S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Ajar Warning

Old 12-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk Ajar Warning

I have a constant trunk ajar warning light on the dash telling me the trunk / boot is open. The trunk shuts and locks fine so there is something wrong with the wiring / switches I believe.

1. Important Note - The trunk seal was leaking and water was getting into the trunk from above. I didn't know until I found water in the spare tire well.
2. We found the water leak issue (dirt in the rubber seal) and corrected it and no water is leaking in.
3. About the time we corrected the water leak, I started to see the Trunk Ajar Warning. Now the trunk is bone dry but the warning will not go away
4. Many posts on this site talk about bad harness by the trunk hinge. Wiring appears to be fine (see pics)
5. Pushing the plunger in, the inside trunk light still stays on (see pic). The inside trunk light should go off when I manually push the plunger in correct? What is the correct behavior?

Any idea of the next steps I could take to run this rascal down?

Trunk light always on even when plunger is pushed in
Wiring harness looks fine around hinge
Can see any issues around battery and fuses appear fine

The following users liked this post:
Blondie120261 (11-13-2021)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Split the harness open carefully near the bottom of the trunk hinge (that is the part of the harness that gets "stretched". Check each wire. It's probably one of the black "ground" wires.

Good luck

Old 12-26-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Did you UNPLUG the switch??????
Maybe it is FAULTY???

bob

Old 12-26-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
Split the harness open carefully near the bottom of the trunk hinge (that is the part of the harness that gets "stretched". Check each wire. It's probably one of the black "ground" wires.
I will do that and see where it goes.

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Did you UNPLUG the switch?????? Maybe it is FAULTY???
The switch... are you talking about the switch that the plunger is mounted to? If so yes, we unplugged it, visually inspected it and plugged it back in. During the whole time the inside trunk light stayed on. We tried to complete the circuit on the female end like other posts described, but in the end, the inside trunk light continued to stay on without even a flicker of going off. I read in other posts, that when that happens, it most likely is wiring upstream. Am I on the right track here?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
I will look into it. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Did you UNPLUG the switch?????? Maybe it is FAULTY???
Are you talking about the switch on the plunger? If so, yes, we unplugged it, visually inspected it and put it back on (all the time the inside trunk light stayed on). We even tried to close the circuit by completing it on the female end (like other threads say) and yet the inside trunk light stayed constantly on without a flicker. The other threads on this forum say that it most likely would be an upstream wiring issue. Am I on the correct troubleshooting path here?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by themachine
Are you talking about the switch on the plunger? If so, yes, we unplugged it, visually inspected it and put it back on (all the time the inside trunk light stayed on). We even tried to close the circuit by completing it on the female end (like other threads say) and yet the inside trunk light stayed constantly on without a flicker. The other threads on this forum say that it most likely would be an upstream wiring issue. Am I on the correct troubleshooting path here?
Good troubleshooting disconnecting and then jumpering the switch. This thread may be of interest, specifically post #10:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...5/#post1812706

Note how the trunk switch is not connected directly to the trunk lights. The switch sends a signal to the Rear Electronic Control Module (RECM), which in turn provides a ground to turn on the lights. A damaged (waterlogged?) module may turn on the trunk light regardless of the switch position.

Watch the Trunk Ajar message while you play with the switch, including disconnecting and then jumpering it. That may give a clue if the module recognizes the switch input.