X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 3.0l sport wagon with DSC transfer case interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Mwag630: Search the internet for "how to test abs wheel speed sensor with a multimeter". One example is below.

For each wheel speed sensor, you will perform 2 tests:

1) Continuity: Set the multimeter to measure resistance / ohms and confirm the wire thru the ABS sensor is not broken / has continuity, and that your multimeter wires are properly connected to the ABS sensor leads.

2) Signal: Set the multimeter to measure AC volts and spin the wheel hub by hand to confirm the speed sensor generates AC voltage which varies with the speed you spin the wheel hub.

From what you describe, you will probably discover the front driver side speed sensor does not generate an AC signal, most likely because the wheel bearing is installed backwards with the magnet too far from the speed sensor to generate a signal.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwclapp
Mwag630: Search the internet for "how to test abs wheel speed sensor with a multimeter". One example is below.

For each wheel speed sensor, you will perform 2 tests:

1) Continuity: Set the multimeter to measure resistance / ohms and confirm the wire thru the ABS sensor is not broken / has continuity, and that your multimeter wires are properly connected to the ABS sensor leads.

2) Signal: Set the multimeter to measure AC volts and spin the wheel hub by hand to confirm the speed sensor generates AC voltage which varies with the speed you spin the wheel hub.

From what you describe, you will probably discover the front driver side speed sensor does not generate an AC signal, most likely because the wheel bearing is installed backwards with the magnet too far from the speed sensor to generate a signal.
I got it sorted today. It was multiple issues. Sensor lead wasn't hooked properly, the bearing was damaged when installed, but was in correctly, a warped brake rotor also. After replacing bearing and rotor. I still had some very minor brake shudder so I took a shot in the dark and adjusted the brake booster rod in by two turns. Brakes working perfect, ABS is working perfect and no fault codes of any kind. I'm going to do a hard reset in the morning. (Negative cable to positive cable while still on terminal for 5 minutes) and take It out for an hour of normal driving to let it relearn. Thank you very much for all your help. I'm truly grateful!!!

Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

"Negative cable to positive cable while still on terminal for 5 minutes",

Obviously a misstatement, negative touching positive BOTH REMOVED from terminals.