X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Jag x-type cruise unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Jag x-type cruise unavailable

I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 manual. Within the last few months the car will say cruise unavailable and a yellow light will go on. The car also wants to stall if I go over 3000 RPMs. I was told to change the fuel pump and filter and it will solve the problem. I changed it and the problem continued. I then changed the thermostat because my car scan listed it as one of the problems. It didn't recur for a few days but eventually the warning came back. Any suggestion on how I can fix this problem myself. Thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum RedJag02,

I've moved your post from the Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Centre to the X-Type section to get a wider response from members with the same model.

When you get a minute, please follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 01-23-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have the cruise unavailable message most likely you cars will be in limp mode meaning you won't be able to rev past a certain point. It does this to protect the engine, I had the same problem on my 2.5 and all it turned out to be was the auto linkage cable needed resetting. Over time they can move out of position once I'd done this I never had the message again. If you look on the UK forum I'm sure you will find someone who can explain how to reset the cable better than I can?

Hope it helps? Good luck

Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Redjag02, like GGG said, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of good information here. So, stop by the New Member section, introduce yourself and go from there. I think you will find us a very friendly bunch.

As for your problem, the first thing I would do is to stop by your local auto parts place and see if they can read the code(s) for you or if they will give you the code reader so you can read them yourself. Note the codes down (should be PXXXX where the XXXX is a 4 digit number). That will help a lot with figuring out specifically where your problem is.

Secondly, open up the hood of your car and look at the hole that is behind the battery. Now, follow the air intake back a little farther to the throttlebody (the silver bulge in the intake right before it make a turn to the intake runners). Look on the side of the throttlebody towards the driver's tire. You should see a plug going into the throttlebody on the under side. Look at this wiring and make sure that it is in good condition. Critters seem to like the wiring right there for some reason. if it is damaged, let me know. Take a picture if at all possible too.

Secondly, get your hands on a can of "throttlebody cleaner". Do not use carb cleaner. Not the same stuff. Now, remove the intake tube off the front of the throttle body. Insert the straw on to the end of the can of throttlebody cleaner and using one hand, hold open the disk inside the throttlebody open as you use the other hand to spray the inside of the throttlebody. If you see brown, you want to try and spray it away. Make sure to also get the edge of the disk as the brown will tend to build up there. The brown is varnish and whatnot that is formed inside the engine from various vapors. This will tend to cause the throttlebody to stick, which can cause the computer to see the throttlebody as not responding, throwing code(s). As a side note, you may find that starting the car right after doing this is going to result in the car being hard to start. You have essentially flooded the car. In this case, hold the gas pedal on the floor as you start the car. By doing this, you are telling the computer that the engine is flooded and not to send any fuel to the motor as you start it. Crank the car over and once the engine catches, you can let your foot up and then feather the gas a little bit to keep the engine running.

Like was mentioned, when you got the "Cruise Not Available" message, the motor went into "Limp Mode". What this means is the motor is now limited to 3,000 RPM. Going above 3,000 RPM causes the computer to shut off fuel to the cylinders until the RPMs drop back down below 3,000.

Hope this gets you back on the road. In worst cases, members have had to replace their throttlebodies and that can be a fairly expensive affair if you can't do the work yourself (or get a buddy to do it for you). If you need more info about putting a new throttlebody in, let me know.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CarMD and these are the diagnostic codes retrieved P0171, P0174, P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P1316, P0420,and P1000..