US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Last Minute Drop & Go Tulip Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Last Minute Drop & Go Tulip Drive

On a spur of the moment, we have decided we can wait no longer for our first Jag drive of the new year. The Skagit Delta tulip fields are coming into bloom much earlier than usual this year. The official Tulip Festival is in April, with all the traffic, crowds, tour busses, etc. but right now we can miss most of that and just see the beautiful fields in glorious color.

We are going tomorrow, Saturday, March 19th. Any that are able to drop everything on short notice are welcome to join us. We could meet (9AM?) at the Smokey Point rest area as we have before, enjoy the drive and the colorful sights, maybe have a nice lunch in the art colony town of LaConner, and just enjoy the day. Please reply if you have any interest, otherwise we'll just go on our own.

Peace,
Kevin

Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 AM

I have just seen the latest "bloom report." The daffodils are currently in "full bloom." The tulips are just coming into bloom, but are a few days away from "full bloom." Apparently next weekend should be perfect, but I cannot make it then and I won't fight the April crowds (and the blooms will be fading by then anyway) so it's now or never.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Ah Cr@p! Why ya gotta do this to me Swimref?
Here I was gettin ready to get three sheets in the wind this evening..... Now I gotta ponder that thought.....
Sigh...

(Oh, and my car is dusty....)

I'll let ya know a tad later tonight....
V

Old 03-18-2016, 07:57 PM

Mine's not just dusty, it's filthy, but I don't care. Just got done bringing the tires up to spec and checking all fluid levels. I'm good to go! If you need us to get a later start or anything else I'm good with that. We miss you, my friend, and would love to have your company.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Sorry.
I just tried to get out of my obligations for tomorrow, but it just isn't meant to be... (Moms know the right buttons to push once you promise to come over and lend a hand...) Too much outside work I've put off for too long due to rain....

Thanks for starting the season on what looks to be a cool drive! Hope others pop up and join in!
I'd given my eye teeth to pull Kitty out and visit with you both, not to mention a chance to finally see the tulips! (Grrrr, Still waiting for the chance to check those out! 3+ decades here and not once!)...
Are you certain about next weekend? Cause I have it wide open!

V

Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Next weekend is Easter, and my birthday, and the precinct caucuses, and dinner with my daughter, etc. etc. So no, I'm out.

I'm sure if you planned a drive and gave people a little warning you would get some takers.

Hope to see you soon.
K

Old 03-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Hope you had a great time!

Old 03-21-2016, 05:50 PM

We had a really great time. First of all, there was absolutely NO traffic. I have been there several times on April weekends in the past and at times it is literally bumper-to-bumper. This was incredibly relaxing and fun without all those cars and busses. The daffodil fields were in full glory, it was very impressive to see acres and acres just a sea of bright yellow. The tulips were just coming in, a few fields had full color (reds, whites, violet tones, etc.) but most were green with spots of color intermixed. For the first time I had time to drive the whole area including the various cross roads.

We got very lucky for lunch in LaConner. We checked out the LaConner Brewing Company but it was not on the water and the posted menu prices were high to the point of gouging ($20 and up for standard sandwiches). We drove down the street a ways to the oldest part of town and found a joint in continuous operation since 1937 and on and off since 1917. The LaConner Pub and Eatery is right on the water and had a full menu with more rational prices. We had a corner table right on the water with a 270 degree view, lots of rustic charm and two of the best sandwiches with soup we have ever had. In case we ever have a group drive in this area, we asked and found they take reservations for larger groups. I heartily recommend this place, in my opinion the second best lunch we have ever had on a Jag drive (the pizza in Grand Coulee is still number one).

I'm really glad we got out and did the drive, the weather was quite good and as I said it was so relaxing with no crowds.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

That pizza was either really great or we were really hungry! Your restaurant sounds perfect. When I was in flight training we'd go to lunch for a "$100 hamburger" which meant flying to the next airport for lunch, just to have an excuse to fly. I suppose checking out restaurants is as good a reason as any to go driving our jags! We are going up to see the tulips in April as a family outing. (I think we're riding a bus! Blech!)