S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this strange

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is this strange

On my 2007 STR my iphone 4S is not one that is listed but the i-phone 4 is. I have been advised that if I use my 4S it will give a problem and could cause a major fault. I wonder what the difference between the 4 & 4S is that can cause this problem. The 4S has Siri and I noted somewhere that someone had shut off Siri and it worked OK. I use a parrot connected to my visor works very well but just a pain that I can't use my 4S.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
GGG
Received 16,819 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Isn't the Bluetooth installation the only non hardwired connection system on the vehicle? If so, the only way it's going to interfere or interface with the electronics is by telepathy!

The suggestion that the 4S (and other current phones) may cause a major fault is more likely to be Jaguar diverting attention away from the inadequacy of their telephone equipment.

Graham

Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Received 6,257 Likes on 5,457 Posts

The parrot on the visor would divert my attention!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Better than a penguin on the telly!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Better than a penguin on the telly!

Here in the UK it is a well know fact that a Penguin on the tele improves the reception. In my area of the UK we use two Penguins to improve satelite reception even better if they hold hands.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM

My i-phone saga continues the audio quality from the unit is cr@p. As STR has 12 months warranty it went back to dealer for a check and they have found that the telephone module needs replacing the cost being in the region of £900 The man from the Jaguar warranty company has to see the vehicle to assess the claim so he is visiting at 1300 hrs on Wednesday. I ain't a very happy bunny and told them that I have no intention of paying any money for the unit as the vehicle was not fit for purpose including all internal fittings. Should be an interesting day tomorrow. The intersting thing for me is that if they do have to fit a new telephone module unit it may work with my ipone 4s, and pigs will fly but you never know as the new unit should be the same as fitted to the new XF.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

I'm just checking... you have a car that cost about £50,000 new and a phone that is well known not to follow standards properly and was made after the car... but it's the car to blame? Explain please.

You bought it and in the process made it an express condition of the sale, preferably in writing, that it work with your specific phone (despite the above)?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'm just checking... you have a car that cost about £50,000 new and a phone that is well known not to follow standards properly and was made after the car... but it's the car to blame? Explain please.

You bought it and in the process made it an express condition of the sale, preferably in writing, that it work with your specific phone (despite the above)?
The STR will pair with an i-phone 4 but not the i-phone 4S I do not have a problem with it not pairing with my 4S which is a new phone so I do not expect the STR software to be compatable with the 4S. If you read my post the telephone module has a problem and needs replacing, when replaced the iphone 4 will work so no problem with the STR. That should answer your point. I did not make it an express condition that my 4S worked with the STR all my requirements were that it worked with the phones as specified in Jaguars phone details which says a i-phone 4 can be paired. My Partner has a i-phone 4 so all I will do is swop phones. I am not sure that the i-phone 4S will pair with anything other than year 2011.
A Nokia N8 will pair with my STR. There are a whole number of telephones that will pair as Jaguars list states.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

I see, I think.

I suppose the garage (or do you mean Jaguar themselves, remember they don't own the garages) are just protecting themselves in case of problems from any legal action.

It's odd that Apple didn't make the 4S work as they apparently made the (some version) work, perhaps even by checking against various cars. It's not like they make cheap devices so you might reasonably expect they would put in the effort to ensure compatibility. Oh well.

Or... maybe it will actually or mostly work.

Don't Apple have a list of cars etc they test their devices against...

Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I see, I think.

I suppose the garage (or do you mean Jaguar themselves, remember they don't own the garages) are just protecting themselves in case of problems from any legal action.

It's odd that Apple didn't make the 4S work as they apparently made the (some version) work, perhaps even by checking against various cars. It's not like they make cheap devices so you might reasonably expect they would put in the effort to ensure compatibility. Oh well.

Or... maybe it will actually or mostly work.

Don't Apple have a list of cars etc they test their devices against...

By all accounts apple are not the easist people to deal with. Jaguar do have a list of what telephones can be paired and to be honest in 2007 it could be paired to most including the iphone 4. The Warranty will not cover the replacement moule which would have cost £900 from Jaguar and £125,00 SH from JustJags on ebay. The garage in all fairness are going to fit a Parrot MKi9200 free of charge which will pair with my iphone 4S has a usb connection and uses the car speakers. I have researched and the reports are very good, so very good result for me. Even if a new module had been fitted I would not have been able to use my iphone 4S which I own and not rent. With the Parrot I will be able to play all tunes on my iphone and can also connect an mp3 player if I had one.
Your last question about do apple test their phones against all cars I don.t think apple give a rats @rse all they say its bluetooth 4 and thats it.