F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default F-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues

Seems that the F-Type's OEM microphone for bluetooth calls is hit-or-miss. Some report that callers hear them loud and clear, even when driving with the top down. I am on the other end of the spectrum: people can barely hear me in my 2017 coupe, particularly when the car is moving.

Has anyone else resolved a similar issue with the OEM microphone?

Also, some have mentioned that problems could be caused by microphones coming loose in the housing. How do I access the microphone housing to see if I have this issue?

Old 06-17-2023, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I have the same issue as you. In my 2017 SVR coupe. People on the other end struggle to hear me. I can hear them fine. I've reset and repaired Bluetooth, checked all phone and car settings (not that there are many). I had zero issues with Bluetooth in my 2010 XF or the Land Rover. But the f type is almost unusable

I had the dealer investigate twice under warranty. They could replicate the issue, but no luck in resolution. They even bricked the screen control module trying to update software/firmware and had to replace that - still no fix

I wonder about the loose microphone (or even just a faulty microphone). So I would also love to know where it is and how to access it...

The following users liked this post:
car5m (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

OK - I did some investigating in the workshop manual. Microphone seems to be part number T2H3751
It's attached to the top of the instrument cluster - will send photo below. From the info:
A directional type microphone is fitted on top of the instrument cluster. It is connected to the Integrated Audio Module (IAM) for hands free telephony and DVC (Dynamic Volume Control) systems. The IAM has an integrated noise suppression and echo cancellation system for hands-free phone use.
When the Bluetooth® mobile phone is specified, the IAM supports the Bluetooth™ mobile phone functionality and audio streaming. Bluetooth® mobile phone software and a Bluetooth® antenna are located within the IAM. The software within the IAM processes the Bluetooth® wireless signals from the users Bluetooth® mobile phone and allows audio output, voice input and data display on the TS. The hands free microphone is hardwired to the IAM. The microphone is used for the voice control system and hands free telephone

BLUETOOTH® PHONE SYSTEM

The Bluetooth® mobile phone system is controlled from the TS, via the left steering wheel switchpack. Signals from the steering wheel switchpack are sent via the clockspring to the TS. The TS sends control signals on the MOST ring to the IAM, where these signals are sent via Bluetooth to the connected mobile phone. Speech is picked up by the microphone and sent to the IAM. Audio from the mobile phone is sent from the IAM on the MOST ring to the audio amplifier module and is output on the vehicle speaker system. The hands free profile of the system allows the display of the network signal strength, network operator and phone battery level indication on the vehicle display, where the mobile phone supports this function. Also, if applicable, the mobile phone will show a "car" or "headset" symbol to indicate it is in hands free profile.

car5m (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
car5m (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

And instructions for removal and refit

F-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues-photo515.jpgF-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues-photo877.jpgF-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues-photo236.jpgF-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues-photo908.jpgF-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues-photo706.jpgF-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues-photo159.jpgF-Type OEM bluetooth microphone issues-photo928.jpg

car5m (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 03:02 PM

Thank you for the exceptionally informative post on where to find the microphone and how to replace it. It’s not as simple as I would have hoped! I’m not confident enough to do it myself (I’m terrified at the prospect of breaking a trim fastener) and I’ll probably mandate the dealer to do it.

Do you know whether your dealer looked at the microphone itself when investigating the problem under warranty?

Also, one of my fears with any work involving interior trim is whether taking it apart and putting it back together will create squeaks and rattles in the long run.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:46 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,398 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I've never had any issues with the mic in my MY18 R AWD. I had my first incoming call just after I paired my phone during the handover at the dealer! So I knew that part of the car was working, great timing ....

Old 06-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hi - I don't think my dealer looked at the mic itself unfortunately. And I didn't get smart enough on where it is and options to replace before I took it in. I would guess (total guess) that it's an hour of work and $100 part so maybe something to pay and have them try. I agree on potential rattles though...

I have no idea how it picks up sound buried in the center console though...

Old 06-18-2023, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi - I don't think my dealer looked at the mic itself unfortunately. And I didn't get smart enough on where it is and options to replace before I took it in. I would guess (total guess) that it's an hour of work and $100 part so maybe something to pay and have them try. I agree on potential rattles though...

I'll try to book an appointment at the dealer this week and let you know if it resolves the issue. If that doesn't work, I will look into installing an aftermarket microphone.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:19 AM
Received 136 Likes on 83 Posts

The mic in mine(2015) is fine but it can be better, I don't think it's solely the mic, it's a combination of mediocre mic and cabin noise at speed.

I have taken that panel apart except taking the gauge cluster out, I were replacing the leather on the gauge cluster cover.

Nothing was hard but, the steering wheel cover(the plastic under the gauge cluster) never went back in right, the plastic piece hiding the cover screw(underside of gauge cluster cover at the center) wasnt going back flush.

I didn't know the mic was located there, other wise I'd have fiddled with it and see if I can place the UAD mic there, the UAD mic was unusable compared to the OEM mic.

Now I have stepped into another 2015, the mic is still mediocre, but I'm faced with another issue, the incoming call volume is very poor, it always default to volume 40 even though I have the setting set max and manually crank it to max(47) every time . every other cars i have had, max volume would be downright unbearably loud and it's barely acceptable here.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by car5m
Thank you for the exceptionally informative post on where to find the microphone and how to replace it. It’s not as simple as I would have hoped! I’m not confident enough to do it myself (I’m terrified at the prospect of breaking a trim fastener) and I’ll probably mandate the dealer to do it.

Do you know whether your dealer looked at the microphone itself when investigating the problem under warranty?

Also, one of my fears with any work involving interior trim is whether taking it apart and putting it back together will create squeaks and rattles in the long run.
Interesting. I thought it was using the cell phone mic because callers said it sounded better when I moved the phone. Does the emergency support system have mics in the headliners?

Old 06-18-2023, 05:43 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Interesting point. My mic works fine, but I recall one call where I answered it on the phone, rather than the screen. When I did that, it used the phone’s mic and speaker, rather than the car’s. Upshot: initiate and answer calls via the infotainment screen, not the phone. Caveat: mine’s a MY14 with the old infotainment system.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:55 PM
Received 136 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Interesting point. My mic works fine, but I recall one call where I answered it on the phone, rather than the screen. When I did that, it used the phone’s mic and speaker, rather than the car’s. Upshot: initiate and answer calls via the infotainment screen, not the phone. Caveat: mine’s a MY14 with the old infotainment system.
Mine does it too, happens both when I answer from the steering wheel button or dialing out from the phone.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:51 PM

I resolved my microphone issues in the most unexpected manner!

As previously mentioned, I was having significant phone call issues in my 2017 F-Type with Bosch infotainment. I could hear everyone clearly whereas they could barely hear me inside the car. The in-car microphone was cutting in and out, and the volume of my voice was fluctuating from normal to imperceptibly quiet. This was true across any phone that I paired to the car (though I only tried Apple devices). I deduced that the OEM microphone was at fault, i.e. either broken or loose in its housing in the dash. After all, my phone bluetooth connection otherwise worked well for streaming music and hearing other callers.

Lo and behold, the phone and OEM microphone began working flawlessly the moment I installed a CarPlay and AndroidAuto Integration from GTA Car Kits:
https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/w...ype-2014-2017/

The kit uses the car's OEM mic but has it's own bluetooth receiver and processor. I therefore suspect that my problem was not the F-Type's OEM microphone but potentially one to two things:
- The F-Type's OEM software filter intended to eliminate microphone feedback was buggy
- Alternatively, the OEM bluetooth connection was somehow faulty

On a side note, the GTA Car Kit also has call echo / feedback out of the box but this is easily remedied by running the unit's anti-echo calibration procedure in the control panel. I will review the kit in a separate thread (TLDR: it's excellent) but suffice it to say I'm elated with my purchase.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars

Hi BritCars, were you ever able to resolve the microphone issue?

Old 08-06-2023, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many owners of the 2017 Jaguar F-Type coupe have reported issues with the OEM microphone for Bluetooth calls. Some callers struggle to hear the driver clearly, especially with road noise when the convertible top is down. To address this, some owners have successfully resolved the problem by checking and adjusting the microphone housing, which might become loose or improperly positioned. However, if unsure about the process, seeking professional assistance from an automotive technician or dealership is recommended for proper resolution.

Old 08-07-2023, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madomystrong_2
Many owners of the 2017 Jaguar F-Type coupe have reported issues with the OEM microphone for Bluetooth calls. Some callers struggle to hear the driver clearly, especially with road noise when the convertible top is down. To address this, some owners have successfully resolved the problem by checking and adjusting the microphone housing, which might become loose or improperly positioned. However, if unsure about the process, seeking professional assistance from an automotive technician or dealership is recommended for proper resolution.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:14 PM
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Anybody in this thread every get the call quailty issues resoved with the Mic? I was thinking of just unplugging the one in the instrument cluster and installing a new one in the headliner above the drivers head. Handsfree calling sound good as long as your not moving. The location of the mic may have alot to do with the road noise at highway speed.