S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo kit

Hi, I've developed a turbo kit for the DEW98 platform which covers the Lincoln LS, Jaguar S-Type and Jaguar XF...

I already have two Lincoln LS' with turbo kits installed, and I'm looking to see if I can get with someone in the Socal Area to make sure that the kit works with the S-Type Jaguar. Mainly to see if any changes need to be made to adapt to the different makes.

here's a link to the tread on the lincoln site,

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=67716

Just making sure that we've been able to test the kit out on a Jaguar instead of just assuming it will work. So looking for someone to help us finish our testing.

If anyone is interested please contact me via pm here, lincolnvscadillac, or theturboforums.com under wildcardfox

thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While your turbo kit might appeal to the naturally aspirated crowd, our 4.2L and 4.0L V8 members own high strung, high compression ratio engines that really aren't set up to handle much of a power increase. The S-type R motor has beefed up internals, but already has a forced induction system.

If you would like to elicit a bigger response from the Jaguar crowd you might try working on an upgraded intercooler core kit for the S-type R or a complete twin rotor swap for our less than efficient eaton superchargers.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Actually high compression is not a problem. On my mustang for instance. I run 10:1 compression and with boost of 9 psi I'm at 700 rwhp.

It is just a matter of fuel and tuning which would be included.

Now you will have a threshold without upgraded internals, but for anyone lets say without the supercharger already you can increase to 400 rwhp. Now for a Vehicle like yours the R model you could either run the turbo instead and increase horsepower and torque, or run in conjunction with your supercharger in a compound boost setup for instance 5 psi on the turbo and you would be looking at around 600 rwhp.

Anything is possible with forced induction fi done right. Even if you have a high compression engine, which is all we (i.e. the people and race teams that I'm around) ever build engines to be.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 PM

it's all about options, and a turbo kit is a huge increase over the eaton supercharger. Or like I mentioned above if you ran in a compound boost setup.

No matter if you have forced induction already or you have model that is just naturally aspirated it would work with your vehicle.

But right now all I'm trying to do is get someone in the area so that we test and get the dyno numbers in on a Jaguar, as well as the other vehicles.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Also for vehicles without built motors it is the same as any other not forged internal motor. Boost levels are safe between 7-12 psi, which definitely improves the vehicles hp/torque and overall performance.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Come out here and you can use my STR as a test mule and toss a turbo on it w/ the blower....and then tune it.....you break it, you fix though

Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Riski
Come out here and you can use my STR as a test mule and toss a turbo on it w/ the blower....and then tune it.....you break it, you fix though
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not heading out to Chi town, and there is not going to be any breaking on.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Wildcardfox,

The Lincoln LS you referred to had the V6 engine. A couple of questions:

1. How much would a turbo kit cost for a 3.0 V6 S-Type?

2. What is the horsepower expected for such a kit?

3. Is there a warranty available?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Wildcardfox,

Thanks,

Mike
+1

Hmm... Order a six speed manual that came in the diesel S Type..Do a turbo.... He He He ...A V8 killer with 3.0 badges..

Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
+1

Hmm... Order a six speed manual that came in the diesel S Type..Do a turbo.... He He He ...A V8 killer with 3.0 badges..
Hi Jeff,

I don't think our cars even have the 3.0 badges...totally blank. Even better. I would keep the auto trans though. You're right about it being sneaky fast and just the thing for trolling for ricers. The last thing they would expect is to blown away by an old guy in a plain jane S-Type.

Mike

Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcardfox
Actually high compression is not a problem. On my mustang for instance. I run 10:1 compression and with boost of 9 psi I'm at 700 rwhp.
The 4.2 is stock 11:1 so is it going to be OK with turbos as well?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Mike,

But at what price? No way would it be worth it to me to try to soup up a 3.0. Our cars are made for highway cruising, not dragstripping. And I've got enough maintenance concerns on my hands as it is now. I don't even want to think about the headaches these things would create if they were turboed up and put even more stress on the drivetrain. Between the recent ZF and differential issues here on the forum, my trust level in the longevity of our S-Type has declined a few additional percentage points....

Last edited by Jon89; 08-31-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

+1.
I've seen plenty of these kits on cars installed by gurus and all I can say is run Forest run.

If you want something faster then go buy the factory version that will have a lot of engineering and a warranty behind it. If you want to have some fun experimenting that's another matter. That's fine too. Just bring money and patience. Lot's of each.

Bob S.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Mike,

But at what price? No way would it be worth it to me to try to soup up a 3.0. Our cars are made for highway cruising, not dragstripping. And I've got enough maintenance concerns on my hands as it is now. I don't even want to think about the headaches these things would create if they were turboed up and put even more stress on the drivetrain. Between the recent ZF and differential issues here on the forum, my trust level in the longevity of our S-Type has declined a few additional percentage points....
Hi Jon,

I'm more curious than anything else at this point. I remember SuperJag (I think) was trying to develop a turbo for a 3.0 but was unsucessful but maybe Wildcardfox might actually have a viable solution. While you or I may not want one, perhaps other owners might, considering 75% of the S-Types are V6s.

A couple of points to consider though.

1. The drivetrain is also used in the 2007-2009 XK series so it should be good up to 420 hp.

2. The 3.0 V6 engine is fairly understressed and should be able to handle modest tuning. I think Noble is using them in a turbo mode and they are getting 400-450 hp.

3. A lot of turbo applications have an adjustable wastegate to allow drivers to control power. Not sure if Wildcardfox's solution has one though. With the boost turned down your engine willl act like a normally aspirated one so reliability and fuel economy shouldn't be affected very much.

4. Your engine will have to be in pretty good shape to begin with otherwise you'll just be asking for trouble.

5. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless your car is out of warranty because this will invalidate the factory Jaguar warranty.

6. Turbos are actually better on the open road than a dragstrip due to the fact that the turbo is already spun up more than at a dead stop.

Mike

Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Wildcardfox,

Actually the kit that I built fits both v-6 and v-8 models with both transmissions, manual and automatic. I just had a V-8 car that we test fitted out master copy on last week. I also looked at Jag type-S and the entire underbody is the same, I just want to have one documented, just crossing all my T's and dotting my i's.
That still has not been determined yet. I want to be able to offer the kit with tuner and programmer included so that a person could buy, install, and have everything needed to run the car.

Other kits, without the programmer will be available at a lower cost.
Yet price for the kit will not be released until a month from now when all testing and documentation is completed. There will not be a difference in price for the V-6 to V-8 models, just depending on what is included. But still no price has been determined as of this time.

That Lincoln LS V-6 ran 400 rwhp. I would expect around the same, but that is all based on final boost level and our determination on where we want to leave the kits treshold at. However the turbo that we are using is a T-4 family turbo, with a 60-1 or 61 mm turbo that is capable of 550 rwhp. Larger turbos can be ordered, but the base kit will give room to grow, and the backside that we use, can offer the owner either instantaneous boost with a small A/R for the street light to street light crowd or midrange to high end for the more freeway oriented driver with a higher A/R.

Yes there will be a warranty. tentatively it is 6 months on the turbo and lifetime on the pipes.

Thanks,

Mike
Originally Posted by jagv8
The 4.2 is stock 11:1 so is it going to be OK with turbos as well?
Whenever you increase compression you lower boost, or you require less boost to be able to hit the same hp level. For instance on my cobra, most people run 8.5:1 compression ratio with lots of boost, which they think is little boost, ranging from 17-26 psi. However, anything over 12 psi is usually considered a fair amount of boost, over 20 and your just boosting. With those numbers they usually see 600-800 rwhp depending on which motor they have and differences between setup, but that is the usual range for the 4.6L and even 5.4L modular engines. From the shop and race team that I am from and where I was trained, Accufab Racing, we use high compression as a standard. Now for my engine that Accufab built, with a compression ration of 10:1 and on 8.8 psi, my car was at 700 rwhp and 608 ft/lbs of torque. The benefits are you need less psi to run the same boost, running less psi is less stress on the motor, and when you are not in boost... i.e. 95% of the time, as you are only in boost only 5% of the time, you still have an extremely torquey vehicle, as an 8.5:1 vehicle would be a slug down low and would require its poweradder just to move anywhere. Accufabs race engine either its 1 mile land speed record holder Ford GT (i.e. Heffner Gt) or its 6.19 second race car run 13:1 and 14:1 respectively on twin turbo applications.

Originally Posted by Jon89
Mike,

Price has not been determined and will not be determined until the kit is ready to be released. I am up here not selling, but asking is someone would like to help you finish our testing. A member of the lincoln forum just helped us out by letting us use their car, I'm trying to find someone here who would like to help us out in the same way.

Having a turbo on your vehicle does not mean that you are turning your vehicle into a drag racer. My vehicle I never take to the strip and it was built only with highway and top speed in mind. A properly built turbo kit or any power adder kit will add power and torque to a vehicle and the driving experience without destroying any internal parts or adding any stresses to the drivetrain. The main factors are design, tuning, and quality of parts (so parts failing is not a factor). The turbo kits that I will be offering not only for the DEW98 chassis' the new mustangs and all of the vehicles that we have scheduled to build within the next few months, will have the best parts, design, and come with a programmer with the tuning majesty of one of the best tuners in the nation. They will add your vehicle, improve your passing power, and enhance the overall experience of your drive. Also having a turbo will not kill your mpg... A well designed turbo kit can add to the efficiency of your vehicle. For instance, on my turbo cobra my highway mpg is 29- rivaling a honda civic si (and that was 75-80 mph on the freeway). As long as you have a good setup and good tune your mpg will not plummet or be affect in a large manner. However, if your foot is plastered to the floor you will definitely see a change.

Safe boost levels of the kit will be placed between 7-12 psi. Where people usually run into trouble on turbo kits is when people start exceeding the safe levels i.e. getting hp greedy. Now as Gordon Gekko from the movie Wall Street alluded to there is nothing wrong with Greed, but in an automotive sense only if you are well within your parameters... i.e. fuel system, engine components, etc. Once you push pass those that is when problems occur. This kits will be setup to run within safe parameter- they will have come with a tune, injectors and fuel system and if run as directed the owner will not run into any engine problems as a result of the vehicle being turbocharged. Only if a person exceeds these preset parameters without the right components will they run into any trouble, that is the same for this, to supercharger kits offered by Vortech, Paxton and Procharger, to even nitrous applications.

A turbo kit or any power adder is not for everyone. But in the next month when my company is ready to start selling products there will be a new wave of aftermarket products focused at your platform. From turbo kit, brake kits, strut tower braces, etc. We're also going to become a sponsor of this site Jaguarforums, Lincolnvscadillac, and any other site that features a community that we have products for.

The main point of a new product for your community is not the idea that this product will be appropriate for every owner and their vehicle needs, but the fact that there is now a choice. When I was asked to build the first turbo kit for the Lincoln LS, I was amazed at how dismal the aftermarket was. Partly, because when they built the DEW98 platform it was not designed for anything aftermarket what so ever. And you have a lot of people who love their cars and would love to be able to improve their vehicles- personalizing it into their dream car, but they don't have the chance to because of aftermarket worlds lack of products and lack of interest. Now there are some options perhaps more options than were available before; this turbo kit is an option.

Last edited by Wildcardfox; 08-31-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

the 4.2 is stock 11:1 so is it going to be ok with turbos as well?
it would be, especially with methanol water injection, a good intercooler(preferably water to air) and dont go nuts on boost. A bigger concern is addressing the additional fuel requirements under boost.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 PM

Hi Jon,

I'm more curious than anything else at this point. I remember SuperJag (I think) was trying to develop a turbo for a 3.0 but was unsucessful but maybe Wildcardfox might actually have a viable solution. While you or I may not want one, perhaps other owners might, considering 75% of the S-Types are V6s.

A couple of points to consider though.

1. The drivetrain is also used in the 2007-2009 XK series so it should be good up to 420 hp.

2. The 3.0 V6 engine is fairly understressed and should be able to handle modest tuning. I think Noble is using them in a turbo mode and they are getting 400-450 hp.

3. A lot of turbo applications have an adjustable wastegate to allow drivers to control power. Not sure if Wildcardfox's solution has one though. With the boost turned down your engine willl act like a normally aspirated one so reliability and fuel economy shouldn't be affected very much.

4. Your engine will have to be in pretty good shape to begin with otherwise you'll just be asking for trouble.

5. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless your car is out of warranty because this will invalidate the factory Jaguar warranty.

6. Turbos are actually better on the open road than a dragstrip due to the fact that the turbo is already spun up more than at a dead stop.

Mike
I was writing my response while you posted your reply. Thank you.

To all: I understand the stigmas of some previous companies and this across the board is a theme for all makes and models. There have been other previous attempts. Other companies that promised and could not deliver. Either with kit development, tuning capability or even the simple fact of a reasonable delivery time (some companies struggle getting a kit sent out within a 2 month time frame) this will not be the case here.

This kit for your vehicle is already finished. I just would like to be able to show Jaguar owners, look here is a Jag... here is our kit on a Jag, and here are the numbers. It's easier than saying here is a DEW98 Lincoln LS... Same stuff, and it will work on your Jag too. Plus it makes me know that if I did have to make a change in the intercooler pipes it was done before production starts and while I am still focused on the DEW98 platforms and not some other vehicle that is on the list of cars that I have to develop kits for.

The major kit difference that I have here, is within the company I have one of the best tuners in the nation who will be tuning vehicles down and giving them a good program to run their vehicle safely. Now this requirement is usually what sinks companies. That's where you are usually told... here's the kit, go find a tuner in your area. Not all tuners are equal and not all can handle all vehicles an makes. In this area is where this kit will shine. An owner can buy the version and have everything included all the way to possibly spark plugs and know that they have a well designed, well planned, with tuned program file from a reliable company that stands behind its products and its manufacturing capability.

Once again. The kit has been built. We know it works on your platform without ground clearance issues, scrapping or any other problems.

This kit is actually an old kit for me. I built it summer of '08, and left the car world, but it became a cult favorite on the Lincoln forums and I kept getting inquires. Recently I decided to go ahead and build it again. The one month from launch time frame has nothing to do on working with this kit, but all to do with logistics of getting final documentation, manuals made, and tie up lose ends with suppliers, as well as marketing all so that when the kit is available we are able to get kits delivered in 1 weeks time frame. It's a great kit, and would be an awesome addition to any of the Jags that share this platform whether it be an R model or the base models. We plan on being able to offer your community with the available parts to be able to run as much hp as you would like to have. This is turbo kit is just the start.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
it would be, especially with methanol water injection, a good intercooler(preferably water to air) and dont go nuts on boost. A bigger concern is addressing the additional fuel requirements under boost.
Actually water to air is better when left to the sanction racing events as the additives as ice, dry ice, etc. can be added. The only time it should be prefered is when there is no other case, as when you have the roots/screw type charger that is atop the manifold. Air to air is a better option for the street as its low inlet temps will not change do to the water not being able to cool itself. My first business I was an intercooler company. Even built a few cars that Vortech sent my way as their water to air was not efficient enough to run 1000 rwhp, so they told their customers to come my way. I first got into the business because I had a water to air and after 30 mins of driving my inlet temps were up in the 200 degree range due to the water not being able to cool itself. Also their is the worry of a faulty electric pump which would take away all intercooling ability if it failed to stop circulating the water Air to air is fool proof as there are nothing components that can fail.

I used to tell my customers to stay away from meth injection because I've been privy to dyno session for magazines where they threw out the article because the results were inconsistent. In any case, meth injection is never a substitute for a well designed intercooler kit.

We use garrett cores. They are one of the best and at the boost levels that we are planning our kits to be at they will be more than acceptable. On our previous kits when I used to go head to head with Paxton and Procharger their intercooler kits were only able to deliver 120 degree temps while my intercoolers were able to deliver 90 degree temps on the same vehicle. Granted both are huge improvements over no intercooler where the inlet air was at 236 degrees.

The kits will come with fuel injectors, pump etc. all to make sure that at our kits preset parameters the vehicle will be safe. Now if a customer wanted to run 600 rwhp and run 20 psi, they would need to upgrade to a larger fuel system, which will will probably have available for sale if people start moving up the hp ladder.

BTW really nice Jag in your signature.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I'm not in the market for any of this but it's good to see you here and I love reading

Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM

I'm not in the market for any of this but it's good to see you here and I love reading
Thank you for the welcome

Quick Reply: Turbo kit