X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air blend door/ jaguar fogging- help greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air blend door/ jaguar fogging- help greatly appreciated!

I have a 2002 jaguar x-type with 120,000 miles. Last year the car started to collect LOTS of condensation and fog on the windows. I took it to the dealer, and they said the air blend door needed to have super glue or epoxy. I live in Ohio and recently with cold weather the car un-fogs fine and then while I am driving it in the AM, it fogs up again. It doesn’t do this in the afternoon as much, but does it in the morning and sometimes evenings. I am taking it back to the dealer and they said they would re-do the work since it may not have taken the first time. They did warn me if everything is still glued in place the repair could be 2K or more. My recirculation button will not work at all when I press it. It won’t click and the light won’t turn on (which is a new issue) so my question is, what may cause the button to not work, and does it seem like a big fix? The glue may not have taken during the original fix, but it cannot be fixed, can I have them manually jam the door open so that it brings in fresh air, but how will that affect the AC in the summer? I simply refuse to put another 2K into a car that’s turning 9 this year. I just had the 120K service check, and all the regular maintenance done by the dealer, so I am assuming that the pollen filter has been changed by the dealer. Thanks for the help!!
My settings (recommended by dealer)
A/C defrost front and rear on and 66-68 degrees F

Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fogging has been found by UK members to be caused by a soggy pollen filter - have a search on the UK forum for some remedies.
HTH
Jim

Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you sure when the dealer repaired it last time they didn't do something to the mechanism for recirculation? That's my first guess. My concern would be where is the moisture in the morning coming from that it fogs the windows. I know when mine had a leak in the windshield it was constantly fogging up because it would heat the interior, cause the evaporation and fog the windows, cleared immediately but still was an issue. Is there moisture in the carpets? One of the resident electrical gurus can better explain how the recirculation works, would seem something is unplugged if it worked and now it doesn't, get the dealer to double check their work.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

recirc function is very straighforward. all the air for the climate control system must pass through the fan. It is above the passenger's feet. The fan draws air from above and there is a simple flap that only has 2 positions, either all the air come from outside, or all from inside. Typically when the failure occurs the flap is stuck in the inside air only position. There is really no need for the recirculation except for the fastest heat up and cool down speed. Even the button on the dashboard only temporarily puts the car in recirc mode. It needs to be in fresh air position 99% of the time, maybe more. re-breathing your own air is not healthy anyay...
If you remove the glove compartment, it is easy to move the flap. and only somewhat more difficult to re-glue the part again. I have done mine twice now.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell that I had this severe fogging broblem when I bought my X and my broblem was this recirc flap and I just put it open position... but there's a big broblem in long tunnels like I had in Norway in 15km tunnel when I had to breath diesel smoke all the way, that was not fun at all, I felt claustropfobic in there. I must take my time and make proper fixing into it.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Westville , nice one , my X has been steaming up something rotten in these snowy conditions , soggy pollen filter would explain it , thankyou ,

Mike.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the pollen filter today , looked ok , turned out to be the air blend door stuck in the sucking cabin air position , took off the motor ( pain in the bum ) manually turned the drum / flap to the fresh air position and put it all back together - sorted , no fogging at all , I love this forum , only thing is I now can't shut off the outside world but hey! small price to pay for clear vision , I can always do a proper fix later , when the weather clears up a bit .

Thanks guys ,

Mike.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just FYI, while you were checking the pollen filter, you could have removed it and accessed the flap right behind it.
You can move it to the fresh air position from behind the filter.

It is easiest to move from below if you remove the blower fan. But you could have saved yourself some work.

The following users liked this post:
Mike X (12-13-2010)