired

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

All the S-Types should be prewired

Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Not pre-wired for Nav. It's a separate loom completely.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kkoala
sat nav from jaguar is so crap.Its not even the graphic which is really poor but the way of finding the route leaves a lot to say...and I got the newest one 2011/2012 cd and this not gives me changes what have been made 3 years ago...
I bought kenwood unit with garmin, and it lets me to add the side camera what is the really good function for overtaking in Europe (I live in the UK and drive left side).
What Im trying to say this is the equipment from 2003 and probably in that year it was really tool, but this was 9 years ago...
Hi Kkoala,
did you find the way to take out the Nav module and replace it with a Climate Control Unit + new 2 Din module? I would be very interested in doing the same and you are right, I did not find the topic covered so far.
Many thanks for help
David

Old 11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dato, when you get a moment stop by our new members area and introduce yourself ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

You might find some more information on this swap in the X-Type section too.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-info-102632/

Old 08-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Default Losing My Nav to get Carplay

Originally Posted by kkoala
…I checked the technical info about my model and it looks like it has the rccm module fitted above the glove box. The pin are exactly the same like on my separate climate control unit, what I bought from the different model ( without sat-nav fitted). There is a plenty of cable as well. It only needs to be removed and you can connect those cables straight into your separate climate unit.
I know this thread is 3 years old - time flies, eh? But I'm hoping you will reply and let me know how your install has worked.

I'm trying to do the same in an XJ8 VDP, and can buy the standard non-nav climate control unit on eBay. You essentially took the cable from the rccm and plugged it directly into your non-nav climate control model? That's awesome.

I don't know if I have the rccm or not, but my question is, where was that cable coming from the RCCM plugged into prior? Do the back of the NAV system? Or?

I also see the ISO adapter you bought, and will get one of these, it seems that it would be that easy to just adapt the unit plugging into the NAV system/or audio portion and plug this new plug into a new Pioneer, for example, Bluetooth equipped Carplay compatible unit?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Doesn't the XJ have different modules, different connectors, different etc etc?

The elec. guide seems to say so. You'd be better in the right forum if so!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2000 S-type Nav unit.

I understand this topic is old, but I'm looking for new info.
When I purchased this s-type, the previous owner had removed the original Nav unit screen. From the little I've read about this system. There is another component that it needs where a CD is inserted.
If that is correct. Where is this unit mounted?
The previous owner has modified the bezel and mounted a Garmin. The Garmin seems to work fine other then the fact that it is hard to view due to it's small size and flush mount closer to the passenger.
Now what I am considering is removing the OEM cassette radio and installing a new CD touch screen with GPS. Then finding a replacement storage unit for the slot where the Nav was. I'm thinking that I would be way ahead on the technology compared to the OEM nav.
Any thoughts on this? And if so. Does anyone have a recommendation on an aftermarket unit.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Just pick any non-Jag thing you like, as the 2000MY would be CD-based satnav with no updates for over 10 years.

PLEASE START A NEW THREAD if you have more issues as your car is NOT like the others above.

The following users liked this post:
Axle (08-12-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Question shuttle s-type

Can you tell me how do I get in touch with Jostaffs to purchase a wiring loom to retrofit s-type sat nav

Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2000 S-type Nav unit.

Sorry Shuttle, but I really haven't gotten that far on this project.

I've received some great info on this forum for other issues. But with this NAV unit issue, clear answers have eluded me.
So I plan to replace the factory radio with a new touch screen audio unit that has GPS.
Ordered a storage tray to go where the NAV unit was because all I hear is that Nav updates are no longer available for this model and year.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I'd say that is the way to go rather than install an expensive outdated unit.

While you are pondering that shuttle, welcome to the forum and maybe an intro in the new members area would be good?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by TristanC
Hi everyone, just thought this may be of interest to some of you.

Here are some pics of the touch screen navigation retrofit I completed yesterday.

The car didn't have any pre-wiring, no cd changer, nothing at all in the boot. But this retrofit worked like a charm with the help of a custom plug and play wiring loom that can be made up at home!!
Instructions for the loom are over on the UK forum in the x-type section. (loom is identical) the loom was made up for me by jostaffs on the UK forum.

So for your viewing pleasure, here's my retrofit:

1. The standard climate control unit and stereo

2. Start by removing the cup holder, one of the screws for the centre console is hidden under here:

3. Remove the screw under the cup holder and the one located in the main compartment at the back left.

4. Lift out the centre console and unplug the 12v socket and set the console aside

5. Now remove the trim from around the gear stick. It just pops up. I lifted the ashtray and pulled gently from the front to start with. Then work your way round.
You could also use a flat blade screw driver, protected with a cloth to prevent scratching. It's held in place with 4 clips. 2 front, 2 back.
You can see the 4 locations of the clips at each corner of the gear selector in the second picture for your reference.

6. Start to pull the main surround away. This just unclips from several locatons. A couple at the top, a couple on the sides and a couple near to the park brake lever.

7. Unbolt the four 7mm bolts holding the unit in place and slide out. Disconnect all the wires.
You will also need to unscrew the bottom switch pack that houses the hazzards. This will need to be screwed on to the bottom of the the nav screen unit. just 2 torx screws for this, no need to unlug it from anywhere.
SORRY - No pics for this part :-(

8. After you've routed the loom, plugged in the DVD, plugged all the cables into the nav screen and then plugged in the RCCM, give it a go, to make sure it works before bolting it all back together!

9. Secure the Nav screen in place

10. Do the reverse of the above to put everything back.......

11. Sit back and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Tris
Excellent, I do not quite know my way around this Forums yet, can you tell me how to get in touch with jostaffs I need to obtain a wiring loom to carry out the same job as you.
Retro satnav into 2007XS S-Type.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:24 AM
Default sat nav conversion

Tristan C you have almost answered my question, can you tell me where the Ariel goes and did you have to fit the CD reader in the boot?

One for sale complete on EBay for £300 and don't want to buy unless I am confident of fitting it. Do you have the link for the wiring harness??

Hope you can help

Mick

Old 06-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not been around here often!

Ok, the aerial goes in the parcel shelf. Nightmare to remove, so I literally just pushed it through the gaps you see in the boot while looking up. All these years on and it's still working flawlessly.
And no, I didn't have to fit the CD Changer.

I don't have the link for the wiring harness - that was made by jostaffs over on the UK Jag forum. I believe there are blueprints there for the Sat Nav retrofit write up on the X-Type. These will be the same blueprints used to make my S-Type loom. As they are the same looms for this application.

Good luck!!
Tris

Old 06-22-2016, 01:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A nice piece of work and a well explained procedure but I'm at a loss to understand why you would want to do that.

The Jag satnav, while not bad for a 15 year old unit is nowhere near as good as modern units and the maps will get more and more out of date. Surely much better to put a decent modern unit in instead which will give you far superior features and will be regularly updated. Not to mention the fact that it will work out much the same cost if not cheaper, especially if you have to pay someone to do the work.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:24 PM

You said "Instructions for the loom are over on the UK forum in the x-type section. (loom is identical) the loom was made up for me by jostaffs on the UK forum."

I was serching and I cant find it. Can u give me the link if you have it, please?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:50 PM

could one retrofit one to a 2000 jag s type or not.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake Bias
could one retrofit one to a 2000 jag s type or not.
No, not the one in this thread...

Your only recourse would be to source a nav unit from a wrecker (1999 - 2002) but honestly not worth it... It goes where the cassette holder door is...

Quick Reply: Sat Nav touch screen retrofit completed - with pics.